Definitive albums

Remove this Banner Ad

It's true that musicians generally only have a peak period that encompasses two or three albums (Pearl Jam: Vs/Ten/Vitalogy, Smashing Pumpkins: Gish/Siamese Dreams/Mellon Collie, Oasis: Definitely Maybe/What's the Story, Muse: Origin of Symmetry/Absolution/Black Holes and Revelations). I'm trying to think of any musicians that had more than one peak. Green Day comes to mind, with Dookie being a smash hit, interest waning, then American Idiot taking them back to the top. Can't think of any others right now.
10 years apart in the case of Green Day....

Great album, still prefer Meaning of I to it tho.

Meaning of I is great and probably their heaviest release, Seize The Day is my all time favourite Voyager song. It's good songs are super strong but there are a couple tracks I'd rather skip, it just lacks the cohesiveness of V for mine.

I've definitely listened to V more than any other album period over the past 3 years

Last edited:
Boards of Canada - Geogaddi
Porcupine Tree - In Absentia
King Crimson A - In the Court
King Crimson B - Red
Massive Attack - Mezzanine
Hawkwind- Warrior on the Edge
Pink Floyd - Meddle
Radiohead - OK Computer (of course)
Primal Scream - Screamadelica
Blut Aus Nord - 777Cosmosophy

Four Tops - Second Album
Cream - Disraeli Gearz
America - America
Parliament - Mothership Connection
KC and the Sunshine Band (self titled)
Bootsy's Rubber Band - Stretchin' Out in Bootsy's Rubber Band
Bee Gees - Saturday Night Fever
The Isley Brothers - Go for Your Gunz
Sex Pistols - Never Mind Your Bollocks
Tubeway Army - Replicas
Throbbing Gristle - 20 Jazz Funk Greats
Skrewdriver - Hail the New Dawn
ZZ Top - Eliminator
The System - X-Periment
Morris Day & The Time - Ice Cream Castles
Simple Mindz - Once Upon a Time
Sisters of Mercy - Floodland
Sonic Youf - Daydream Nation
Nirvana - Nevermind the Bollocks
PM Dawn - The Bliss Album...? (Vibrations of Love and Anger and the Ponderance of Life and Existence)
Nine Inch Nails - Ze Downward Spiral
Sister Machine Gun - Burn
Smashing Pumpkinz - Mellon Collie and the Infinite Baldness
The Corrs - Forgiven, Not Forgotten
Buena Vista Social Club

Last edited:
Meaning of I is great and probably their heaviest release, Seize The Day is my all time favourite Voyager song. It's good songs are super strong but there are a couple tracks I'd rather skip, it just lacks the cohesiveness of V for mine.

I've definitely listened to V more than any other album period over the past 3 years
OK sounds likewIse better give V a few more spins as I've been the same with MoI since seeing them open for Nightwish a couple of years ago.

With TISM I think the answer will vary between the older fans who would say Great Trucking Songs Of The Renaissance while the next group of fans might say Machiavelli And The Four Seasons.

Cyndi Lauper - She's So Unusual

Her best album. One of the best albums of the 80's. One of the greatest pop albums of all time.

An band that's rarely mentioned came out with an album that doesn't get the recognition it deserved, in fact I'm staggered it hasnt been mentioned.
R-673094-1146131414.jpeg.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was trying to think of one for ELO, but I think I'll have to admit they don't have one that encapsulates them perfectly.

They had a run of 3 albums where they started to shift their style and for me are their 3 best albums.

A New World Record - still has strong orchestral elements
Out of the Blue - starting to shift to a more pop/disco vibe
Discovery - significantly less orchestral elements on most tracks

All are still rampant with over producing (classic Jeff Lynne). If I had to choose one, I would go with A New World Record, though I personally prefer Discovery.

Cyndi Lauper - She's So Unusual

Her best album. One of the best albums of the 80's. One of the greatest pop albums of all time.

Yeah, wasn't bad....Circa 1983/1984 I believe....Kooky chick but, even back then.

Was more into Paul Young & his excellent 'No Parlez' album around that same time.....His absolutely definitive album.

upload_2017-5-26_19-2-19.jpeg His rendition of 'Wherever I Lay My Hat' still remains unmatched.....A phenomenal song.

So Fresh - Hits of Spring 2002

With tunes like Nelly's "Hot in Herre", DJ Otzi's "Hey Baby" and Selwyn's "Rich Girl" (Rudy Mix), this one is definitely the stand out of the So Fresh oeuvre.
Don't forget Tribute tucked in at the end

I was trying to think of one for ELO, but I think I'll have to admit they don't have one that encapsulates them perfectly.

They had a run of 3 albums where they started to shift their style and for me are their 3 best albums.

A New World Record - still has strong orchestral elements
Out of the Blue - starting to shift to a more pop/disco vibe
Discovery - significantly less orchestral elements on most tracks

All are still rampant with over producing (classic Jeff Lynne). If I had to choose one, I would go with A New World Record, though I personally prefer Discovery.

ELO and The Prodigy released great albums in the 90s Rave/DJ/Electronic genre, definitive records...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back