Medicine Fecal transplants

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oldham
SBS had an interesting episode of Insight the other day about the recent research on gut bacteria. Our diet of processed food, and the heavy use of antibiotics can kill off the bacteria in our large intestines that are vital for our health. In some cases previously incurable conditions can be fixed by transplanting faeces from a healthy donor to a recipient.

An interesting snippet from the show was that taking probiotics doesn't usually improve our health because our guts contain so many types of bacteria whereas probiotics typically contain one type. Research is being carried out on taking cocktails of probiotic species.

They also discussed a recent study that found different people react to foods in different ways. For example, some people's blood sugar does not spike after eating chocolate but does with bread and vice versa. It may be possible to devise tests and advise on diets for individuals to lose weight or avoid diabetes.

http://www.sbs.com.au/ondemand/video/951650371971/insight-gut-feeling

Fibre it great. But changing your diet doesn't always cut it.

Watch the docos, and if you can get Tim Spectors book, The Diet Myth.

The flora can all be ingested by dietary practices need to be put in place so the desirable microbes will flourish.

In recent years I have had horrible stomach issues and for some reason when I turned 20 I became lactose intolerant. I had always been fine with milk up until then.

Now I get cramps all the time, wake up like there is a squid strangling my gut and I've tried all kinds of things, had colon/endoscopies etc. It has ruined parts of my life and the plans I had of moving my career to Asia due to the local cuisine just killling my gut.

I don't know if this treatment is even available in Australia yet, but I would absolutely give this a go since nothing else seems to work.

In recent years I have had horrible stomach issues and for some reason when I turned 20 I became lactose intolerant. I had always been fine with milk up until then.

Now I get cramps all the time, wake up like there is a squid strangling my gut and I've tried all kinds of things, had colon/endoscopies etc. It has ruined parts of my life and the plans I had of moving my career to Asia due to the local cuisine just killling my gut.

I don't know if this treatment is even available in Australia yet, but I would absolutely give this a go since nothing else seems to work.
Try drinking soy milk mate. Normal milk gives you that issue

Read an article recently on this and that a large amount of pro athletes are found to a have certain types of gut bacteria which most people do not have. Opens a pandoras box for a new range of doping techniques for those desperate enough.

Read an article recently on this and that a large amount of pro athletes are found to a have certain types of gut bacteria which most people do not have. Opens a pandoras box for a new range of doping techniques for those desperate enough.

Cause or effect? I imagine it's the result of not destroying your gut bacteria with the standard couch potato diet of processed crap combined with the benefits of exercise on gut bacteria diversity.

I'm sure anyone competing at a high enough level to consider doping would already belong to the group with the improved gut bacteria.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's a gastroenterologist in Sydney who advocates this as a treatment for Inflammatory Bowel Syndrome, which sounds like the label that would be applied to your symptoms. It is not a very rigorously proven treatment for this sort of thing though yet.

http://www.probiotictherapy.com.au/index.html.

SBS had an interesting episode of Insight the other day about the recent research on gut bacteria. Our diet of processed food, and the heavy use of antibiotics can kill off the bacteria in our large intestines that are vital for our health. In some cases previously incurable conditions can be fixed by transplanting faeces from a healthy donor to a recipient.

An interesting snippet from the show was that taking probiotics doesn't usually improve our health because our guts contain so many types of bacteria whereas probiotics typically contain one type. Research is being carried out on taking cocktails of probiotic species.

They also discussed a recent study that found different people react to foods in different ways. For example, some people's blood sugar does not spike after eating chocolate but does with bread and vice versa. It may be possible to devise tests and advise on diets for individuals to lose weight or avoid diabetes.

http://www.sbs.com.au/ondemand/video/951650371971/insight-gut-feeling

who knew two girls one cup was a leading edge scientific diet

Remove this Banner Ad

Back