Prediction 2017 Membership

Remove this Banner Ad

That's the first two home games at Spotless with lower crowds than their corresponding matches last year despite a healthy increase in membership.

I'm sure the club are analysing it but I've got to say it's a concern.

11,360 yesterday was very disappointing.

That's the first two home games at Spotless with lower crowds than their corresponding matches last year despite a healthy increase in membership.

I'm sure the club are analysing it but I've got to say it's a concern.

11,360 yesterday was very disappointing.
A point to note is there was a distinct lack of Pie supporters. The supporters appear to have put the cue in the rack. To me the members is growing nicely. We will not see many casual supporters turning up, so need to keep building membership. Yesterday before the game the pop up bar on the lawn to the left was the place to be. My wife and I sat there in the sun watching the families play kick to kick. We need to generate a point of difference that attracts people / families from other winter sports. The weather may not always be great for it, but maybe more of thar family oriented activity for these Sat 4:30pm games.

A point to note is there was a distinct lack of Pie supporters. The supporters appear to have put the cue in the rack. To me the members is growing nicely. We will not see many casual supporters turning up, so need to keep building membership. Yesterday before the game the pop up bar on the lawn to the left was the place to be. My wife and I sat there in the sun watching the families play kick to kick. We need to generate a point of difference that attracts people / families from other winter sports. The weather may not always be great for it, but maybe more of thar family oriented activity for these Sat 4:30pm games.
Ummmm where was this pop up bar ?

On HUAWEI NXT-L09 using BigFooty.com mobile app

I took my two girls (11 and 8) to their first Giants game on Saturday. They really enjoyed it and I loved having them there. They sitting on the fence when it comes to the Swans and Giants but I will keep working on them :) and sign them up if they show a bit more interest.

The attendance at the game seems solid but yes a little disappointing in relation to the membership.

We are still getting bigger crowds than my home state of Tasmania where AFL is a religion.

Was disappointed and worried in the crowd at 1st. Really worried and disappointed.

Then I remembered that this is not a quick enterprise. We weren't put here to take fans from other clubs but to build a supporter base from scratch, which we are doing.

The AFL did say this is a 20 year generational plan for a reason.

20k members, avging the same as most of the Sydney NRL and the growth in he game at a jnr level. Not bad after only 5/6 years.

We all know how great a club we are (even at this early stage) and what we deserve as a fan base, but we have to remember these things take time. Sydney took 20 years and they had this place to themselves(and had been a formed club for over 100 years before that).

Ummmm where was this pop up bar ?

On HUAWEI NXT-L09 using BigFooty.com mobile app
If you are standing in the forecourt looking at the main gates to Spotless, just off to your left. There is a grassed area between the skate park and the stadium. The bar was set up in front of the amphitheater. It was where post match signing sessions are held by Sydney Thunder.

39555323f983aaacabfb5e8632da2cdb.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

39555323f983aaacabfb5e8632da2cdb.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

We obviously have more members in NSW than are able to get to games in Sydney. :rolleyes:

We would also have quite a few dual members of other clubs, not just the Swans, but the rest of the AFL-diaspora now living here.

And we've even got 753 members in South Melbourne's... I mean, Sydney's, home state. :p

But whatever the reason for joining, there are now more than 20,000 people prepared to give us some of their hard-earned. Well done to everyone in the membership department. :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We obviously have more members in NSW than are able to get to games in Sydney. :rolleyes:
:thumbsu:

Kudos to the club for providing the breakdown.

Previously we have had a relatively high attendance to membership ratio. So far this season it has dropped, but it may be indicative of newer members testing the waters with membership packages that give access to fewer games.

Hypothetically, if all 14.3k NSW members were 3 game members attending 3 Spotless games a season, that would only contribute about 5.4k to the average Spotless attendance ( = 14.3k x 3 / 8 ). (You get a similar number for 20k total members spread over 11 games.)

The 5.4k contribution is obviously added to by members who attend more than 3 games and subtracted from by members who can't attend 3 games.

At the same time, the Suttor Stand (members reserve area) and Members Stand appear to be fuller than in previous years, which suggests some movement of already-existing members from 3-game to 8+-game memberships (though perhaps not a proportional shift).

I think we are also seeing less traveling opposition supporters in attendance, probably because their team will typically be underdog. This may be a short-term negative, but long-term it's a good thing if our supporters are growing as a percentage of home crowds.

There seems to be a base of about 7-8k who nearly always attend.

None of this is meant to gloss over what have still IMO been somewhat disappointing crowds in our first three Spotless games. Just trying to interpret what we are seeing.

Forgot to mention that 20k in itself is a very nice milestone! I'd been sweating on the mounting tally for a while now. :)

About 93% of members drawn from NSW/ACT is also encouraging in terms of growth of the game in expansion areas.

Previously we have had a relatively high attendance to membership ratio. So far this season it has dropped, but it may be indicative of newer members testing the waters with membership packages that give access to fewer games.

I think that may be a bit of it - but I think more importantly, it is oppo supporters and neutrals not attending that have dropped the crowd figures.

In the past couple of years we'd have almost been outnumbered by Collingwood or Richmond supporters - certainly outnumbered when you throw in the people wearing Adelaide or Carlton or hawthorn jumpers or just "street clothes" to those games.

This year, we had 70/75% of the crowd in orange and charcoal in both games and the number of out of place jumpers I've seen this year is next to none and even plain street clothes seems to have dropped off. The crowd has very much solidified into home and away - and there are less away supporters than previous.

We're not a novelty, we're not an easy kill,in fact quite the opposite. If you're picking an away game to travel to, you're better off heading to Metricon or Subi against Freo or North in Hobart than you are Spotless, where the only time you're likely to be able to sing your song is at the start of the game as they run through the banners.

Yes our crowds are down over all but I think the numbers of Giants fans are actually up.

45% of 14,000 or 75% of 11,000 (I know which one I'd take)

Actual Giants fans are actually turning up - and in larger numbers - even if the total crowd size is down.

And you also have to ask the other teams about their membership to attendance record. Take St Kilda for instance. They've cracked 40,000 members for the first time in their 150 year history. Yet they only average about 30,000 to home games - and that's in Melbourne where oppo fans don't have to travel at all and boost the numbers at those games - it drops off dramatically when it's an interstate team, giving a better indication of actual members actually attending.

Of course, nobody ever calls them on it.

I
And you also have to ask the other teams about their membership to attendance record. Take St Kilda for instance. They've cracked 40,000 members for the first time in their 150 year history. Yet they only average about 30,000 to home games - and that's in Melbourne where oppo fans don't have to travel at all and boost the numbers at those games - it drops off dramatically when it's an interstate team, giving a better indication of actual members actually attending.

Of course, nobody ever calls them on it.

If 19k fans attend a St Kilda v GWS match and they have 40k members then the ratio is about the same.

Actually, looking at ratios, using the afltables website which has averages for home and away attendances collated back to 1997 - and using last years membership figures and looking at attendances for interstate teams only, which gives you a bette indication of actual local membership support with less traveling fans) you'll find the following

Western Bulldogs
Membership: 39,459
Average home attendance for interstate teams: 18,749
High: Brisbane: 24,176
Low: Gold Coast: 11,560
Attendance to membership Ratio: 47.6%
This is slightly affected by home games being sold to: SCG 7, Cazaly 3, Mararra 8 and Manuka 5

Melbourne
Membership: 39,146
Average home attendance for interstate teams: 20,271
High: Sydney: 28,281
Low: Fremantle: 17,166
Attendance to membership Ratio: 51.8%
This is slightly affected by home games being sold to: Carrara 1, Gabba 7, Manuka 3, Mararra 7, Treager 4

St Kilda
Membership: 38,009
Average home attendance for interstate teams: 24,049
High: Sydney: 32,513
Low: Gold Coast: 17,775
Attendance to membership Ratio: 63.2%
This is slightly affected by home games being sold to: Wellington 2, York Park 7

GWS
Membership: 15,312
Average home attendance for interstate teams: 9,503
High: Hawthorn: 13,661
Low: Gold Coast: 7,736
Attendance to membership Ratio: 62.06%
This is slightly affected by home games being sold to: Blacktown 1, Manuka, 17

That was on the train on the way to work, I'll have a look at some of the bigger clubs later tonight

I still wonder if the policy re free tkts has changed this year. I get the larger number in club colours and this indicative of supportrrs who are willing to spend money Theres not a lot published about it so it's hard to know.

Good numbers there. Footy in nsw is getting healthier and I see it as a great thing.
Your team will be a regular finals side for some while now and that will only make crowd numbers and memberships improve.

Only 44 pets? That's roughly 0.00003% of the amount of pets that Hawthorn and Collingwood have in their inflated figures.

I still wonder if the policy re free tkts has changed this year. I get the larger number in club colours and this indicative of supportrrs who are willing to spend money Theres not a lot published about it so it's hard to know.
I don't have a source to quote for you but apparently they have scaled back the free tickets massively this year. However I noticed a post on twitter by Canada bay cannons that they have been given a whole bay of tickets for this round

Remove this Banner Ad

Back