2nds Werribee 2017 (No finals. Matt Hanson wins BnF. Thanks for the memories 'Bees)

Remove this Banner Ad

OOF deep for Bees.

Great def work from Hibberd. They miss. 63-86.

Nielson does really well to prevent the turnover. Throw in on the def flank.

Nielson rebounds again but they mark. And go fwd. Set shot from 50. Behind eventually. 63-87. 14 min mark

Gribble kick a ripper from the boundary

Brew has just wrecked a dogs player

Dogs by 16, bees not out of it

d39c9c91c9cd505d72eb814da032ae54.jpg

They hit the post. 63-88.

Ball comes out to the wing. Contested ball for a while but Jed gives away a free.

Sam Wright intercepts. Finds Nielson who kicks fwd. Nice sidestep from MHanson. Finds Hribble. Goal. 69-88. 17 min mark.

Go Dale Gribble

Nielson marks. Resulting kick eventually gies OOB.

Nielson another great def mark. Hibberd bombs it. Turn over. Bees trying but probably a bridge too far.

Bees go I50 but can't make it happen. Sam Wright has been good this qtr.

Ball deep in their f50. Bees rebound but turn it over. Dogs chipping it around. 24min mark. Mark to them inside 50. Set shot. OOF. 69-88. Winning streak appears over though.

Since the game is done, my summaries:

Preuss- Best of the North players. Consistent 4 quarter effort. Dominated the hit outs. Took contested marks around the ground. Got ground level possessions. Can't do any more than he's doing.

Hibberd: great first half, a bit quieter in the 2nd. Was clean when he had it. Spread from the contest well. Best I've seen him play.

Nielson: a few mistakes but did well over all. Especially in the last quarter. Some very good contested marks.

Anderson: got better as the game wore on. Did some nice things.

Zurhaar: building nicely. Creates and isxhard at it. Needs to accumulate more and he'll really start to impact games.

Wagner: Started ok but was pretty much invisible. Needed the run.

Wright: looked gone at stages but battled on and looked to be finding some touch by the end. Encouraging.

Fordham: provided his usual good run at stages and contributed. Solid game.

Larkey: competed well, kicked a few goals and even provided run down the wing a few times. A lot to like as always.

Hansen: continued where he left off from the North game last week. A few nice marks, a few catastrophes. Needs better if he's to get back in but played as if he thinks he won't.

Taylor: Has been quiet most of the year but noticed him more today. A number of defensive marks and used it well.

Overall: outrun in the end, but didn't disgrace themselves. Clearly missed Swallow and Daw this week. Still well placed at 6-3.

Since the game is done, my summaries:

Hibberd: great first half, a bit quieter in the 2nd. Was clean when he had it. Spread from the contest well. Best I've seen him play.

Heard this a few times this year so thats very encouraging that he is improving :)

Thanks for the updates to both you and Snakey......good for guys who have no lives such as myself :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Poor transition play was the difference. The differences were similar to both senior sides. The dogs hunted the contest well and were cleaner in close & The Bees butchered the ball in transition.

Preuss: BOG for mine but he drifted out as the game went on. English used his athleticism to get around the ground after half time, but was given a hiding in the first half.

Zurhaar: Just makes things happen. Will get a rookie upgrade at the end of the year. If there was 20 scoring chains, then I reckon he was involved in 10 of them. Tended to slip over a bit today. I'd be tossing those boots out Cameron.

Hibberd: Best behind Preuss for mine. Got plenty of the ball and generally used it well. The first time I have seen him up close and he is well developed physically. On todays effort, he would be the player I would promote should we need to do that.

Fordham: Racked up plenty of the ball and ran hard all day. In Werribees best.

Anderson: Showed a lot more than I expected after a shizen game in the seniors, got involved physically with some slamming tackles and a couple of punches in the guts. Jed has to use this game as a base to spring forward.

Larkey: Didn't have it so easy and the dogs did their homework on him. Was picked up deep by Fletcher Roberts who used his experience and extra weight to good advantage. Still bobbed up with a couple of goals and looks like a natural footballer. Will make it.

Hansen: Took some nice marks in defence, but wasn't really suited to the style of play the dogs bring.

Neilsen: Was solid again on the last line. Has serious footy smarts. Needs more time. Will make it.

Wagner: Bobs up here & there, but I can't really see a significant point of difference in his game style.

Wright: Was understandably rusty and when he worked in to it, was let down by teammates that don't have his footy smarts. Needs another couple at this level.

Taylor: Bobbed up to take a few good marks playing deep defence. He looks more a shutdown type to me.

Matt Hanson was interesting. He is one of the best VFL listed midfielders, yet seemed to play most of the game as a forward. Overall, Werribee can take heart from this game. They were in it up until half way through the last quarter, were undermanned, and could blame skill errors for not getting closer. They have heaps of upside on todays effort.

I'll add my thoughts to those of those before me...

Preuss: dominated the ruck against a light weight English. Spent more time forward than I would have liked and looked to be labouring a little bit in the second half. Has the strength to make his own clearances rather than always try to feed a rover.

Hibberd looked more calm than I've seen so far. He's built like a bull.

Wagner was here and there and sort of nowhere, but nothing to worry about.

Fordham was able to break free of congestion a few times very nicely.

Neilson I have no concerns about whatsoever. 3 huge intercept marks in the last and seems to be hitting his straps in terms of timing.

Anderson serviceable.

Zurhaar excellent.

Larkey honest. Didn't enjoy great service but kept involved all day.

And mine although I left at 3/4 time.

Preuss continues his very good form and has a higher anaerobic capacity than early in the year - massive improvement!

Larkey showed he was willing to try new things, wasn't too predictable and his defensive forward work was noticed.

Hibberd was his usual self all day. Can't wait for him to get a solid few consecutive weeks at senior level.

Zurhaar as above, diamond in the rough, massive upside.

Neilson was consistent, will slot in nicely when given a chance in the future. I have a few concerns with him, but that's due to my professional opinion.

Wags, Jed, Sammy all need time which hopefully isn't months.

And mine although I left at 3/4 time.

Preuss continues his very good form and has a higher anaerobic capacity than early in the year - massive improvement!

Larkey showed he was willing to try new things, wasn't too predictable and his defensive forward work was noticed.

Hibberd was his usual self all day. Can't wait for him to get a solid few consecutive weeks at senior level.

Zurhaar as above, diamond in the rough, massive upside.

Neilson was consistent, will slot in nicely when given a chance in the future. I have a few concerns with him, but that's due to my professional opinion.

Wags, Jed, Sammy all need time which hopefully isn't months.

What are your concerns on Neilson?

Peter Jackson VFL 2017

Footscray 3.6 5.10 11.12 13.17 (95)
Werribee 2.4 3.7 7.8 10.11 (71)

GOALS:
Footscray: Bruhn 4 Nash 2 Webb Gowers Hamilton Lipinski Tashevski-Beckwith Smith Mullenger-Mchugh
Werribee: Munro 3 Gribble 2 Larkey 2 Zurhaar Hanson Pinnuck

BEST:
Footscray: Collins Boyd Nash Hayes Roberts English
Werribee: Munro Preuss McFarlane Hanson Larkey Barrack

Remove this Banner Ad

Back