Running Thread - Join our Strava Club!

Remove this Banner Ad

7 freedom park runs sounds awesome! As a North supporter no problem to plan runs for September. Surf coast century 100 is on for Sep, with You Yangs 42 or 50 in July, and the SCC training legs in June, July and August.
Lucky bugger, SCC 100 was my goal racecl for 2017 too. Have you raced the 50k there before?

Sent from my HUAWEI NXT-L09 using Tapatalk

Anyone thinking of getting a pair of those new Nike marathon shoes?

At $350 it's probably a tad pricey for me given I don't run marathons yet (only up to halfs), but i'd love to hear from someone that's actually got a pair and whether it's worth it.

http://store.nike.com/au/en_gb/pd/zoom-vaporfly-4-running-shoe/pid-11792713/pgid-11797687
yeah, no.
its been pretty clearly shown by Nike themselves that the 4% claim is bullshit.

it should be called 40% because its about 40% more than im prepared to pay for a pair of running shoes.
also, as a general rule i dont find shoes with such a big stack height to be comfortable.

No haven't PP, ran the first leg from Anglesea to Torquay 1.5 weeks ago, absolutely amazing! First time on the course, can't wait!
Lucky bugger, SCC 100 was my goal racecl for 2017 too. Have you raced the 50k there before?

No haven't PP, ran the first leg from Anglesea to Torquay 1.5 weeks ago, absolutely amazing! First time on the course, can't wait!
Ah, good stuff. You ran with the organised training run? Is was magic on race day last year with the 5:30am start & the sunrise coming up over the cliffs. I didn't even get wet feet on the first leg. Beat the tide. Was very cool looking around at all the head torches along the beach as the runners made their way along. One piece of advice was do your first few kms a bit quicker to beat the bottlenecks at a few of the stair climbs along the beach. Might be easier this year as the 50km race is legs 3&4 and has a different start time.

lol i'll pay that.

Although most of what they talk about are in relation to injury risk - racing shoes are a different beast, i'm primarily concerned about performance. You'll see me searching the outlet stores for training shoes all the time, i'm happy to take the 3 year old model of shoes i'm comfortable in for a third of the price of the latest model. I don't think it makes any difference at all if they feel comfortable. But when I look for shoes i'm going to race in i'm much more likely to fork out more money because they can genuinely bring down times, and i'm not wearing them long enough to cause any major injuries (although granted I can have pretty sore feet a few hours later).

The vaporflys are in that category. Not that i'm likely to spend $350 on the bloody things though. Not when I can get a pair of Ekidens for $70.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is it just me or is strava giving everyone alot more elevation than it used to?

Hadn't noticed but elevation isn't something I usually get a lot of and thus take notice of.

However I've stepped that up this month and should crack the full elevation challenge for the first time this month. Is it 2500m or something? Heading down to Wilsons Prom for 20-25km Thursday so that should get me there.

Entered Two Bays on the Mornington Peninsula last week. Will be my first time. Considered the 56km event but just haven't got that confidence in myself yet so went with the 28km.

Hadn't noticed but elevation isn't something I usually get a lot of and thus take notice of.

However I've stepped that up this month and should crack the full elevation challenge for the first time this month. Is it 2500m or something? Heading down to Wilsons Prom for 20-25km Thursday so that should get me there.

Entered Two Bays on the Mornington Peninsula last week. Will be my first time. Considered the 56km event but just haven't got that confidence in myself yet so went with the 28km.
Yeah i normally get nothing at all either but then it suddenly started giving me 60 odd metres for my local parkrun which was normally zero and have gotten heaps ever since.

So Perth marathon on sunday was abit of a roller coaster, mostly ups but a couple of downs.

Was going pretty well till the 35-36km mark when i stopped for a quick toilet break and couldnt get going for a little while after that. Managed to get the legs going again to through the last 3-4km and get in under 4 hours for 3:57 and a 22min PB. Had initially tried to stick with the 3:30 pacer but he was all over the place from 4:38/km up to about 5:10/km so in hindsight i might have just been better off just pacing myself and not burning myself up so early.

Many lessons learnt and as much as i hurt i found myself asking as i sat on the grass after the race "whens the next one?" :tearsofjoy:.

Many lessons learnt and as much as i hurt i found myself asking as i sat on the grass after the race "whens the next one?" :tearsofjoy:.

After my first and still only one last year, I was sitting in the bagging area afterwards saying to myself "never ******* again" :D

Then a few days later "when's the next one" surfaced haha. Still haven't answered that though. Although 36km of Wonderland fun is approaching.

I know it's very late notice, but is anyone interested in running the Surf Coast Trail half marathon on Saturday?

I've registered but have pulled up with an injury.

Anyone is welcome to take my place - no charge. I think it's not too late to transfer my registration.

Send me a message asap if keen.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back