U18 Champs Round 3 - WA vs Allies

Remove this Banner Ad

Thoughts on the game Keys. Better players etc.

For anyone interested I plan on getting to the earlier WA game against Country at Etihad on Friday. May stay around for the later game but am going to the MCG at night
It was a bit of a scrappy game imo and of the three WA games I thought it was the lowest standard game. A lot of unforced skill errors and less pressure than the previous two games

Most of the WA players were below what they showed in the previous two games

One exception to that was Callan England who had a very good game and was the dominant midfielder on the ground. Got out into space well and ball use was solid

There were several new faces for WA the best of which was Eastland who played the backup ruck role that Frampton played previously. Mitchell did some nice things and almost took mark of the carnival in the first quarter but couldn't hang on to the ball

Joyce impressed me again - not so much his disposal but I admire his appetite for the contest being such a lightly built under ager. He actually holds his own over the ball against opponents he's conceding 10+ kilos to

Hill kicked a couple of clever goals but looked like someone had rubbed Vaseline on his hands pregame as he was very fumbly. Dropped a couple of quite simple uncontested chest marks when he was 10 metres in the clear

Oscar Allen had an ok game. Was a touch quiet in the first quarter and looked to be in some trouble after landing awkwardly in a marking contest late in the quarter. I was about to post in here about it as two trainers were helping him from the ground but as he got closer to the boundary started to move a bit more freely. Came back on in the second quarter and was a major influence in WA opening up a lead

Taylor and Naughton were both solid again down back but less so than earlier games. Lot to like about both of them though and Naughton in particular backs himself to attack the ball

Ainsworth didn't have his best game as his disposal let him down

Miller battled hard in the ruck but was undersized. I do like his competitiveness though

Jaxon Cahill off half back had his best game of the series. Sydney Stack had some good moments and will be one to watch next year

For the allies, Crossley was a standout and was arguably BOG. This kid is huge (198cm/105kg) and he looked like a man playing against kids. Looked like a more mobile, better skilled Mumford but had the same aggression/competitive streak. Dominated the ruck and absolutely rag dolled Miller (a solid lump of a lad in his own right) a couple of times in the ruck. When he went forward he looked dangerous and he kicked the first two allies goals

Ballenden had a good game in defence and Sambono showed a few tricks in the third quarter especially as did Hugh Dixon.

Jack Powell was the best of the allies mids but I can't say I noticed too many of theirs as WA generally controlled that area and I was more focused on the WA players to pick out allies players

Must say having not been to U18's games before I've enjoyed just watching young kids having a crack in the hope of earning an AFL career. I also have a new found respect for AFL recruiters as they search for the next generation- some stand out easily but keeping track of all players including what they do off the ball takes some effort

Thanks Hellgood.

Can you elaborate on Ainsworth's game for me

Was pretty good in the midfield being a big contributor to WA comfortably winning the clearance battle (not sure if stats reflect but felt that way). Didn't overly standout but I wouldn't say he hurt his prospects at all as was consistently involved in the game in the thick of the contests. Similarly, didn't mention Patmore in my first post who didn't have a huge game, but impressed me as continually found time and space exiting congested areas and distributed the ball nicely.

I don't see much of the U18 footy any more other than the odd day at the WAFL so can't really claim to know where to expect them to go in the overall scheme of things, but comparisons to previous years would feel that both are draftable with Patmore 2nd-3rd round and Ainsworth anywhere from 3rd to rookie.

Thanks for the reports.

Sounds like Jack Powell will be a certainty for GWS in the draft.

Touted as their best Academy prospect without Brander and Spargo.

Crossley I've only heard good feedback on. Will fit the Suns needs very well.

You'd assume Ballenden is a likely pick up for the Lions. Think Jack Payne will end up there as well.

Thanks for the reports.

Sounds like Jack Powell will be a certainty for GWS in the draft.

Touted as their best Academy prospect without Brander and Spargo.

Crossley I've only heard good feedback on. Will fit the Suns needs very well.

You'd assume Ballenden is a likely pick up for the Lions. Think Jack Payne will end up there as well.
There's a feeling amongst some Brisbane draft watchers that we should not match a bid for Ballenden with either of our two first round picks.

He hasn't shown he's Schache or Boyd good. Or even as good as Tim English or Sam Hayes.

There's a feeling amongst some Brisbane draft watchers that we should not match a bid for Ballenden with either of our two first round picks.

He hasn't shown he's Schache or Boyd good. Or even as good as Tim English or Sam Hayes.

Agree Briz. As a forward he hasn't grabbed hold of a gane yet like Boyd or Schache which would be concerning. Last chance is against Metro in a couple of weeks.

Wouldn't be the first player to get drafted first round after underwhelming at the champs and won't be the last.

As for your first round picks, IF a first round compensation pick is received than I'd imagine that would cover a chunk of points needed.

Where abouts is your 2nd pick at currently?

Thanks ! seems a strange decision though....

He wasn't the only one - they did the same with Richards and Jack Payne - all the team changes for the first 3 rounds are pretty much pre-planned unless injury etc for all the five U18 champs teams. Now they narrow them down to 25 for the final 2 rounds in Vic.

He wasn't the only one - they did the same with Richards and Jack Payne - all the team changes for the first 3 rounds are pretty much pre-planned unless injury etc for all the five U18 champs teams. Now they narrow them down to 25 for the final 2 rounds in Vic.
Thanks for the info !

Remove this Banner Ad

Back