Western Magpies

Remove this Banner Ad

Were they TAC kids though Blocker that were attached to Keilor? Bit like saying Hipwood was drafted from Caloundra or Freeman from Noosa..

Think the Academies do have alot of kids in them and many that will never go anywhere other than (hopefully) playing good footy in Qld BUT tell me what other option do they have? Limit numbers? We all know that if the program is opened up to more rather than less that the chance of someone coming through will be greater. If you limit it to the boys who look good at 15 then you can forget about finding the next late developer.
The biggest issue the Academy has, and not necessarily of their own making, is that too many boys get miles ahead of themselves and think they are half a step away from being listed.
Interesting discussion at AFL level right now around the right age to make the draft. I have always felt 19 is the right age - ensures a kid can play a year of senior footy somewhere and see how he goes. At the moment it is a total raffle. The AFL proudly state that something like 25% of picks 1-20 play 50 games or more (might be wrong on the exact stat) which to me is a horrible hit rate.

Were they TAC kids though Blocker that were attached to Keilor? Bit like saying Hipwood was drafted from Caloundra or Freeman from Noosa..

Think the Academies do have alot of kids in them and many that will never go anywhere other than (hopefully) playing good footy in Qld BUT tell me what other option do they have? Limit numbers? We all know that if the program is opened up to more rather than less that the chance of someone coming through will be greater. If you limit it to the boys who look good at 15 then you can forget about finding the next late developer.
The biggest issue the Academy has, and not necessarily of their own making, is that too many boys get miles ahead of themselves and think they are half a step away from being listed.
Interesting discussion at AFL level right now around the right age to make the draft. I have always felt 19 is the right age - ensures a kid can play a year of senior footy somewhere and see how he goes. At the moment it is a total raffle. The AFL proudly state that something like 25% of picks 1-20 play 50 games or more (might be wrong on the exact stat) which to me is a horrible hit rate.

Bit of everything SMY. Some came through TAC but I know of at least 2 or 3 that were a bit older went from Keillor to VFL Level then got elevated via Rookie List.

I think Academies need to be more honest with kids up front as to where they are at. Both Lions and Suns would have their 4 or 5 they are keen on at each age level. Not sure what they get out of dragging kids from senior QAFL Clubs and NEAFL if they really never fully invested into them.

Now no QLD U18 State side makes it even harder for kids from 10-28 in each academy to get looked at on National stage?

I reckon if they only had kids from 14-18 in their Academies and hand picked the ones they want and work with them. Then it's up to the other kids back at club level to try and improve to get elevated. That way they not tearing clubs apart and using kids as training partners.

I think it needs at least discussion as to how it should work anyway at club level.

All the academy kids not picked for the Allies and not on NEAFL lists are back at their clubs now anyway. Whether they be QAFL clubs or QFA clubs.

There is a 17 year old kid playing at Coorparoo from the academy that is already the best player in their side (including the Lakes, Enright, Dosser, Gibson etc) and we would love to get hold of him before June 30! Too to be playing Div 1!

Thats another arguement I reckon Doddsy - not sure playing at Morningside will fast track over playing at Coorparoo - the kid will play finals at Coorparoo in Div 1, probably not at Morningside. Both have good coaching groups which to me is far more important than what level of footy they are playing (within reason - agree Div 2 footy probably doesnt push them enough).

Blocker - having no State 18's team has only allowed MORE kids to be identified at National level, not less. You now have approximately 60 boys showing their wares at this level rather than 30. The reasoning for this is to ensure the kid who has had a slow start to the season (February) isnt automatically eliminated from calculations like in the past as this is when the State team was finalised. Unlike Victoria that has a high quality U18 comp in the TAC that catches these kids and allows them to still show their capabilities, we have got nothing. Noone gets drafted from the QAFL - it isnt of a high enough standard to register on recruiters radars. Now these kids still get their chance (may have gone from #1-10 back to 11-20 in the Lions list but still playing) to push their barrow at the top under age level. I was not a fan initially but seen it at play this year and think it will mean that somewhere between 4-7 boys will be drafted from Qld this year. Probably more than WA and definitely Tas ...

Plenty of blokes drafted from QAFL, but QAFL isn't where they were noticed. This will change in time also, as the QAFL has only been around 3 seasons.

about 6 kids drafted from QAFL clubs in the last 4 seasons (but all nominally and literally) were drafted via the state representative program first and foremost.

Look at Uebergang, Buzza and Smith.

Uebergang went Ipswich > Western Magpies > Redland > Freo
Buzza went Mt Gravatt > Redland > Cats
Smith went Siders > Redland > Pies

Want to get drafted? Go to Redland
Want to win a NEAFL premiership? Go to Aspley

Want to play EDFL Reserves? Go to Park Ridge!

Plenty of blokes drafted from QAFL, but QAFL isn't where they were noticed. This will change in time also, as the QAFL has only been around 3 seasons.

about 6 kids drafted from QAFL clubs in the last 4 seasons (but all nominally and literally) were drafted via the state representative program first and foremost.

Sexton too, he went Springwood > Redland > Suns
Oxley always at Redlands but he went to Collingwood
Probably others too but they come to mind straight up

You might be onto something there Doddsy75

Heaps of redland blokes drafted.

Thomas, Buzza, Smith, Oxley, Sexton, Hunter, Uebergang, O'shea, Keays, West, Howard, Dixon, Michael, Spurr, Hiummelburg, Grewer.

At BT would say, its a 'footy factory' !

Typical smug Morningside comment. Seeing you know me I will definitely be finding out who you are.

So Buzza, Upergang only playing VFL anyway?

Can't see why the knock on trying to get more kids opportunities. Definitely rather see them enjoying their footy and getting a crack at same level as Buzza, Upegang.

Buzza and Uebergang are both on AFL lists. Pretty hard for Uebergang to play VFL when he is listed with Freo.

Not hard to work out who I am, my name is Doddsy - and no, I have no idea who you are

Haha - I dont think so Doddsy - no one was drafted from any of those QAFL teams, they were drafted from a NEAFL team. Matters little that they went via a QAFL club except some QAFL clubs do a better job than others with the player. With that logic may as well say go and play at Caloundra because they have had about 10 blokes on lists over the past 20 years. Not sure anyone looks at QAFL footy for drafting - maybe recruiting to a NEAFL club but the only place a guy will be drafted in Qld is from the Academy program or a NEAFL side - simple as that. But yes I agree, Redlands has been superb in getting blokes to AFL clubs. And I dont rate premierships at NEAFL level so think Redlands are on right track.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back