AFLW Trade period

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd like to see Lucas-Rodd return but I'm not too fussed about the rest (which could be ignorance regarding their ability I admit).

Would love to see us pull 4 quick midfielders with the remaining spots from the draft if they exist though. I reckon we are set for talls.
I'd add Brazzale to that too. She could be strong and quick when the ball was there to be won.

And Bri, Darcy and Loz. They're handy. Please sign them up.

I love Exon and am sad to lose her but....

AFLW is a bit like junior football. If you have three or four absolutely stud players - and we have at least 4 now - you're putting yourself ahead of the game.

We've come out well ahead thus far. Just need some more midfield quality and we'll literally be unstoppable.

That's a pretty decent point. The gap between the girls who can really play and those who cannot is massive. Having 4 "gun" players will hold us in good stead in the long term when the talent pool thins with more teams but will also help us contend immediately.
Let's not underestimate the marketing aspect as well. A successful women's side with 4 or 5 star players could increase our club's female membership by 3-5 thousand over a couple of succesful campaigns.

Rating this trade depends on the view of Harris' ability and importance of her for team structure.

Has parallels with the Judd deal, and there are plenty who argue for and against that trade now.

Trading out two players to one club, and one to another in exchange for one big name makes it an almost exact replica of the Greg Williams trade.

We received Williams (Harris), in exchange for Simon Minton-Connell (Jackobsen) to Sydney and Ashley Matthews and Peter Sartori to Fitzroy (Exon and Ayre). There was also some picks involved.

Let's hope it works out the same way!

Rating this trade depends on the view of Harris' ability and importance of her for team structure.

Has parallels with the Judd deal, and there are plenty who argue for and against that trade now.

Does smack a bit of the Judd trade, with maybe a hint crazy Vossy's Fev trade which pushed out extra players.

However, Tayla is young, talented and marketable. Could be one of the faces of the club for a decade. It really is quite the coup.

One thing that makes me nervous is the one year contracts. You go to this effort to secure a player like Harris, and she could leave after a year. I think player welfare, club culture and admin are even more important than for the men's team (not that it's unimportant for the men).

Amazingly, with the strides the club has taken in the last couple of years, this reliance on club culture and personnel actually instills confidence. Any other time since Parkin, it would have filled me with dread.

I can't express how the way I feel about this club has changed in the last two years. Trigg/MLo/Bolts/SOS, take one ****ing big bow.

We're a destination club now guys! Get excited.

In terms of player for player changes from these trades its simply this:

IN: Stephens, Harris
OUT: Ayre, Jacobssen, Exon

Overall, that definitely makes us a better team.
Other teams didn't really improve their list...i'd go as far to say we are the only team that did.

Stephens & Jess Hosking will hopefully fill our midfield void, plus i don't know anything about our 2 rookies from other sports we just signed, but they might be midfielders too.

Hopefully the two(three) rookies won't get a game until later in the season, if they're playing it means somebody is out injured. But I'm sure they'll be fine and have good awareness coming from netball and basketball.
I'd add Brazzale to that too. She could be strong and quick when the ball was there to be won.

Lauren Brazzle is pretty quick, has great awareness and has gotted rid of the ball just as a tackle is laid on her and has a long kick which is accurate, get her on board for 2018.

Last day of trades and signings. We'll know the majority of our 2018 squad by this evening and then next week we might pick up someone as a free agent when we see who has been delisted from other Victorian clubs.

Then the draft in October.

Nothing. Club is quiet, AFL website is useless as usual. Everyone must have gone home given it is Friday evening.

This site has the most comprehensive list for the league but mentions that it is still waiting on Carlton info: http://[NB: girlsplayfooty domain h...ary-grades-and-re-signeddelisted-players.html

Plus a few more blanks to fill for other teams.

But given we traded away 3 players, we only need to delist 2 more to meet the minimum of 5 delistings. Still, even if everyone else from 2017 was re-signed we don't know those two players who got the boot.

And they're in! http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-05-26/aflw-all-the-clubs-full-lists-after-trade-period

Carlton
Lauren Arnell
Laura Attard
Shae Audley
Lauren Brazzale
Briana Davey
Alison Downie
Katherine Gillespie-Jones
Danielle Hardiman
Tayla Harris
Jess Hosking
Sarah Hosking
Madeline Keryk
Sarah Last
Katie Loynes
Tilly Lucas-Rodd
Breann Moody
Natalie Plane
Gabriella Pound
Kate Shierlaw
Nicola Stevens
Darcy Vescio

Rookies:
Maddison Gay (netball)
Kerryn Harrington (basketball)

Edit: That means...

De-listed:
Kate Darby
Rebecca Privitelli
Tahni Nestor
Jessica Kennedy
Alison Brown
Hayley Trevean

Traded:
Bianca Jakobsson (Dees)
Nat Exon (Lions)
Isabella Ayre (Lions)

Thanks for playing with Carlton in 2017 to those who have been de-listed, we may pick some of them back up in the draft in October.

Last edited:
I would have liked to have seen more of Trevean. The others didn't show an awful lot though. Maybe a glimpse here or there from Privitelli, especially in our last game. Very happy with all of the retentions.

I wonder if we can move Vescio into the midfield or rotate Stevens and Brazzale between HB and midfield.

I would have liked to have seen more of Trevean. The others didn't show an awful lot though. Maybe a glimpse here or there from Privitelli, especially in our last game. Very happy with all of the retentions.

I wonder if we can move Vescio into the midfield or rotate Stevens and Brazzale between HB and midfield.

I watched Darebin 3-4 times last year. In 3 of those games Vescio spent 1-2 quarters coming off a wing. She was dominant, got a lot of the ball and what really stood out was her pace. Having said that though in all of those games Darebin would've won by 100+ points and IIRC in the grand final against good opposition she played purely forward.

I'd still like to see us give her stints up the ground though. Vescio bursting down a wing to Harris? Yes please!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Going to need some more cameo performances from part time mid-fielders this season. Clever players like Darcy should be able to go through there a couple of times a quarter and create something special.

Surprised that we've let go of Privitelli and Brown but the rest are as I expected.

Interesting that we've seemingly contracted 21 players (+ 2 rookies), rather than the 22 we're allowed, meaning we'll have 6 picks in the draft unless they've missed someone.

Would like to see Davey go into the midfield next year.
Davey off half back was dominant though and critical to the victories we had.

Keeping Davey, Loynes and Arnell and adding Stevens and Harris does seem like good list management. Hope both Hosking girls can be injury free for next season. I watched almost every game in Season 1 and rather enjoyed it.

Interesting that we've seemingly contracted 21 players (+ 2 rookies), rather than the 22 we're allowed, meaning we'll have 6 picks in the draft unless they've missed someone.
It is a bit odd, we've delisted 6 when 2 would have made up the minimum of 5 delistings (+ 3 traded players)

I presume we have a target or two who have been dropped by other clubs and we'll pick them up as free agents or the club is happy with the look of the draft. We've still got one rookie slot to fill.

http://[NB: girlsplayfooty domain h...2017/05/tayla-harris-not-a-superstar-yet.html

It is frequently mentioned how good Harris’ pack marking is, and that cannot be doubted. She led the AFLW in contested marks with 2.1 per game.

For comparison, that figure would place her in the top 15 in contested marking in the men’s AFL this season, a competition that averages nearly 60 more marks and six more contested marks per game than the AFLW. That is beyond remarkable.

CARLTON'S 2018 AFLW LIST:

Lauren Arnell
Laura Attard
Shae Audley
Lauren Brazzale
Brianna Davey
Alison Downie
Kate Gillespie-Jones
Danielle Hardiman
Tayla Harris
Jess Hosking
Sarah Hosking
Madeline Keryk
Sarah Last
Katie Loynes
Tilly Lucas-Rodd
Breann Moody
Natalie Plane
Gabriella Pound
Kate Shierlaw
Nicola Stevens
Darcy Vescio

http://www.carltonfc.com.au/news/2017-06-01/aflw-trade-wrap

Carlton will head into this year’s draft with selections 12 (No.7 overall in Victoria), 28, 29, 37 and 41 to finalise a primary list of 27 players.

Having filled two of its three possible rookie positions, Carlton has a total of seven spots left for 2018 – six on its primary list.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back