Gippsland Greats

Remove this Banner Ad

Couldn't get much more legendary than big "pinhead" Loveless.I watched him from close range playing for Footscray in a practice match against Hawthorn at Maffra in the early 80's ,and a pack developed in the goal square waiting for someone to take a speccy on the goal line (as they did in those days)and while the goal and boundary umps were watching the flight of the ball coming in,big Shane grabbed Michael Moncrief by the hair at the back of his head and slammed his face into the goal post... ah!! the good old days.The boy could really play though ,he kicked 7 on Bruce Doull one game.You just don't get characters like him in the game anymore and it's a real shame.

That is GOLD!

did see his son play a game this year against darnum he has very good hands and a fairly talented footballer looks like he may be a handy footballer in a couple of years

This is an old thread, but I thought I would contribute.

Trevor Pugh.

1967- Club best and fairest Dalyston-Thirds

1968- Club best and fairest Dalyston-Thirds

1969 under 17s Hawthorn, missed 3 games as Dalyston wouldn’t clear him, lost league best and fairest by 3 votes. Won runners up best and fairest

1970 Pre-season under 19s Hawthorn

Rest of his career was at Wonthaggi Blues Football Club.

1970 - 11 senior games (starting rnd 11) – Grandfinal- Wonthaggi- Club Best and fairest
1971 - 21 senior games - GF and GF replay- Club Best and fairest – League Best and Fairest
1972 - 18 senior games - GF
1973 - 18 senior games - lost Prelim Final- Club Best and fairest
1974 - 16 senior games- Club Best and fairest
1975 - 17 senior games- Club Best and Fairest - League Best and Fairest
1976 - 14 senior games- League Best and Fairest
1977 - 19 senior games (incl 2 finals)- Club Best and Fairest - Coach
1978 - 15 senior games, 22 goals - Senior premiership Coach
1979 - 19 senior games, 36 goals - Senior B&F, Senior premiership Coach-Club Best and Fairest - Coach
1980 - 15 senior games, 39 goals - lost Prelim Final, Senior Coach
1981 - 16 senior games, 26 goals - lost GF, Senior Coach
1982 - 14 senior games, 22 goals - Senior Premiership Coach
1983 - 19 senior games, 30 goals - lost Prelim F (P Hanley Coach)

1986 - joint coach with Len Foster
1987 - Senior Premiership Coach
1988 - Senior Premiership Coach
1989 - Senior Coach - lost GF
1990 - Senior Coach - lost GF
1991- Senior Coach- Won GF

Total: 232 Senior games

Big Shane Loveless.

Jeez, I watch him play Moe one day at Moe and Wayne "Gouger" Vincent had the job of trying to stop him from kicking 20 goals.

If my memory serves me, (and I may be wrong with the names)Ted Fidge Ko'd Rob Sim in the middle of the ground and an all in brawl broke out. The conditions were less than desirable with mudpits all over the place.

Well when big Loveless saw the fracas in the centre he started to move the massive frame in that direction. When "Gouger" saw what was probably going to transpire, he leapt at big Shane from behind, got him in a sleeper hold and slowly, over 25 metres brought the monolith to the ground, holding his head in the mud til the dust cleared. I reckon if he had have gotten free, someone would have been killed.

"Gouger", seriously wasnt letting him go until there were 10 team-mates and 2 umpires around to keep the big fella off him. I think big Shane still kicked 10 that day, and as kids we just followed him from end to end, and we were Moe supporters.
He had a huge punch on with my cousin at Leongatha he got 8 weeks and Loveless got 10.

Big Shane Loveless.

Jeez, I watch him play Moe one day at Moe and Wayne "Gouger" Vincent had the job of trying to stop him from kicking 20 goals.

If my memory serves me, (and I may be wrong with the names)Ted Fidge Ko'd Rob Sim in the middle of the ground and an all in brawl broke out. The conditions were less than desirable with mudpits all over the place.

Well when big Loveless saw the fracas in the centre he started to move the massive frame in that direction. When "Gouger" saw what was probably going to transpire, he leapt at big Shane from behind, got him in a sleeper hold and slowly, over 25 metres brought the monolith to the ground, holding his head in the mud til the dust cleared. I reckon if he had have gotten free, someone would have been killed.

"Gouger", seriously wasnt letting him go until there were 10 team-mates and 2 umpires around to keep the big fella off him. I think big Shane still kicked 10 that day, and as kids we just followed him from end to end, and we were Moe supporters.

Not sure if same game but Gouger and Ted ended up in the same ward one night. One with a broken jaw and one with a broken fist i thought. Gouger was one of the driest humoured bastards to play the game

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ha Ha, Loveless, had a slash in the goal square during a game when playing in the old Latrobe Valley League.
During his time in the GVFL, he apparently exposed himself to an opposition female supporter who was heckling him.
As well as knocking out an opposition club president at half time at their ground. He was arrested in his footy gear and the coppers took him away and returned him at the end of the game.
Played at 16 different clubs with Heyfield and Boisdale-Briagolong in North and East Gippy Leagues
He could really play though.
https://www.latrobevalleyexpress.co...loveless-snagged-the-lvfl-goalkicking-record/

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back