Opinion Round 11 Changes vs. Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
That should be considered yes. But if we were dropping a tall it wouldn't be Taberner in my opinion.

Agree with this. The last two weeks have had circumstances that shouldn't allow Tabs to become the whipping boy - however he does need to improve when the going gets tough. He needs an opportunity this week.

Why if the weather is fine that makes no sense.

Scham just really hates Tabs and it's only taken 2 games played in horrible conditions for him to start bagging him again after he was pretty much the best ruck/forward in the comp in the first 2 games he played this year.

I just want the team to play like they give a s**t for 4 quarters. I don't care by how much we win by.

Collingwood are trash though. I watched their game against Brisbane and they weren't that good. Brisbane gave up early in the last and Collingwood ran away with it.

Collingwood are trash though. I watched their game against Brisbane and they weren't that good. Brisbane gave up early in the last and Collingwood ran away with it.
Just watching FoxSports Boomer Harvey picked Freo to be the team to fall out of the 8 which is fair enough, but then picked Collingwood as the team to replace us :drunk:

Treloar is one of the most overrated players in the competition with Dangerfield. You look at the wraps he gets compared to Pendlebury, who is one of the most underrated in the game. Pendlebury can hit targets, but doesn't get as many disposals.. Treloar is a below average kick at AFL level and still gets wraps on him like Dangerfield. These day's its all about the number of possies and the metres gained, rather than actual impact on a game.

Treloar went alright on the weekend

Attachments

• IMG_8674.PNG
    IMG_8674.PNG
    63 KB · Views: 10
I like everyone else want to not only see a change to the line up but only bring in players that understand and know how to play footy .
The coaches need to emphasize to the players that team work means
1. Shepherd for your mate when he has the ball .
2. After you hand pass to a team mate continue running and be ready to shepherd or receive a hand pass .
3. When the ball is coming high into the backline only 1 man fly's ,everyone else sets up for the crumbs forward , sides and back ,ready to run , block and spread or tackle the opposition forward .
4. When the midfield win a clearance forwards must lead into space and draw defenders away from the goals .Those forwards that are not in the contest must be prepared to either get to the contest and take up position ready for the inevitable dropped mark ,spoil by a defender or be ready to receive a handpass . They should also emphasise that not everyone has to go in and get the ball . Someone has to be on the outside ready to receive the ball or tackle ,chase an opponent who has got the ball .
5. Please when the ball is kicked to the top of the goal square in our forward line only 2 forwards fly . One for the mark and the other to prevent the second defender from destroying the marking forward . EVERYONE else STAY DOWN and be ready for what ever occurs .
Of the players that should be dropped Griffin and Ibbo would be on top of the list followed by D.Pearce .
Of the young guys seriously pushing for selection Cox and Ryan should be on top of the list but Darcy needs to build more . Josh Deluca IMHO even with the limited game time is ready to go.

A change I wouldn't mind seeing is Ibbo for Cox. Seems the most like for like in that position.
Cox isn't quite ready imo but I actually think he is the most likely to become our future CHB of all our KPDs. Another ex-basketballer and reads the play extremely well and has the athletic attributes to play on and lockdown tall forwards. I know a few have suggested trading him out but that would be dumb as I think his ceiling is very high as an intercepting KPD. He isn't the guy you want doing kick-ins but I could see he and Luke Ryan becoming a great intercepting - rebounding partnership for our back line. Ryan simply has to come in this week and I could see Cox being considered after a couple more games at Peel.

I like everyone else want to not only see a change to the line up but only bring in players that understand and know how to play footy .
The coaches need to emphasize to the players that team work means
1. Shepherd for your mate when he has the ball .
2. After you hand pass to a team mate continue running and be ready to shepherd or receive a hand pass .
3. When the ball is coming high into the backline only 1 man fly's ,everyone else sets up for the crumbs forward , sides and back ,ready to run , block and spread or tackle the opposition forward .
4. When the midfield win a clearance forwards must lead into space and draw defenders away from the goals .Those forwards that are not in the contest must be prepared to either get to the contest and take up position ready for the inevitable dropped mark ,spoil by a defender or be ready to receive a handpass . They should also emphasise that not everyone has to go in and get the ball . Someone has to be on the outside ready to receive the ball or tackle ,chase an opponent who has got the ball .
5. Please when the ball is kicked to the top of the goal square in our forward line only 2 forwards fly . One for the mark and the other to prevent the second defender from destroying the marking forward . EVERYONE else STAY DOWN and be ready for what ever occurs .
Of the players that should be dropped Griffin and Ibbo would be on top of the list followed by D.Pearce .
Of the young guys seriously pushing for selection Cox and Ryan should be on top of the list but Darcy needs to build more . Josh Deluca IMHO even with the limited game time is ready to go.

Coulda what do you think of Nyhuis?

Just watching FoxSports Boomer Harvey picked Freo to be the team to fall out of the 8 which is fair enough, but then picked Collingwood as the team to replace us :drunk:
Lol he's a flog isn't he. Still haven't gotten over Crowley being fined for pinching with 0 evidence and about 4 of Boomers ex teammates on the panel that adjudicated it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Coulda what do you think of Nyhuis?

He is still building his match fitness at Peel . He didn't have a full preseason and is just coming back after injury , with that is mind he is improving with each outing and should be ready if required in 3 to 4 weeks . He is extremely strong and during the Peel GF was a lock down HBF . Very hard at the contest and makes good decisions with the ball in hand . NT boy with cool head in the heat of battle . He is quite skillful on both sides .Instant Spurr replacement if and when required .

I think we should definitely look at getting a few games each into Deluca and Nyhuis this year. We can upgrade both with Pearce and Apeness having LTIs in addition to Clarke.

Tabs did a shitload more than McCarthy.
I was waiting for someone to say this. People happy to bash Tabs, but tell me, what has McCarthy done in the past two weeks? Past two weeks, with ease Tabs>McCarthy. No forward stood a chance against Adelaide, but against Carlton, McCarthy was nowhere to be seen, whilst Tabs was creating a contest which helped set up goals.

Cox isn't quite ready imo but I actually think he is the most likely to become our future CHB of all our KPDs. Another ex-basketballer and reads the play extremely well and has the athletic attributes to play on and lockdown tall forwards. I know a few have suggested trading him out but that would be dumb as I think his ceiling is very high as an intercepting KPD. He isn't the guy you want doing kick-ins but I could see he and Luke Ryan becoming a great intercepting - rebounding partnership for our back line. Ryan simply has to come in this week and I could see Cox being considered after a couple more games at Peel.
that may be me suggesting a possible trade. BUT I am suggesting as part of a deal for McGovern. I like Cox and happy for him to stay.

I was waiting for someone to say this. People happy to bash Tabs, but tell me, what has McCarthy done in the past two weeks? Past two weeks, with ease Tabs>McCarthy. No forward stood a chance against Adelaide, but against Carlton, McCarthy was nowhere to be seen, whilst Tabs was creating a contest which helped set up goals.
I don't think our forward line know how to play at the moment. Work in Progress.

The three tallish forwards are a week by week proposition depending on the opposition and the conditions.

If its dry, I'd play all three (Taberner, Kersten and McCarthy) this week against Collingwood.

Collingwood currently play a small forward line with Darcy Moore being the only one with size, so we might not have to bring in another key back to give Johnson the spare role when he's not rucking. Someone who can cover smalls like Logue may be a better option than Cox or Collins. Depends on the number of changes we're going to make to the defence. First choice option as an in for me would be Ryan.

Taberner's ruck competitiveness has been inadequate in the last two games when its been

a) wet - so it negates any marking option he provides around the ground and
b) because the opposition have played two reasonable sized ruck combos Kruezer/Casboult and Jacobs/Jenkins.

Against Carlton we were saved because the cavalry was always just over the hill ready to save the day (i.e. Sandilands). The ruck combo was just one of a number of issues we had against Adelaide where the team balance was wrong.

Collingwood will probably used Grundy/Moore as their rucks, but I still prefer Johnson as main relief in the ruck because he's a better reader of the play and gets into good positions to receive and opens up attacking play with his disposal.

Last edited:
The three tallish forwards are a week by week proposition depending on the opposition and the conditions.

If its dry, I'd play all three (Taberner, Kersten and McCarthy) this week against Collingwood.

Collingwood currently play a small forward line with Darcy Moore being the only one with size, so we might not have to bring in another key back to give Johnson the spare role when he's not rucking. Someone who can cover smalls like Logue may be a better option than Cox or Collins. Depends on the number of changes we're going to make to the defence. First choice option as an in for me would be Ryan.

Taberner's ruck competitiveness has been inadequate in the last two games when its been

a) wet - so it negates any marking option he provides around the ground and
b) because the opposition have played two reasonable sized ruck combos Kruezer/Casboult and Jacobs/Jenkins.

Against Carlton we were saved because the cavalry was always just over the hill ready to save the day (i.e. Sandilands). The ruck combo was just one of a number of issues we had against Adelaide where the team balance was wrong.

Collingwood will probably used Grundy/Moore as their rucks, but I still prefer Johnson as main relief in the ruck because he's a better reader of the play and gets into good positions to receive and opens up attacking play with his disposal.
Sorry but playing Johnson as the second ruck makes zero sense when you're in the rebuild. Also, Tabs has done literally nothing wrong since he came back into the team.

Sorry but playing Johnson as the second ruck makes zero sense when you're in the rebuild. Also, Tabs has done literally nothing wrong since he came back into the team.

Neither does playing Sandilands for that matter.

Tabs rucked ok against Richmond when they didn't have a 2nd ruck, but I think he's been exposed the last couple of weeks, and I'm giving him an out because of the wet weather. I would still pick McCarthy and Kersten ahead of him.

Harsh, but a negative that I still see in his game at both WAFL and AFL level is that he is perhaps slower in the brain than Ibbo currently is. Ibbo at least gives the impression that after indecision he will eventually figure out the right option - its just that by the time he's computed it all its a tad too late - but with Tabs there are times where it seems like nothing even enters his head.

Neither does playing Sandilands for that matter.

Tabs rucked ok against Richmond when they didn't have a 2nd ruck, but I think he's been exposed the last couple of weeks, and I'm giving him an out because of the wet weather. I would still pick McCarthy and Kersten ahead of him.

Harsh, but a negative that I still see in his game at both WAFL and AFL level is that he is perhaps slower in the brain than Ibbo currently is. Ibbo at least gives the impression that after indecision he will eventually figure out the right option - its just that by the time he's computed it all its a tad too late - but with Tabs there are times where it seems like nothing even enters his head.
Hardly makes sense. Darcy can play a few games this year, but no way is he ready to be a full time AFL number one ruck. Playing Sandilands and giving Darcy a few games makes, well a lot of sense in every way possible.

First of all lol. You bag Tabs as a second ruckman, make no mention of him as a forward then say you'd choose two other forwards (who can't ruck) over him? That made no sense. '

Back to the Johnson as a second ruckman topic. It's stupid, straight out. With Apeness injured and Straundica not ready, Tabs has to be our second ruck/forward. Are we suppose to play Johnson as a second ruck, then come Round One next year expect a player with no experience in that role at AFL level to compete? Tabs is doing fine as a second ruck and provides quite a bit as a forward. Tabs needs to be our forward/second ruck for now and the future, at least until Ape/Straundica are ready to go.

Probably an unnecessary shot at Tabs there. I'm starting to think you straight out don't like him and go out of your way to attack him and refuse to acknowledge that hes actually going alright.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back