Toast Fremantle's 2nd Rookie Pick: Ryan Nyhuis

Jan 18, 2002
A bay at Rotto
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Rottnest
If you read the articles above, he was 185cm and 78kb, with Freo now listing him at 188cm and 85kg.

Either someone is horribly wrong or he has had a massive growth spurt in the last 6 months (not out of the question).

If he is 188 and 85, it's a fair bet he's still growing, and could end up a very handy size.

Got on the crabs over the off season ?.

Scham

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2004
AFL Club
Fremantle
He played on 98% of the time in his highlights package. Energetic and courageous. Put him on Balla for the match sims and watch the sparks fly!!! Training will draw a crowd like never before.

Well since Meds and Groves used to square off anyway.

Bicco

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 23, 2013
Hobart
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Fremantle, Socceroos
I think his surname is an anglicised spelling of Aonghas which is the Scottish Gaelic spelling of Angus. My father-in- law is from Uist in Scotland and this was the spelling of his name as a child. Sort of pronounced new-iss.

Jezzitizle

Premiership Player
Aug 17, 2009
AFL Club
Fremantle
He thinks quicker than Ibbotson.
Quick and correct choices made by hand and foot
To be fait to ibbo Im sure there are a few more loose targets at neafl level, bit easier.

Until proven otherwise Im going to assume his name is pronounced as a kath and kimesque noooice.

JDC!

Premiership Player
Jan 14, 2005
AFL Club
Richmond
It's definitely pronounced Ny-House. Great pick up, super-dedicated (I think he has hardly touched alcohol in his entire life) and comes from a good family. Can play small or tall and will leave no stone unturned in getting the most out of his football ability.

Crippa

Club Legend
Aug 2, 2012
AFL Club
Fremantle
I think his surname is an anglicised spelling of Aonghas which is the Scottish Gaelic spelling of Angus. My father-in- law is from Uist in Scotland and this was the spelling of his name as a child. Sort of pronounced new-iss.

Fascinating theory Bicco! But the name has more prosaic origins, I think. "Huis" is actually a Dutch word (pronounced "house" in Dutch) meaning "house". And "ny" is probably a shortened respelling of the Dutch word "nieuw" meaning "new". So the name means new-house, and is pronounced "nie-house".

Welcome to your new house, Mr Nyhuis:thumbsu:

Bicco

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 23, 2013
Hobart
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Fremantle, Socceroos
Fascinating theory Bicco! But the name has more prosaic origins, I think. "Huis" is actually a Dutch word (pronounced "house" in Dutch) meaning "house". And "ny" is probably a shortened respelling of the Dutch word "nieuw" meaning "new". So the name means new-house, and is pronounced "nie-house".

That sounds much better! Hopefully everyone has learnt a bit of Scottish Gaelic and Dutch.

yyou

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 18, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
NY Mets, NO Pelicans, Toronto Leafs

If the name means new house,
& in Spanish house = casa, new = nova,
Is he the new Casanova? :)

sherrif

Premiership Player
Dec 7, 2012
AFL Club
Fremantle
With his pace and mobility I think he'll play small. Both Balla and Walters have been closed down by 6'2+ players in the past.

I just watched his highlights again. It seemed when he did most of his spoiling work he was playing on players significantly taller than him. Reminds me a bit of Shane Parker who was an awesome defender for us that excelled at playing on both talls and smalls. There is a run down tackle in the highlights which demonstrated fantastic pace. Highlights can obviously be misleading, but his kicking technique looks blood good too.

Dockernut

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 23, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Sharks. Anyone playing West Coast.
I just watched his highlights again. It seemed when he did most of his spoiling work he was playing on players significantly taller than him. Reminds me a bit of Shane Parker who was an awesome defender for us that excelled at playing on both talls and smalls. There is a run down tackle in the highlights which demonstrated fantastic pace. Highlights can obviously be misleading, but his kicking technique looks blood good too.

Saw Parkes doing repeat bike climbs of Mount street on the weekend. Gave him a Freo shoutout. Still fit as a fiddle by the looks of him.

wayToGo_

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 24, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Basic Stats (WAFL)
Rd 2 - 14 disposals (12 kicks), 4 marks, 1 tackle, 0 goals
Rd 3 - 13 disposals (10 kicks), 5 marks, 0 tackles, 0 goals
Rd 4 - 12 disposals (7 kicks), 2 marks, 2 tackles, 0 goals
Rd 6 - 14 disposals (12 kicks), 3 marks, 0 tackles, 0 goals
Rd 7 - 16 disposals (12 kicks), 9 marks, 3 tackles, 0 goals
Rd 8 - 16 disposals (14 kicks), 3 marks, 0 tackles, 0 goals

Coach's Comments (WAFL)
Rd 2 - First game of league and played on Brett Peake tough day for him but will learn a lot playing on ex-AFL players
Rd 3 - Played half-back on both small and medium sized players and did his job effectively. He continues to grow after his second game.
Rd 4 - Played on the wing and had only 12 touches. He continues to show signs of being a good player at the WAFL level.
Rd 6 - Played halfback and had a solid game. He held his own in one-on-one contests and was composed with the ball when coming out defence.
Rd 7 - Played back pocket against Perth and was reliable in defence. He continues to grow with each game and his use with the ball has been good.
Rd 8 - (N/A yet but was listed in the best players)

Nyhuis seems an ultra dependable back man for a rookie listed player and has some attributes that could become quite useful to Freo:
  • Leadership - captained the NT side in U18s
  • Accountable - defender that is athletic enough to play on both smalls and medium sized forwards
  • One-on-One - had some pretty impressive scalps when playing in the NEAFL (Stephen Milne, Jed Lamb)
  • Interceptor - seems to read the play quite well coming in and manages to position well to intercept or spoil
  • Kicking - has good skills on the rebound
It seems the only real knock on Ryan is his ability to win the ball. He doesn't rack up loads of possessions but he seems to be a relatively good decision maker and has quite a classy kick from what I have seen and heard. With Alex Pearce shoring-up as the key figure to Freo's defensive future and guys like Hughes and Tucker as other prospects, could Nyhuis continue his consistency and development at Peel and earn an upgrade and compete for a place in our back 6 at some point this season?

Kunna17

Club Legend
Oct 9, 2012
AFL Club
Fremantle
could be the kind of player we need to come good given the success mid-sized forwards have had against us. Smalls as well.

Back