List Mgmt. Re-Signing Jake Lever

For the last time, do you think Jake Lever will re-sign with Adelaide?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
How though? He said he wanted to wait for the CBA to be done, it's done now so they've started talks with the club. I reckon you're stretching it a bit.

Don't be naive, they were already talking with the club before the CBA.

The CBA was 99% sorted months ago and they would have had discussions based on the assumption that it would end up as expected.

I personally don't like the idea of paying huge money for potential, can be a really bad idea. I also like the model of flattening out the pay of the squad, rather than having a couple of players maxing out their own contracts at the expense of everyone else.
I think that method might be dead and is certainly hurting our ability to retain younger interstate players who aren't super keen to be in Adelaide, especially when other clubs are more than happy to splash out the cash and give them big deals.

There is no fair market value for a player that applies across the league. Every team has different needs, so different prices they would be willing to pay.

I personally don't like the idea of paying huge money for potential, can be a really bad idea. I also like the model of flattening out the pay of the squad, rather than having a couple of players maxing out their own contracts at the expense of everyone else.

I know it's not the way most of us are feeling, but I think we need McGovern more than we need Lever. Gov has attributes that will make him a weapon in multiple roles imo. I'd like both, but not at the expense of the rest of the squad OR the expense of important opportunities to land players we desperately need.

Having the best 3rd Tall Defender in the league doesn't interest me as much as having the best team in the league.
Exchange value vs use value

Just a thought bubble on Justin Reid - is it the best thing to have an ex player manager as your lead negotiator for the club?

I'd imagine that a player manager can conduct themselves in a manner during the negotiations that a club list manager could not. I'm talking negotiating style.

I imagine player managers can probably be more aggressive, dismissive etc in their style whereas the club negotiator probably needs to be a bit more measured (as the player will be getting feedback from his manager on how the club is negotiating).

Wonder if Justin Reid has had to temper his style in the move to lead negotiator for the club or is he hasn't, if this is causing some of the angst that seems to build through some of these negotiations.

Justin Reid better not screw up our premiership window with his low balling...that tactic is for our overpaid mid range players.

Sounds like Lever has had a big change of view on the club since 2015...was it the finals axing or Walsh passing and subsequent changes of leadership? Just a mercenary for hire now, acting like Chris Gayle or Shaun Tait...no love for the club or playing group.

This is one area Port seem to s**t all over us and it costs us.

I know players deserve a fair pay but trying to extract the highest dollar basically crippled our chance at a flag.

There is no fair market value for a player that applies across the league. Every team has different needs, so different prices they would be willing to pay.

I know it's not the way most of us are feeling, but I think we need McGovern more than we need Lever. Gov has attributes that will make him a weapon in multiple roles imo. I'd like both, but not at the expense of the rest of the squad OR the expense of important opportunities to land players we desperately need.

Having the best 3rd Tall Defender in the league doesn't interest me as much as having the best team in the league.
Debatable Lever/Gov's importance to the Crows, but for us to keep either or both, we have to pay what other clubs are willing to pay regardless of if they are worth more to some clubs than others. It's still their market value whether it's fair or not. We cough it up or they are gone.

Even if we overpay.. the fact is we need to stop our reputation for losing players.

Players will start leaving BECAUSE they expect other players to leave and therefore hurt their premiership chances.

It's been 20 years since we have won a flag. Our present system of payment obviously does not work. We cannot afford to not continue to pay our best top dollar to keep them at the club. We must pay jake enough to keep him Maybe a few older players on the
Edge will need to be offloaded to help pay for his pay packet

Justin Reid better not screw up our premiership window with his low balling...that tactic is for our overpaid mid range players.

Sounds like Lever has had a big change of view on the club since 2015...was it the finals axing or Walsh passing and subsequent changes of leadership? Just a mercenary for hire now, acting like Chris Gayle or Shaun Tait...no love for the club or playing group.

This is one area Port seem to s**t all over us and it costs us.

I know players deserve a fair pay but trying to extract the highest dollar basically crippled our chance at a flag.
One could argue they were the comments of a naive and excitable 18 year old, one who has grown up a bit and now has multi million dollar offers in front of him and a manager who is advising him that careers can be short and to take the best deal available.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Give Mackay away, offer to pay 50% of his salary to whoever takes him so he's actually at market rate. Give Jake an extra 200k!

It's been 20 years since we have won a flag. We cannot afford to not continue to pay our best top dollar to keep them at the club. We must pay jake enough to keep him Maybe a few older players on the
Edge will need to be offloaded to help pay for his pay packet
I do get the sense that we have a bit of a "tenure" system at afc. Would not surprise me if dougie, Thommo and Mackay were on over $1m between them. If the broom needs to go through to free up salary cap then we should plan on low balling / delisting these guys at the first opportunity and replacing them with draftees.

How can we not afford to pay these guys?

Our list isn't full of huge stars. If it's money then we are inept and need a huge broom through list management
My initial guess would be we have a fat middle class where we're paying guys who aren't best 22 more than they're worth. All it takes is to pay 6-8-10 guys an extra 50K-100K-150K than they should be getting and suddenly you've got over a million dollars sucked out of your cap.

How can we not afford to pay these guys?

Our list isn't full of huge stars. If it's money then we are inept and need a huge broom through list management

Playing Devil's Advocate here... one could argue that paying Brad Crouch 500k for 4 and Jenkins 550k for 5, but not having enough to pay Lever, is poor list management.

Let's say we're offering Jake 500k for 4 years. He would look at that and think - that's what you're paying Brad Crouch, an injury-prone underperforming midfielder? I'm younger, have already played nearly 50 games, am a future captain and All Australian. I want more.

And he'd be right.

We pay Mackay and Douglas higher than their worth to "keep them" - even if it's by 50k each - it could cost us players we actually need.

I do get the sense that we have a bit of a "tenure" system at afc. Would not surprise me if dougie, Thommo and Mackay were on over $1m between them. If the broom needs to go through to free up salary cap then we should plan on low balling / delisting these guys at the first opportunity and replacing them with draftees.

I don't see how they could not be.

We know Mackay is on $400k, Dougie would be similar or above. No way Thommo is playing for less than 200k.

Yep & I don't think we want to pay a 21 yo top dollar.

Playing Devil's Advocate here... one could argue that paying Brad Crouch 500k for 4 and Jenkins 550k for 5, but not having enough to pay Lever, is poor list management.

Let's say we're offering Jake 500k for 4 years. He would look at that and think - that's what you're paying Brad Crouch, an injury-prone underperforming midfielder? I'm younger, have already played nearly 50 games, am a future captain and All Australian. I want more.

And he'd be right.
On the flipside, it's pretty presumptuous to be a 50 game player and expect to be paid more than Talia, Eddie, Tex or Sloane.

Lever on 5AA sounded like a clone of w***erfield. Definitely gone as he spins his scripted lines. Just hope this club grows a pair and plays hard ball for once.

My initial guess would be we have a fat middle class where we're paying guys who aren't best 22 more than they're worth. All it takes is to pay 6-8-10 guys an extra 50K-100K-150K than they should be getting and suddenly you've got over a million dollars sucked out of your cap.

Thompson
Mackay
Douglas
Menzel
Seedsman
Cheney

There's six guys who are either redundant or have played limited/no games this season and would be on fairly decent coin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back