Analysis Emotionally checked out (extended 2017 edition)

Have you checked out?

• YES

Votes: 170 56.7%
  • NO

Votes: 71 23.7%
  • tl;dr wang you are a knob !!

Votes: 59 19.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I've never even really sworn out of anger at the AFL watching on screen or attending. But I definitely feel more passion when attending. When I was a kid, about grade 5 to year 10, if I went to a game and we lost it would spoil my entire weekend (even into the week) lol. I think when year 11/12 comes around, things like social weekend parties/concerts etc are a good distraction and become an equal priority which is a good balance. And then being 19 you have to focus on things like further education, work, more complicated relationships, moving out, rent, exploring the bigger world, and basically just growing up where instead of footy being a core symbol it is more a pleasant distraction from the grind or issues (good and bad) you are having. So from your 20's onwards it's much more balanced in perspective.

Last edited:
I may or may not have gone under my bed and ripped up all my Richmond footy cards after the 1982 GF.

and yeah I'm at tugga level now where I had to watch the Essendon game on TV and quietly excused myself early in the last. Couldn't watch anymore
I reckon you don't get a feel for it on TV and at the game I probably would have felt more confortable at the game.

I may or may not have gone under my bed and ripped up all my Richmond footy cards after the 1982 GF.
Not a Bones McGhie footy card I hope. Worth a mint these days, I'd give a tinny a half smoked Marlborough red for one of those cards.

and yeah I'm at tugga level now where I had to watch the Essendon game on TV and quietly excused myself early in the last. Couldn't watch anymore
I reckon you don't get a feel for it on TV and at the game I probably would have felt more confortable at the game.
You can see play unfold when you are there. Aussie Rules is a horrible sport to watch on TV. Plus there is the commentary thrown in as well.

Not a Bones McGhie footy card I hope. Worth a mint these days, I'd give a tinny a half smoked Marlborough red for one of those cards.
I reckon I've got one.
I have actually kept them all right back to the early 70's -80's.
The ones I ripped up would have been spares. Coward.

I much prefer to be at the game but circumstances dictate can't be at every one. Absurd fixturing decsisons that have us playing in Geelong or etihad will generally rule me out. The house clears out when I'm watching even the dog leaves the room as my emotional roller coaster does its thing,,,,,oh the agony and the ecstasy

Lol!

A smart future thinking coward.
I should have ripped them up!
I have full sets from years of all teams just sitting there gathering dust!

Clean them up and put them in little album sleeves.

Or sell them at a memorabilia shop, you'd be surprised how much people will pay these sort of things
Yeah I've put them in albums years ago to look after them, but they are just forgotten about and never see the light of day.
No idea what they are worth. Probably should look into it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m back in the #eco camp this season. Catching up on the thread, I feel like I need to explain what that’s like for me because I don’t see many posts that nail my experience. So I’ll expand a bit on the checking in, checking out of the hotel analogy to explain what #eco is for me.

I don’t live in the hotel. The hotel is somewhere I go for a holiday. It costs me something. It’s less comfortable than home. But I enjoy it a lot and get great value from what it costs me. I look forward breaking the routine and can’t wait for the next time.

I checked in during 2012 for the first time in a long time. I stayed until the 2015 EF. Like all holidays, there were good times, but also times when I wondered what the * I was doing in this tiny, noisy box with a fridge that was waaaaay too small for the amount of beer I needed to keep cold.

By the time I was walking down the hill towards Richmond station after watching the 2015 EF, which was essentially a replay of our previous 2 EF losses, I knew I was done. I’d stayed too long. The beautiful beach had become insipid. It was shitting me that I was eating my breakfasts surrounded by strangers. I needed to get home, to my long-term way of supporting my Tigers.

Going home, or checking out, doesn’t mean I don’t care. I still enjoy the wins and growl at the losses. It’s not that I’m completely disengaged. I’m just less engaged than when I check in. I’m in a holding pattern. I get up, go to work, come home. Business as usual. There are very few outstanding highlights, but no real pain either. Just a comfy but boring routine.

I’ll check back in if I believe the hotel has something genuinely different to offer.

I’m back in the #eco camp this season. Catching up on the thread, I feel like I need to explain what that’s like for me because I don’t see many posts that nail my experience. So I’ll expand a bit on the checking in, checking out of the hotel analogy to explain what #eco is for me.

I don’t live in the hotel. The hotel is somewhere I go for a holiday. It costs me something. It’s less comfortable than home. But I enjoy it a lot and get great value from what it costs me. I look forward breaking the routine and can’t wait for the next time.

I checked in during 2012 for the first time in a long time. I stayed until the 2015 EF. Like all holidays, there were good times, but also times when I wondered what the **** I was doing in this tiny, noisy box with a fridge that was waaaaay too small for the amount of beer I needed to keep cold.

By the time I was walking down the hill towards Richmond station after watching the 2015 EF, which was essentially a replay of our previous 2 EF losses, I knew I was done. I’d stayed too long. The beautiful beach had become insipid. It was shitting me that I was eating my breakfasts surrounded by strangers. I needed to get home, to my long-term way of supporting my Tigers.

Going home, or checking out, doesn’t mean I don’t care. I still enjoy the wins and growl at the losses. It’s not that I’m completely disengaged. I’m just less engaged than when I check in. I’m in a holding pattern. I get up, go to work, come home. Business as usual. There are very few outstanding highlights, but no real pain either. Just a comfy but boring routine.

I’ll check back in if I believe the hotel has something genuinely different to offer.
Beautiful :hearts:

Wow a lot of feels in here.. Is tugga posting in here as I have him on ignore?
Can you see this campaigner?

monkey.jpg

Ironic, because that's kind of all the club has gathered since 1982 too.
I remember my last year of high school in 1988 And myself and my Richmond supporter mates at school used to carry on like we had been crap for the longest time ever.
Because our whole High School time 83-88 we were rubbish it just felt like a life time.
But we consoled ourselves knowing that we would be winning a few in the 90's.....

* me

Back