Are Richmond the next Bulldogs?

Remove this Banner Ad

I think they are definitely a flag chance, in previous years I have seen them as slim to no chance but there is more resolve and steel about them this year, just need to win a couple of tight ones before the finals to get that gorilla off the back. If Rance, Martin, Cotchin and Riewoldt go into September fit and firing they are a great chance IMO.

I see it this way.
Top rung of contenders- GWS, Geelong, Western Bulldogs.
Next group- Richmond, Adelaide, Port Adelaide.

Slim to no chance- West Coast, Essendon, St.Kilda.

Will a lack of a tall forward haunt them come finals? That's their achilles heel atm, but it doesn't seem to be stopped them kicking goals. Maybe they ought to develop someone up there, keep them some experience.

Well you might be right. I actually think the Bulldogs are overrated this year, as the previous years premiers tend to be. They are a contender but will have to improve on last year as other sides have caught up, and while they covered potential weakness in key position players last year these things catch up with you eventually.
They may well improve at the pointy end as everyone seems to think they will, but they have the same prospect of that as a number of other sides in my view.

At times it feels they're going through a premiership hangover..

At times it feels they're going through a premiership hangover..

id say its 50/50
premiership hangover
teams are putting so much effort against us (tackling and pressure, contested ball)

id put this to you...
imagine west coast won the 2015 flag but you dont have josh kennedy. and the core group of your team are still young.

for the dogs its a struggle atm because we dont have a match winner, like a dusty, kennedy, dangerwood, buddy etc.. the best we have is stringer who shows up once every 7-8 games.

id say its 50/50
premiership hangover
teams are putting so much effort against us (tackling and pressure, contested ball)

id put this to you...
imagine west coast won the 2015 flag but you dont have josh kennedy. and the core group of your team are still young.

for the dogs its a struggle atm because we dont have a match winner, like a dusty, kennedy, dangerwood, buddy etc.. the best we have is stringer who shows up once every 7-8 games.

Yeah Dogs still have so much depth and potential. I just wonder if there's a psychological barrier for a team that hasn't really known a lot of success, even after winning the GF, for them to continue. I think they'll finish 4-6 this year, and probably go deep into the finals, but I think they're rightly not favourites for the flag atm, but that's obvious. Lack of a key tall forward aside from Cloke hasn't been too great of an issue...yet...but could definitely use one. Yeah Stringer definitely needs to be more consistent. The Bont is definitely getting into similar territory, but as effective as if he is he still could have more impact, I think if he racks up more possessions and kicks a few more he could easily be more of a match-winner. Can't really rely on running from half back, you need to be able to adapt your game, have a lot of capable marking forwards in contests they they flood back defence.

Yeah Dogs still have so much depth and potential. I just wonder if there's a psychological barrier for a team that hasn't really known a lot of success, even after winning the GF, for them to continue. I think they'll finish 4-6 this year, and probably go deep into the finals, but I think they're rightly not favourites for the flag atm, but that's obvious. Lack of a key tall forward aside from Cloke hasn't been too great of an issue...yet...but could definitely use one. Yeah Stringer definitely needs to be more consistent. The Bont is definitely getting into similar territory, but as effective as if he is he still could have more impact, I think if he racks up more possessions and kicks a few more he could easily be more of a match-winner. Can't really rely on running from half back, you need to be able to adapt your game, have a lot of capable marking forwards in contests they they flood back defence.

the lack of an A grade key forward is frustrating hence the reason we struggle to kick a winning score and put teams away. also our mids arent that damaging enough.

whats wrong with the eagles? im just not sure whats wrong with your team.

the lack of an A grade key forward is frustrating hence the reason we struggle to kick a winning score and put teams away. also our mids arent that damaging enough.

whats wrong with the eagles? im just not sure whats wrong with your team.

Yep, basically. I think address those and the Dogs will be a solidly top side. I think that could be the beginning of a Dogs dynasty. With the Western suburbs growing, and the Bulldogs membership base/fans growing, the Bulldogs could rise from being one of the smaller Melbourne clubs.

A lot of things, tbh. I think Simpson has a lot to do with it, tbh. Can't win in Melbourne. Even if we're entrenched in the top 8, I'm never confident playing in Melbourne even against the weaker sides. We got demolished against Essendon and Hawthorn. We looked shellshocked, like stunned bunnies, we're psychologically weak, and I feel that, more than anything, is at the heart of it. We're relying too much on Kennedy, Darling, LeCras up forward. Poor small/running forwards, Jetta hasn't really done much. We need an Eddie Betts/Toby Greene type player. I just think a general lack of hunger and consistency. I never rated us much this year, unfortunately. I think it's mostly a psychological/mental/discipline thing tbh than a strategic/tactical thing.

Yep, basically. I think address those and the Dogs will be a solidly top side. I think that could be the beginning of a Dogs dynasty. With the Western suburbs growing, and the Bulldogs membership base/fans growing, the Bulldogs could rise from being one of the smaller Melbourne clubs.

A lot of things, tbh. I think Simpson has a lot to do with it, tbh. Can't win in Melbourne. Even if we're entrenched in the top 8, I'm never confident playing in Melbourne even against the weaker sides. We got demolished against Essendon and Hawthorn. We looked shellshocked, like stunned bunnies, we're psychologically weak, and I feel that, more than anything, is at the heart of it. We're relying too much on Kennedy, Darling, LeCras up forward. Poor small/running forwards, Jetta hasn't really done much. We need an Eddie Betts/Toby Greene type player. I just think a general lack of hunger and consistency. I never rated us much this year, unfortunately. I think it's mostly a psychological/mental/discipline thing tbh than a strategic/tactical thing.

i just cant put my finger on the eagles. it could be mentality. on paper your team looks fine. i know the injury to nic nat hurts you a lot.

only teams I rate better than us are Adelaide, a fit GWS, Geelong and maybe Port.

On our day at the G we are capable of beat any of the above, so yes we are much like the the new doggies

only teams I rate better than us are Adelaide, a fit GWS, Geelong and maybe Port.

On our day at the G we are capable of beat any of the above, so yes we are much like the the new doggies
Dont need to be better than anyone now,just need to win enough games to make finals ,then season starts again.
Looks like Mighty Tigers will be there at the pointy end and that is good for the comp.
PS Port looked ordinary last night, funny season continues

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Such wonderful informative insights. This is the kind of thread I visit BF for. Simply outstanding reading.

If anyone's going to be the next Bulldogs it's the team that finished 7th this year, having to travel interstate for the first final against a red hot opponent, and no one giving them a chance to win. ;)

I'll be tipping Richmond to break both droughts (finals and against Geelong) and win comfortably in their first final. Whoever wins that game should really make the GF - as I believe it will be one of GWS, Port or West Coast. Lot of people seem to be writing the Tigers off, which is strange because they finished 3rd and probably should have finished 1st - but for some utter brain explosions earlier in the year.

tigas aren't anyone else, they just need to catch a wave and turn it into a success.

just trying to encourage.. like you do with a five year old who says.. Can I dad... ?

If anyone's going to be the next Bulldogs it's the team that finished 7th this year, having to travel interstate for the first final against a red hot opponent, and no one giving them a chance to win. ;)
Yep, Essendon beating Sydney at home is akin to the Dogs beating WC at home last year. Eagles were absolutely flying going into that game just like Sydney are now.

I'll be tipping Richmond to break both droughts (finals and against Geelong) and win comfortably in their first final. Whoever wins that game should really make the GF - as I believe it will be one of GWS, Port or West Coast. Lot of people seem to be writing the Tigers off, which is strange because they finished 3rd and probably should have finished 1st - but for some utter brain explosions earlier in the year.

Don't write the Swans off. They look set for a big finals push.

Lot of people seem to be writing the Tigers off, which is strange because they finished 3rd and probably should have finished 1st - but for some utter brain explosions earlier in the year.

Every team has brain explosions - the Cats got beaten by Gold Coast - how the **** does that happen? They should have finished top. Adelaide got beaten by North and by Hawthorn in Adelaide.

It's a marathon, not a sprint. Every side has a few bad days, bad quarters, bad 16 secs (go Tiges:p:p). Good sides have more good days then bad days.

However, come finals - it is a sprint. You have to get it right on the day. Obviously, the double chance helps, but after week 1 that's gone. You still have to win 2 (or 3) games in a row without having the bad one. And luck does comes into it - I saw North kick 2.11 in the 2nd quarter in the 98 GF. That's a bad day, probably coupled with bad luck. And in finals, the opposition will almost always make you pay.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back