Game Day Round 10, 2017: Swans vs. Hawks

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seriously, though, Clarkson has now hit rock bottom. He's begging his team to lift against us because of the rivalry in the media now. Structures aren't working...try emotions, I guess.

Pretty much says he's out of ideas.

I hope... :oops:

Dammit. Never comfortable playing these guys.

I am privileged to have been a spectator (mostly on the bowling green side of the Lake oval) to have seen indigenous players like Polly Farmer (Geelong), Barry Cable (North Melbourne), Syd Jackson (Carlton). Alas only a few games watching Adam Goodes and Michael O'Loughlin.

I wish Lance Franklin all the best for tonight's game. Shaun Edwards for the reserves tomorrow.
Proud that Rampe is wearing #50.

Respect!
#manGrook

What a great club we love and support.

I am privileged to have been a spectator (mostly on the bowling green side of the Lake oval) to have seen indigenous players like Polly Farmer (Geelong), Barry Cable (North Melbourne), Syd Jackson (Carlton). Alas only a few games watching Adam Goodes and Michael O'Loughlin.

I wish Lance Franklin all the best for tonight's game. Shaun Edwards for the reserves tomorrow.
Proud that Rampe is wearing #50.

Respect!
#manGrook

What a great club we love and support.
I also remember Elkin Reilly playing for us and Bertie Johnston for North at the Lake Oval. And the abuse they copped. Never forget.

I also remember Elkin Reilly playing for us and Bertie Johnston for North at the Lake Oval. And the abuse they copped. Never forget.
:(

Interesting view from an after the fact statistician, even though some of us that have observed things & watch different games of footy live, have had this view for a long time now about this fellow, when discussing what his actual value is in salary cap terms.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2017/05/25/tom-mitchell-will-never-be-more-than-a-ball-winner-luff/

Let's see if he can be the difference tonight, that his new salary suggests he should be.
I gotta say I don't see Mitchell but improving on that. Every aspect of his game which received criticism he improved upon. I strongly believe in 2 years time Mitchell will be extremely damaging with his disposals

I gotta say I don't see Mitchell but improving on that. Every aspect of his game which received criticism he improved upon. I strongly believe in 2 years time Mitchell will be extremely damaging with his disposals
His the is the master of the junk ball. Hospital hand passes, helicopter punts and hot potato give a ways. Always was and always will be.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I should follow that up by saying that Tommy is perhaps the best ball winner in the competition so I'm just backing up perhaps why we weren't prepared to take our offer to an extreme level in our particular situation. Perhaps worth every cent the Hawks are paying him though & once they establish how to utilise his insane ability to win the ball, then their money becomes well spent.

We've done nothing wrong in passing on his requested salary.

I was on the other side of the ground mate in the outer. Maybe it was more polite on the bowling green side. So you heard no racist abuse?
I had to look up Bertie Johnston to see when he played - 1965-1968 - we didn't go to matches in 1968 but as a young teenager in the mid 60's maybe I was just too naive and stupid to see it as racist rather than just booing the opposition :(

I should follow that up by saying that Tommy is perhaps the best ball winner in the competition so I'm just backing up perhaps why we weren't prepared to take our offer to an extreme level in our particular situation. Perhaps worth every cent the Hawks are paying him though & once they establish how to utilise his insane ability to win the ball, then their money becomes well spent.

We've done nothing wrong in passing on his requested salary.

Well this is always the problem with midfielders. The headline is wrong but the article is right.

With the right players around him, Mitchell would be the most devastating midfielder in the competition. But if you haven't got enough of the right players moving to the right spots, then his contested possession is wasted. He's not Kennedy, he can't break tackles. But he can win the ball better than anyone.

But here's the problem. If you allocate to much of the salary cap to just him and another (albeit always injured) midfielder, you can't get the sherr numbers necessary in the midfield to compete. You need to bat about 8 deep. And even then, as we say in Rounds 1-6, if enough of them are injured, you're still in strife.

So the issue isn't Mitchell, it's the quality around him. Which comes back to Mitchell demanding, and being given, too high a pay packet.

I wonder whether the Swans, by not matching the Mitchell contract and by bidding up the O'Meara deal, deliberately played Hawthorn into this situation. It's been done before.

His the is the master of the junk ball. Hospital hand passes, helicopter punts and hot potato give a ways. Always was and always will be.

handball is one of his strengths. i think he's just about the best handball in the comp. his kicking has improved marginally but winning the ball in tight and hand balling it out is what he is good at.

Were you at Arden St when the Krakours played their 2nd or 3rd game? My first memories of aboriginal footballers, id never seen anything like it. Drew Morphett had them on the winners re booted last year so got to see it on tv for first time.

Clarko will have them fired up but there's no excuses not to account for the Hawks quite easily tonight. Expecting an 8 goal win.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back