2017 - Non Yeo Discussion (Formerly Non Freo Discussion)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep some pretty ordinary decisions going against them and then how bad did Wines in the forward line cop it? He should have pretty much had a free every entry with the way the defender was holding and infringing

Gray you mean? He was mugged every time he was one out.

They even managed to pay a free to Geelong for shepherding while he was busy being tackled in a marking contest. Was the ump even watching him get scragged or scanning the ground looking for possible Cats frees to pay instead?

Gray would get more frees if he didn't stage for them. Like Walters and Thomas the umpire have him marked, even that last one tonight that the main board is in meltdown about his first inclination was to play for the free by throwing his arms out before he was truly manhandled.
The really strange one is Selwood, how that *er continues to get six frees a game is beyond me

Did anyone see that play when Selwood muffed his disposal and then collapsed to the ground looking for a free kick ... only problem there was nobody around to tackle him. It was comical and pathetic.

Anyone else think it strange/dumb that Scott Selwood would just bomb it down the line with 40 sec to play ??
Why he didn't look for a short option to wind the clock down had me beat....
I missed the Dixon 'play on' just before the end - what happened there ??

I didn't see it either but what I have gathered is he didn't begin his approach before the shot clock hit 30 seconds.

Anyone else think it strange/dumb that Scott Selwood would just bomb it down the line with 40 sec to play ??
Why he didn't look for a short option to wind the clock down had me beat....

Yeah, as gaskin said, with about 3 mins to play, 30 seconds was up and called play on.

I couldn't hear commentary, not sure how they called it, I'm sure some people have already counted how long, but he did take his time, reckon it would have been on the 30 seconds. No problems except that it's so rarely called play on and in the circumstances, an extra few might have been fair enough.

Hope our boys are switched on to this though, wouldn't surprise me that other umps back up that call by being tighter on the 30sec this weekend than they have been. Might be the 'rule of the week' type thing.

Hope our boys are switched on to this though, wouldn't surprise me that other umps back up that call by being tighter on the 30sec this weekend than they have been. Might be the 'rule of the week' type thing.

Good call. No doubt the AFL will try to mitigate the damage from this by insisting every ump sticks to the 30 second rule to the letter of the law for the first time ever.

Umpiring was an absolute disgrace in that last term. Port were well and truly screwed. Dangerwood got looked after very nicely by the umps. Powell Pepper's last term, for all the raving, he just bombs the ball long and ignores the short options, didn't show composure and mostly turned it over. Just a kid so no biggie, but the media loves him.

Fascinating reading the comments here. I was listening in the car to ABC call with Whately and co who were barracking for Geelong and the only mention of free kicks was a few minutes where they talked about what a star Selwood is and how his incredible brilliance and skill causes players to infringe him all the time.

Was listening to sen in the car driving home from work. The geelong barracking huddo and mooney, almost caused me to drive off the road on purpose into a tree it was that bad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The countdown was on the screen in front of Dixon, all he had to do was start walking forward before that thirty seconds was up.

It wasn't straight in front of him. Off to the side a bit. He would have been focusing on the goals and going through his routine. Which he would have done hundreds of time and had no reason to think he was out of time, considering he had effectively only taken 20 seconds or so.

Geelong players were too close as well. If the umpire was in a pedantic mood, he should have called a 50m penalty before calling play on.

Geelong players were too close as well. If the umpire was in a pedantic mood, he should have called a 50m penalty before calling play on.

Unfortunately, as we see time and time again, umpire pedantry usually only applies to one of the teams playing at any given time.

Given some of the blatant frees against Gray that were ignored, there's no way the umpire in that 50 arc was umpiring both teams the same.

I mean this happened right in front of that same umpire. How on earth do you not pay this as a free in a marking contest?

373965_bcb61193766d4582cfa85405ac5215b3.jpg

I mean this happened right in front of that same umpire. How on earth do you not pay this as a free in a marking contest?

373965_bcb61193766d4582cfa85405ac5215b3.jpg
Port player should have dropped his knees more.

It's a ******* disgrace what Selwood gets away with. He should be banned for the amount of times he puts himself in dangerous situations. Ban him till he learns to take a tackle without dropping his head into the player's arms.

Fascinating reading the comments here. I was listening in the car to ABC call with Whately and co who were barracking for Geelong and the only mention of free kicks was a few minutes where they talked about what a star Selwood is and how his incredible brilliance and skill causes players to infringe him all the time.

It is because Whately is a Geelong supporter with a weird love for Selwood and Dangerfield bordering on obsession.

When is the count down meant to start?

I was under the impression it is when the mark or free kick is paid but the umpire can stop the countdown clock by calling time off while he sets the mark or the player is waiting for the ball to come to them. I may be wrong though.

The game is in shambles at the moment.

-Incorrect disposal/Throwing the ball
-BS High Tackles
-Deliberate out of bounds
-The garbage media storm over 'jumper' punching

Gil needs to go.

Umpiring was an absolute disgrace in that last term. Port were well and truly screwed. Dangerwood got looked after very nicely by the umps. Powell Pepper's last term, for all the raving, he just bombs the ball long and ignores the short options, didn't show composure and mostly turned it over. Just a kid so no biggie, but the media loves him.

Agree on both pretty much especially PP. He reminds me a bit of Rhys Palmer. Physically mature and ready to go season 1 and if you want a tough nut at the footy he is your man but decision making and disposal will see him overtaken by the other draftees in the next few years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back