• Eddie Betts

Votes: 63 64.9%

• Total voters

BagOfSnags

Debutant
Jun 26, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
I heard from a mate that this was covered on 'League Teams' which I have never seen but assume is a ripper show. So whos better at their prime (now) personally I'd take Eddie because he'll probably play more games a year than green due to suspension if tonight's game is anything to go by. (Umpires dialogue was interesting) (loves a cheap one) and Eddies spark to a team and crowd in invaluable.

BagOfSnags

Debutant
Jun 26, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
Wasn't saying he's a s**t bloke anyway, but the spuds on the show all said Greene which was interesting. Toby Sunk Westcoast on the weekend with two ripper snags in the dying minutes after spraying them all day. Clutch player Will be a champion.

Jak!x

Club Legend
May 7, 2013
The Border Of Sanity
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Toronto Raptors
I think it was Toby Greene or Devon Smith that got recruited by GWS and were told to adapt to a forward role because GWS' midfield is just too stacked. Greene looks like a player that could be equally good in both areas of the ground and would be an absolute star in a worser team, a small forward like Eddie would struggle in a team that couldn't get him the looks needed, ala Cyril, Papley, Walters, etc.
Would take Greene over Betts unless I had a gun team with a gun key forward.

Bokonon_

Cancelled
10k Posts
Nov 23, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
Toby will never have Betts brilliance and their hard to compare. Betts can do things on a football field that mortals just cant.
Toby is a tough nut who is also an excellent inside mid. There are times he seems to me to seek the defender because he enjoys the physical contest.
Happily find room for both in any team but cant directly compare.

May 8, 2007
vic
AFL Club
Richmond
Just thought I might throw this out there, when plenty are saying Betts may take over from Milne as the best small forward ever.

Dick Harris was a rover/small forward who played in the 30s and 40s for Richmond. He kicked 548 goals from 196 games. In 1937 he was the VFL leading goal kicker. He kicked 5+ goals in a game 38 times. (Betts has done it 25 times, Milne did it 19 times. Leigh Matthews did it 55 times in 330 games).

Harris wasn't played as the number one target in his career - Richmond had Jack Titus who was the full-forward and was leading goalkicker most years.

I can't think of another small forward who has won the overall H&A goalkicking in a season.

So....What's your point?:p

1. 30 years isn't a particularly 'short' period of time.
3. A good % of people who post on this site will have never seen Leigh Matthews play.
3. Goals are a lot harder to come by now than they were back in Matthews' time.

Back