Phantom Draft Bishop's 2017 Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Dustin Martin ran 14.1 beep at the national combine - Rayner ran 11.10 at TAC Cup testing 2017.
Gee, that's a terrible beep test. There would be players who are genetically predisposed to having a lower level of aerobic fitness. Rhys Matheison came to us with that being one of his weaknesses. He has been working feverishly in it, will be interesting to see if it has improved when he comes back into the firsts. Do you know what Rhys's beep test result was in his draft year?

Dustin Martin ran 14.1 beep at the national combine - Rayner ran 11.10 at TAC Cup testing 2017.

interesting.

just so we're comparing apples with apples. what was Dusty's TAC Cup beep testing results?

Gee, that's a terrible beep test. There would be players who are genetically predisposed to having a lower level of aerobic fitness. Rhys Matheison came to us with that being one of his weaknesses. He has been working feverishly in it, will be interesting to see if it has improved when he comes back into the firsts. Do you know what Rhys's beep test result was in his draft year?

Matho ran a 12.4 beep at the national combine.

interesting.

just so we're comparing apples with apples. what was Dusty's TAC Cup beep testing results?

TAC Cup testing data only begun to be recorded in 2010 - so the year after Dusty was drafted.

FWIW Rayner ran an 11.13 beep last year and has never been an endurance athlete.

Ethan Penrith Bish?

He's one of our academy I believe

Correct - part of your next generation academy. Don't mind him as a running defender/back pocket, has some tricks with his speed. Decision making needs work - but he's someone I think is worthy of a mid-late pick. He's someone I could see pushing himself up draft boards if he puts a consistent run of form together as he's definitely one that catches the eye.

Some notes from the weekend:

Will Sutherland the real deal - if he picks AFL he'll contend for the number one selection.

Cassidy Parish continues to be elite at the stoppages/clearances - but his kicking is what will let him down. Today he 'chipped' the ball 5 metres in the air and attempted to mark it like a rugby player near the try line.

James Bell and Zac Bailey were two standouts for the Allies today in what was ultimately a shocking day for football with a poor skill level - lead particularly by Metro who had their worst 22 playing arguably (bar a few)

Jack Petruccelle's kicking is what is keeping him from jumping into the top ten.

Connor Ballenden was poor for most of the game but improved in the last quarter.

Gryan Miers one of Vic Country's best, works had as a small in at the centre bounces.

Just a thought on Petruccelle - can you see a Dangerfield comparison with that ability to go forward, absolute top end speed, contested ball winning, great overhead marking but poor kicking, like I can?

Just a thought on Petruccelle - can you see a Dangerfield comparison with that ability to go forward, absolute top end speed, contested ball winning, great overhead marking but poor kicking, like I can?

Am I right in saying the kid has played like 12 games of footy ever. Not the ultimate professional off the field. But by golly if he realises what it takes to be an elite athlete then he has all the natural ability in the world.

Am I right in saying the kid has played like 12 games of footy ever. Not the ultimate professional off the field. But by golly if he realises what it takes to be an elite athlete then he has all the natural ability in the world.

Bit different, I didn't see Dangerfield as a junior coming through. But Petruccelle's leap is far better than Dangerfield's - Danger is still a better kick than Petruccelle for me though. Danger was drafted at 10 - Petruccelle around the 15-20 mark at the moment, so you never know...

Think he played a fair bit as a junior (but need to confirm that) - but nothing really serious until last season as he was juggling state bball commitments with footy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some notes from the weekend:

Will Sutherland the real deal - if he picks AFL he'll contend for the number one selection.

Cassidy Parish continues to be elite at the stoppages/clearances - but his kicking is what will let him down. Today he 'chipped' the ball 5 metres in the air and attempted to mark it like a rugby player near the try line.

James Bell and Zac Bailey were two standouts for the Allies today in what was ultimately a shocking day for football with a poor skill level - lead particularly by Metro who had their worst 22 playing arguably (bar a few)

Jack Petruccelle's kicking is what is keeping him from jumping into the top ten.

Connor Ballenden was poor for most of the game but improved in the last quarter.

Gryan Miers one of Vic Country's best, works had as a small in at the centre bounces.
About Sutherland, is it known when he is likely to make a decision?

Why do believe he'll pick football over cricket?

Going off what I'm told by some of his closest mates - He's genuinely 50/50 at the moment with what he picks. Always a hard one when you get offered a Cricket contract, but at the same time has the potential to be the number one selection.

In saying that - from what I'm told (& I haven't spoken to Will) I expect him to pick footy.

The contract CV have offered is pretty much the same $$ as what Sutherland would get as a top five draftee.

Exactly, "serious coin" is dog s**t for state league players.

Chad Sayers, a top 20 player in the country is on less than a 3rd year AFL player.

The absolute elite get paid well, sure, the rest are on peanuts.

If he is 50:50 he will choose afl. The lifestyle is far greater to stay at home with family friends get paid well and get to play footy infront of your friends, no brainer to me

Hi Bishop
Are there any first round prospects that have been impacted by possible season ending injuries that could see them slip down the rankings such as happened with Ryan Burton .

Cheers

If he is 50:50 he will choose afl. The lifestyle is far greater to stay at home with family friends get paid well and get to play footy infront of your friends, no brainer to me

There's no guarantee he stays in Melbourne - interstate clubs have seen him play at school footy. Brisbane have an early pick, Gold Coast and Sydney too. From what I hear - Sutherland would be happy to go anywhere.

Hi Bishop
Are there any first round prospects that have been impacted by possible season ending injuries that could see them slip down the rankings such as happened with Ryan Burton .

Cheers

No there isn't at this stage. Aaron Darling from Dandenong Stingrays suffered an ACL early in the season - but he would be more of a mid draftee than a 1st rounder.

Exactly, "serious coin" is dog s**t for state league players.

Chad Sayers, a top 20 player in the country is on less than a 3rd year AFL player.

The absolute elite get paid well, sure, the rest are on peanuts.

That's mainly because Sayers is no good as a limited overs player, hence doesn't get a Big Bash contract nor match fees for the OD series. Also no option for him to supplement that with domestic T20 money in the off-seasons either.

I haven't seen a hell of a lot of Sutherland, but from what I have (U19 Internationals) I don't think he'll have the same limitations. Will be very interesting to see which way he goes though as (again from my limited sample size of viewing) he certainly has what it takes to forge out a domestic career. How confident he is in making that grade above will be a big factor in his decision you would think. Or he could employ the logic shown by Alex Keath and Alex Carey in that they'd give footy the first crack and if it didn't wrk out, would fall back on their cricketing talents in later years. Didn't quite work out for Keath, but Carey is looking as though he could be a candidate for higher honours one day.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back