Query Goal kicked in goal square not over man on the mark

Remove this Banner Ad

Gambitt

Debutant
Feb 7, 2010
AFL Club
West Coast
Can anyone help me out?
I am trying to remember who the player was who famously kicked a goal in the goal square without having to kick over the man on the mark back in the days before you automatically got set up straight in front and went on an acute angle instead. Would be grateful of anyone can find anything on it online to help me settle a bet. Thanks.

worbod

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2008
Bendigo
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Liverpool
The one I can think of is Simon Madden at the school end of Windy Hill. Richmond ruck Simon Clark was the man on the mark. Would have been 1987ish, maybe?

I think this is the same game I would be thinking about. The game where Madden simply strolled in and casually dribbled the ball over the goal line because the man on the mark left too much space between himself and the goal post.

blueycarlton

Team Captain
Sep 17, 2008
carnegie
AFL Club
Carlton
Can anyone help me out?
I am trying to remember who the player was who famously kicked a goal in the goal square without having to kick over the man on the mark back in the days before you automatically got set up straight in front and went on an acute angle instead. Would be grateful of anyone can find anything on it online to help me settle a bet. Thanks.
I remember Carlton's "Percy" Jones having a kick at goal with the player on the mark, placed on the goal line. Jones was on an acute angle and the player was about a meter in from the goal post towards the centre of the goals. "Percy" just walked up to the player turned and kicked it through.

Mr Ripper

Pink-cheeked and robust
Dec 21, 1999
Far North Fitzroy
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy FC
Can anyone help me out?

At 5:38 if the link dosen't take you straight there. 1988, 'twas.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back