NFL 2017 NFL Pre-Season Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

The NFL has relaxed its celebration rules, permitting group celebrations, the use of the ball as a prop and celebrations on the ground.

Personal fouls for having fun are going the way of the dinosaur. The change is long overdue. Even baseball, the vanguard of tradition and unwritten rules, has never restricted celebrations. The NFL was positively 19th century in what it allowed after dramatic touchdowns and game-changing plays. Expect 2017 to be the year of the celebration GIF.

Source: Field Yates on Twitter
May 23 - 1:09 PM

NFL owners passed a resolution which will allow two players to return from injured reserve each season.

Only one player had been allowed to return in the past. The owners also voted to shorten overtime from 15 minutes to 10 and eliminate the 75-man cutdown day which previously occurred after the third preseason game. Teams will now cut directly from their 90-man roster to their 53-man, "final" roster after the fourth preseason game, giving coaches more players to pull from in the meaningless preseason finale.

Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter
May 23 - 12:11 PM

Just on the the overtime change from 15 to 10 mins, some article I read said we could be more likely to have a team run a long drive for a FG, possibly whole 10 mins. Article didn't explain though...is that possible, that a team may not get a chance to take a possession in OT?

I really don't see how 5 mins is going to reduce injuries by that much.

Just on the the overtime change from 15 to 10 mins, some article I read said we could be more likely to have a team run a long drive for a FG, possibly whole 10 mins. Article didn't explain though...is that possible, that a team may not get a chance to take a possession in OT?

Probably be more injuries during celebrations

It makes no sense to me

Maybe we should have a Dancing with the Stars fantasy league....

-----------

Free agent RB Rashad Jennings won the 24th season of ABC's Dancing with the Stars.

Released by the Giants in February, Jennings has been focused on the dancing show. He and his professional dancing partner, Emma Slater, are the fourth duo featuring an NFL player to win the show, joining Emmitt Smith, Hines Ward, and Donald Driver. Jennings turned 32 earlier this spring and hasn't been linked to a single NFL team. Maybe that will change now that he has time.

Probably should be in the 49ers thread but anyone who keeps tabs on the Brasher Jersey Curse needs to be aware of this (especially the FF fans amongst us):

Thomas to wear No 94 You should know this because I have zeroed in on Thomas as my new team crush. However, you should be all aware of my previous team crush/jersey purchases:

Joe Montana....released goes to KC
Ronnie Lott....released goes to Raiders
Rickly Watters....not re-signed go Eagles
Patrick Willis....retires unexpectedly
Frank Gore....released still performing in league
Navarro Bowman....torn ACL and then AC
Colin Kaepernick....not re-signed currently unemployed (disclaimer, needed to update jersey collection and his number was best of a poor bunch)
Solomon Thomas....????

All of the above 49er actions came within two seasons of me purchasing their jersey. Beware....maybe I should buy a Russell Wilson jersey?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He probably means the film of the other Browns QBs in the last 2 years.

Yeah he can kind of get away with it given he will likely start by default.

Probably should be in the 49ers thread but anyone who keeps tabs on the Brasher Jersey Curse needs to be aware of this (especially the FF fans amongst us):

Thomas to wear No 94 You should know this because I have zeroed in on Thomas as my new team crush. However, you should be all aware of my previous team crush/jersey purchases:

Joe Montana....released goes to KC
Ronnie Lott....released goes to Raiders
Rickly Watters....not re-signed go Eagles
Patrick Willis....retires unexpectedly
Frank Gore....released still performing in league
Navarro Bowman....torn ACL and then AC
Colin Kaepernick....not re-signed currently unemployed (disclaimer, needed to update jersey collection and his number was best of a poor bunch)
Solomon Thomas....????

All of the above 49er actions came within two seasons of me purchasing their jersey. Beware....maybe I should buy a Russell Wilson jersey?
I suggest Brian Hoyer

also, the owners voted to get rid of the first roster cut date and therefore the roster goes from 90 to 53 all at once from now on.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...-owners-eliminate-first-roster-cutdown-period

The change should make for some pretty intense roster moves after the cuts are made. The scouting departments will be extremely busy pouring over tape of the 1100+ players cut on the date.

I'm not sure if teams will cut veterans earlier to give them a head start over the rest, but I could see a scenario where that occurs.

The NFL is giving all four NFC South teams an extra practice squad spot in 2017 reserved for an international player.

The catch is the player has been picked for them as part of the NFL’s international player pathway program, with the Falcons landing former English rugby player TE Alex Gray, the Panthers getting DE Efe Obada, the Saints drawing DE Alex Jenkins, and the Bucs landing LB Eric Nzeocha. The players are not allowed to be activated this season, but it is a great opportunity for them to improve while working with an NFL squad.

Source: ESPN
May 25 - 9:53 AM

The NFL is giving all four NFC South teams an extra practice squad spot in 2017 reserved for an international player.

The catch is the player has been picked for them as part of the NFL’s international player pathway program, with the Falcons landing former English rugby player TE Alex Gray, the Panthers getting DE Efe Obada, the Saints drawing DE Alex Jenkins, and the Bucs landing LB Eric Nzeocha. The players are not allowed to be activated this season, but it is a great opportunity for them to improve while working with an NFL squad.

Source: ESPN
May 25 - 9:53 AM
Good to see the NFC Europe Division get this allowance

I don't mind it. Not as if a Jarryd Hayne is going to try out anytime :lightbulb::football:

Hayne would of prevented the Falcons from blowing a 25 point lead in the Superbowl.
He would of been busy doing his trademark fumbles and Pats would of already had a 25 point lead at the half

Love how the Sydney refer to Hayne as "former NFL star".

Because NSW and QLD newspapers just want to have rugby as something relevant. and NFL is a buzz word, try and get some more dumb people watching their game. since they get like 20 people showing up to watch it live.

Everyone would rather be called a failed NFL player than a NRL player.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back