Catholic Education System crying foul over new funding system

Remove this Banner Ad

I remember reading a stat that public students in WA cost on average $10,000 per student per year, independent school students cost the government $3,000 on average per student.

The numbers could show that independent school students x 3000 = amount government saves.

But, if those families can't pick up the extra $60 a week shortfall from no longer being funded then they move their children to public schools and now you're spending $7,000 extra per student instead on some principal.

It actually looks cheaper to send all children to independent schools.

Personally I believe that all students should be awarded equal funding no matter where they are educated, the right should be enshrined in the constitution that the government had equal duty to educate all children.

Then those that need extra help are awarded extra help and those parents who want to pay for something more can pay for more.

But I would like it if the quality of education is so high at it's base level that the value of those extra independent school fees are questioned.

Cult school

Lmao, you'd almost think that Chief has not had any experience with Catholic schools over the past 30 years.

It is what they are. If you gather a group together and teach them that dead people can come back to life through magic, that the universe was created by a human-like being who still watches their every move, and that people who don't accept this are marked for eternal damnation, then what do you expect to be called?

But it's cool. Focus on the one word. That'll work.

The biggest problem facing education in Australia is the very existence of private schools. Basic education should not be a marketable commodity requiring elaborate and expensive landscaping and statuary, along with a feigned belief in the supernatural. It is appallingly misguided and bordering on insanity.

Then again my friend who teaches at my old Catholic school claims that in his experience the best way to make a child atheist is to send them to a religious school.

Anyway if private schools went down they would take public schools down with them. The system is ****** but without private schools everyone would overload the public system unless there is some major reworking done at the same time.
Why would it? If private schools weren't being funded then obviously the government would then have more money to put back into the public education system.

It is what they are. If you gather a group together and teach them that dead people can come back to life through magic, that the universe was created by a human-like being who still watches their every move, and that people who don't accept this are marked for eternal damnation, then what do you expect to be called?

But it's cool. Focus on the one word. That'll work.

The biggest problem facing education in Australia is the very existence of private schools. Basic education should not be a marketable commodity requiring elaborate and expensive landscaping and statuary, along with a feigned belief in the supernatural. It is appallingly misguided and bordering on insanity.

Then again my friend who teaches at my old Catholic school claims that in his experience the best way to make a child atheist is to send them to a religious school.
The Catholic schools I attended never pretended that creationism was real, or that we would go to hell for sinning.

The majority of our religious classes were focused on social issues such as euthanasia, and they were always supportive of those types of things being legalised.

But sure, let's just pretend that Catholic schools are still stuck in the 1960s.

I mean, that's what you want to believe so that it suits your argument, right?

The Catholic schools I attended never pretended that creationism was real, or that we would go to hell for sinning.

The majority of our religious classes were focused on social issues such as euthanasia, and they were always supportive of those types of things being legalised.

But sure, let's just pretend that Catholic schools are still stuck in the 1960s.

I mean, that's what you want to believe so that it suits your argument, right?

Must have been all the homosexuals and Jews they hired teaching you that rot!!!1111

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

View attachment 374175

That wouldn't be because there are less Private Schools would it :drunk:

Lol - per student.

The conservative/religious view is that money and resources magically disappear when a child goes to a government school.

Given what they believe about magic, it doesn't surprise me. ;)

Last edited:
Lol - per student.

The conservative/religious view is that money and resources magically disappear when a child goes to a government school.

Given what they believe about magic, it doesn't surprise me
. ;)

I'd love to hear you stating anything like this in a Muslim thread.

It's funny how this never occurs there, isn't it? :)

I'd love to hear you stating anything like this in a Muslim thread.

It's funny how this never occurs there, isn't it? :)

"A Muslim thread"?

All magical religious thinking is ridiculous and wrong-headed.

[QUOTE="Chief, post: 50443695, member: 5766

[/QUOTE]

can't agree with this.

the main problems are fourfold:

1 - most parents take little to no interest in their children's education c.f. a lot of asian parents

2 - there is a focus on facilities and technology rather than learning - money would be better spent on better teachers (the barriers to entry for teaching are incredibly low and a lot of teachers are very poor, even at 'elite' private schools)

3 - the system is weighted towards wrote learning rather than critical thinking

4 - it seems to me that the system is scared of being seen as discriminatory and won't stream kids from an early age (c.f. Germany and other euro countries) - how there are less than 5 select entry schools in melbourne to my knowledge is austounding.

[QUOTE="Chief, post: 50443695, member: 5766

can't agree with this.

1 - most parents take little to no interest in their children's education c.f. a lot of asian parents

2 - there is a focus on facilities and technology rather than learning - money would be better spent on better teachers (the barriers to entry for teaching are incredibly low and a lot of teachers are very poor, even at 'elite' private schools)

4 - it seems to me that the system is scared of being seen as discriminatory and won't stream kids from an early age (c.f. Germany and other euro countries) - how there are less than 5 select entry schools in melbourne to my knowledge is austounding.[/QUOTE]

Can you show some sort of evidence for point 1 for a start?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

can't agree with this.

4 - it seems to me that the system is scared of being seen as discriminatory and won't stream kids from an early age (c.f. Germany and other euro countries) - how there are less than 5 select entry schools in melbourne to my knowledge is austounding.

Can you show some sort of evidence for point 1 for a start?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app[/QUOTE]

on a relative basis you would think there would be little argument that parents in for example Singapore, Malaysia, Japan, China, Korea and other advanced Asian economies place far greater emphasis on education than we do in australia and that this is reflected in educational outcomes.

facilities and money don't matter much if values are adjusted.

It is possible to discuss this issue without slagging off christians and their beliefs
The word "cult" seems to have raised the ire of some people who are not tolerant of religions other than their own.

The word "cult" seems to have raised the ire of some people who are not tolerant of religions other than their own.

Im not a christian, but its obvious you are choosing that word to provoke an angry reaction

Remove this Banner Ad

Back