Midnight Oil - 50 to 1

Remove this Banner Ad

On Facebook I recall there were people not happy with these vinyls compared to the original LPs? Order of songs and sides and sound quality ?
Place without a postcard track order was different...the last song on side a on the original is now song 1 on side b. This doesn't bother me at all. The huge * up was having Stars of Warburton twice on Blue Sky Mining and not having Mountains of Burma at all. Everything else is fine and the sound quality is amazing.

Edit - just received an email from Sony who are doing a correct pressing of BSM and will send a new album out asap. Nice.

Last edited:
You lucky bastard. I watched a video of Cold Cold Change a punter uploaded to Facebook from Selinas. Incredible. Then found out they played most of Head Injuries. I'm still upset I didn't score tickets in the ballot.

I missed the ballot but begged Chris Cheung who owns the pub for tickets and he came through.

I made what I think was a mistake by thinking that there would be GA standing tickets for the Perth show even though I got through at 9.02am the allocation was exhausted so i purchased a premium reserved seat better than missing out all together. Probably the first show ever where I will be seated and it is the Oils :O

33 - Hercules - Species Deceases EP

This song is supercharged and anthemic and love the vocal melody and how Pete sings this mighty tune, especially in a live setting, I can only hope to experience this one live. I enjoy it over the also great Progress from the same EP.

32 - Mosquito March - Capricornia

This was a frenetic tune that stuck out for that reason on an album I have a lot of time for, the nicely crafted Capricornia. Love the way this song goes from fast clean and rhythmic to heavy and sinister then back again The lead guitar riff buzzes around like a mozzie then Rob bashes the skins towards a powerhouse final sprint to the finishing line.

31 - Sleep - Red Sails in the ******* Sunset

Love this songs different and interesting sounds - notably Giffo's Chapman Stick and singing, also the prominent strumming of the acoustic guitar and that grooving rhythm on the verses. spray can information, cover the lonely station, checkpoint for the state of the nation. Probably enjoy the Oils on the Water live version more than the studio recording here.

30 - Tin Legs and Tin Mines - 10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1

What a beautiful intro this song has. Jim on the piano, Martin the guitar. Who's running the world today? Some great lines in this song Boxed in like candles, polar bear pride,Turning to terror as the script is read out, Unwilling actors accomplished protractors will shout

34 - Is It Now? - Head Injuries

The closing song on the mighty Head Injuries album which I feel is a little underrated. The charismatic vocal and music creates a great sense of urgency, drama and action. You better look out, watch out BEWARE!!!

Thirty-four? Wow. For mine Head Injuries is one of the greatest albums of all time and Is it Now? is it's crowning glory. My Oils top fifty would have Is It Now? clearly number one. It may not be the most experimental or intricate track in their catalogue but damn if it doesn't fit together flawlessly. Every note from every instrument complementing the others perfectly. Add in Garrett's phenomenal speaking to Primal scream vocal and what you have is a masterpiece.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

27 - Golden Age - Capricornia

This song had me from the first moment shimmering with its iconic Byrdsy jangle adding to a wave of nostalgia and feel good vibes of summer days in Australia gone by. Everybody's talking about the Golden Age.

I can see a purple patch of jacaranda
framed in eucalypt from this wooden floored verandah
heading past the watermark
heading for the hills
heading for the edge of time
heading for the thrills of the golden aaaaaaaaaaaaaggggeeeee

Last edited:
26 - Cold Cold Change - Head Injuries

Epic opener from Head Injuries, many stood up and started taking notice as the Oils were entering their prime.

Cold cold change, we were so excited
But you came and went so soon
Cold cold change, we were not invited
We smiled all the while we were taken in

Cold cold change, bringing in the winter
Freezing up the water, closing up the mind
One more danger, gonna have to deal with
One last moment fading all the time

But no lasting change, well we were turned around
We jumped in the air to see over the wall
No master plan, it's a bad design
Significant time in spite of us all

Waiting on the outside, waiting to begin
Left us all angry and bewildered
Laughing at the way we were taken in

You better lock the door, turn it off (the light)
We'll leave the nights alone, better keep me hoping
That the change is over, the ice is gone
And when the weather's warmer you can hear me shouting yeah

26 - Cold Cold Change - Head Injuries

Epic opener from Head Injuries, many stood up and started taking notice as the Oils were entering their prime.

But you came and went so soon
Cold cold change, we were not invited
We smiled all the while we were taken in

Cold cold change, bringing in the winter
Freezing up the water, closing up the mind
One more danger, gonna have to deal with
One last moment fading all the time

But no lasting change, well we were turned around
We jumped in the air to see over the wall
No master plan, it's a bad design
Significant time in spite of us all

Waiting on the outside, waiting to begin
Left us all angry and bewildered
Laughing at the way we were taken in

You better lock the door, turn it off (the light)
We'll leave the nights alone, better keep me hoping
That the change is over, the ice is gone
And when the weather's warmer you can hear me shouting yeah

Man I love that song.

27 - Golden Age - Capricornia

This song had me from the first moment shimmering with its iconic Byrdsy jangle adding to a wave of nostalgia and feel good vibes of summer days in Australia gone by. Everybody's talking about the Golden Age.

I can see a purple patch of jacaranda
framed in eucalypt from this wooden floored verandah
heading past the watermark
heading for the hills
heading for the edge of time
heading for the thrills of the golden aaaaaaaaaaaaaggggeeeee

Great track from an awesome album often overlooked by the 'old school' Oils fans. When the Oils went out, they went out in style. Mosquito March is the stand out track IMO but Golden Age and a couple of others aren't far behind.

Great track from an awesome album often overlooked by the 'old school' Oils fans. When the Oils went out, they went out in style. Mosquito March is the stand out track IMO but Golden Age and a couple of others aren't far behind.

MM rips
I love that album and play it regularly well crafted with awesome melodies. Also love the tracks Capricornia, Too Much Sunshine and Tone Poem.

How good is it when the 2 guitars start playing?

The only thing better than two guitars is three guitars.

Canadian punk band "****ed Up" are my go to guitar band at the moment.

My wife works with Martin Rotseys sister. I told her I love him. She didn't seem to react as positively as I would have liked.

MM rips
I love that album and play it regularly well crafted with awesome melodies. Also love the tracks Capricornia, Too Much Sunshine and Tone Poem.

Under the Overpass is another beauty, it really is a consistently great album, not much filler.

The only thing better than two guitars is three guitars.

Canadian punk band "****ed Up" are my go to guitar band at the moment.

My wife works with Martin Rotseys sister. I told her I love him. She didn't seem to react as positively as I would have liked.

I think I've seen ****ed up .
Opened for the foos in 2011/12? Fat dude runs from the stage into the audience for beers haha

I think I've seen ****** up .
Opened for the foos in 2011/12? Fat dude runs from the stage into the audience for beers haha

That's our mate Pink Eyes.

His voice turns some people off but musically and lyrically (for the most part) they are geniuses.

Hey, back to the Oils you lot.

25 - Brave Faces - Place Without A Postcard

Awesome rocker. Could listen to that intro riff all day.

I've known many restless summers
The sand dunes I imagine
A place without a postcard
Flower people were so beautiful
But straight and loud's the way
Good luck the beatnik spirit
The talk of politicians
The sentences of cynics
Are the sentences of childhood
They're all talking s**t to me

Remove this Banner Ad

Back