On the weekend I played...

Remove this Banner Ad

I've got that one and play it with my kids. But also looking for new games suitable for kids - hence my question.

One game we haven't been able to get into is hanabi. Too hard for my kids.
There's a kid's Catan as well. Quite easy.

I've ordered the meeple/rampage game - many thanks for suggestions. My kids are good with ticket to ride, king of Tokyo, carcassone. Even the one who can't read. However when they insist on helping each other it pisses me off !!! They have this rule called 'hard rubbish' on ticket to ride where you can give someone a colour card they need. Not the spirit !

I've ordered the meeple/rampage game - many thanks for suggestions. My kids are good with ticket to ride, king of Tokyo, carcassone. Even the one who can't read. However when they insist on helping each other it pisses me off !!! They have this rule called 'hard rubbish' on ticket to ride where you can give someone a colour card they need. Not the spirit !
Terror in Meeple City is fantastic. The worst part was putting all the little stickers on the Meeples haha.

Worth it for such a simple, fun game though.

Finally a good excuse to not be doing work outside getting the house ready to sell with some miserable weather yesterday. Broke out Above and Below and Relic Runners. The latter a Days of Wonder game where you're explorers searching ruins and temples, various points for finding things or collecting the most different types of relics. Nothing mind blowing, but enjoyed it. Like many games modified rules for 2 players, so looking forward to getting it out with more players at a later point.

Played Pandemic and Smallworld with a couple of mates today. In Pandemic we cured three diseases but (only just) ran out of time in curing the fourth. First time playing Smallworld for all of us. Enjoyed it. The guy who won it (by a country mile I'll add) did well with his race choices. Underworld Sorcerers are a prick to play against, I tell ya. LOL.

My regular gaming session was supposed to be The Battle of Fulford (1066). (Very excited about this series, I haven't seen a game that presents the arrogance of cavalry so well - you can ride down not only your enemy's infantry but your own), but my friend and his wife hadn't finished playing it so we started to set up an old game of 1944's Operation Market Garden that my gaming partner had wanted since he was 16, but we found that some of the pieces hadn't turned up to play, so finally we settled on a playable-within-an-hour game of the classic battle Blenheim (1704). The Bourbon's attacked when they should have defended and Marlborough and the Grand Alliance quickly swept the Bourbon forces from the field.

This weekend, and with my regular gaming partner overseas, it's time to start playing the classic game The Russian Campaign. There's an annual play-by-email tournament and the pairings have just been announced. Not expecting to win no matter which side I play.

The usual gaming crew last Friday night - Star Trek Catan, a longish game where all 4 were in with a chance. The Klingon warbird caused havoc all game. Bloodrage after, I managed a win with only 135 points, cashed in on the quests.

Shadow War Armageddon night!

Two games - lost the first one to Chaos Marines that would not take wounds.

Grenade launcher Drake taken out without firing a shot. Plasma rifle out of ammo. Flak armour next to useless. Bottled. Drake captured!

68a3695a97195a0c516e1e8e5b5291ca.jpg

Ripleeeeeey!

But some nice upgrades... Hot Shot laser ammo negates the Chaos Marines toughness!

4e500e604adb05b0aa859bfa55d047eb.jpg

So the next game was a rescue.

Marines set up in my new building piece, my lads got to deploy right outside.

One turn.

Ripley's flamer fries two Marines.

5c7e54ae865118c8b1b0f29f91540b79.jpg

Gorman, Hicks, Hudson burst in guns blazing. Apone finds a tiny gap to shoot through.

2 Marines down, one pinned.

Victory! Drake is rescued and severely admonished.

065a113d2e4f2807d989c5e5e34160ca.jpg

3 Promethium caches! Plasma gunner Vasquez gets new skills! Crack shot and Marksman - now re-rolls all to hit and to wound rolls!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:
The longest game of Betrayal ever.

Widow's Walk expansion. Would have used every tile given what we were playing.

All the buff rooms were out and everyone has built up speed.

5ab72ac6126fd77338f7e744873cc2c2.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Shadow War Armageddon night!

Two games - lost the first one to Chaos Marines that would not take wounds.

Grenade launcher Drake taken out without firing a shot. Plasma rifle out of ammo. Flak armour next to useless. Bottled. Drake captured!

68a3695a97195a0c516e1e8e5b5291ca.jpg

Ripleeeeeey!

But some nice upgrades... Hot Shot laser ammo negates the Chaos Marines toughness!

4e500e604adb05b0aa859bfa55d047eb.jpg

So the next game was a rescue.

Marines set up in my new building piece, my lads got to deploy right outside.

One turn.

Ripley's flamer fries two Marines.

5c7e54ae865118c8b1b0f29f91540b79.jpg

Gorman, Hicks, Hudson burst in guns blazing. Apone finds a tiny gap to shoot through.

2 Marines down, one pinned.

Victory! Drake is rescued and severely admonished.

065a113d2e4f2807d989c5e5e34160ca.jpg

3 Promethium caches! Plasma gunner Vasquez gets new skills! Crack shot and Marksman - now re-rolls all to hit and to wound rolls!

I've got this but haven't played it yet? Have you played original Necromunda? If so how does it compare for you?

I've got this but haven't played it yet? Have you played original Necromunda? If so how does it compare for you?

Nope never played Necromunda but gaming group says this is exactly the same but for some numbers in the weapons tables and the campaign system is pretty different.

I got salty about losing then got 200 points to upgrade , and wiped the Chaos Marines in one move.

We didn't play some prep aspects like choosing terrain pieces and the "lost in the sump" step. But that is OK because the group is getting itself together and so on.

Also: so you have the box set or just the book?

Mars Attacks with the youngest.

We left out the cards and he cracked the sads when he started losing, and brought extra martians on.

Pretty fun - very easy to play.

Last edited:
Nope never played Necromunda but gaming group says this is exactly the same but for some numbers in the weapons tables and the campaign system is pretty different.

I got salty about losing then got 200 points to upgrade , and wiped the Chaos Marines in one move.

We didn't play some prep aspects like choosing terrain pieces and the "lost in the sump" step. But that is OK because the group is getting itself together and so on.

Also: so you have the box set or just the book?

I bought the full box set.

From what i've read the new campaign system lacks a lot of the most fun aspects of the old necromunda, but because the game itself is essentially the same, will be able to mix and match house rules as we please to take the best parts.

My regular gaming session was supposed to be The Battle of Fulford (1066). (Very excited about this series, I haven't seen a game that presents the arrogance of cavalry so well - you can ride down not only your enemy's infantry but your own), but my friend and his wife hadn't finished playing it so we started to set up an old game of 1944's Operation Market Garden that my gaming partner had wanted since he was 16, but we found that some of the pieces hadn't turned up to play, so finally we settled on a playable-within-an-hour game of the classic battle Blenheim (1704). The Bourbon's attacked when they should have defended and Marlborough and the Grand Alliance quickly swept the Bourbon forces from the field.

This weekend, and with my regular gaming partner overseas, it's time to start playing the classic game The Russian Campaign. There's an annual play-by-email tournament and the pairings have just been announced. Not expecting to win no matter which side I play.

I still own a battered copy of the AH version of this game. My first wargame purchased all the way back in 1985 with my big boy money. A fine game.

Sorry, I was looking at the video, this one.

Got it. Nice first game! ;) I think that was my first one too, except my copy I found in a house that I moved into after some a friend and his friends moved out. Also there was Jedko's 'The Africa Campaign' (which is also in the sprucing-up process) and a couple of boxes of 'Space Hulk' pieces (easily enough to play with.), there may have been some others too, but they were the highlights.

Last weekend I played a lot of Redvers' Reverse a solitaire game which puts the player in the position of Sir Redvers Buller trying, during the Boer War, to relieve the siege of Ladysmith on the 15th of December, 1899. Historically the venture was a disaster and contributed to Redvers' sacking not long after.

The game nicely simulates the recon and leadership problems that sank the British efforts Battle of Colenso. River crossings are 'double-blind': a counter with a number on it is placed on a potential crossing. The number is hidden: when you try to cross the number is revealed and you roll against the number to cross. Redvers gets to issue orders, but they won't be fulfilled unless the order gets to a subordinate commander (the greater the distance between the two the less chance it will get there) and on top of that there's the chance that even if the order arrives the subordinate will ignore the order or act in excess of it. Watch hopelessly as your artillery get picked off by Boers when the infantry required to protect them don't show up, or thrill to an infantry brigade getting wiped out when it advances further than you ask it to into the thick of well entrenched Boers!

There's 18 variant rules, 10 to make it easier and 8 to make it harder, but I'm not trying those until I get a win in the historical scenario.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back