Hird To Present Norm Smith Medal at 2017 Grand Final

Remove this Banner Ad

Way too soon.

People forget he tried to *allegedly* kill himself six months ago. Just hope he's alright mentally.

100,000 people booing him is just going to be a new low for all involved

Skipping him and going straight to Hart could possibly have a negative effect on him also.

Honestly, he's a delusional dickhead for even considering accepting. The AFL have given him the chance to respectfully decline the offer, I have no sympathy for him if he gets up there and is jeered.

Way too soon.

People forget he tried to *allegedly* kill himself six months ago. Just hope he's alright mentally.

100,000 people booing him is just going to be a new low for all involved.

Pretty good point, this.

I'm all for second chances and forgiveness but IMO it is too soon after the Essendon debacle. The AFL should have waited a few more years, let the dust settle a little more.

You can just imagine the boos if he accepts the invitation, I think he'll decline.

Booing a man who's suffered serious mental health problems would be a terrible thing for the game.

Anyone promoting the booing of Hird is engaging in mentalism and should be ashamed.
Also points to the part you cut out. The AFL hasn't fully thought out the possible ramifications

What about booing a bloke that oversaw medical experimentation on young blokes under his care?

The bloke is a dog. They could crown him a king and he would still be a dog.
That was a long time ago now. I'm sure Hird has learned from his mistakes and has grown as a human being. It would be so very brave of him to accept this offer and put himself back into the public on such a big stage, and only troglodytes with black hearts would stoop so low as to boo him for it. Could also send an empowering message for those suffering from mental health issues that recovery is possible.

It would be an honour for any player to receive an award from one of the AFL's greatest ever players.

Last edited:
Booing a man who's suffered serious mental health problems would be a terrible thing for the game.

Anyone promoting the booing of Hird is engaging in mentalism and should be ashamed.

Boo the dodgy *er. Boo him good.

Good point. I look forward to seeing O.J at the Heisman presentation next year upon his release

If you are seriously comparing James Hird with OJ Simpson you need to get your head checked.

James Hird's only crime in my eyes is not seeing the writing on the wall when the world was out to get him.

No positive drug test for any banned substance from any player just a missing invoice.

Sure it wasn't a great look but to call it systematic doping is too long a bow.

I will be holding any booers on GF day to account.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you are seriously comparing James Hird with OJ Simpson you need to get your head checked.

James Hird's only crime in my eyes is not seeing the writing on the wall when the world was out to get him.

No positive drug test for any banned substance from any player just a missing invoice.

Not sure if serious

That was a long time ago now. I'm sure Hird has learned from his mistakes and has grown as a human being. It would be so very brave of him to accept this offer and put himself back into the public on such a big stage, and only troglodytes with black hearts would stoop so low as to boo him for it. Could also send a great message for those suffering from mental health issues that recovery is possible.

It would be an honour for any player to receive an award from one of the AFL's greatest ever players.
I'd say the troglodyte here would be the guy who allowed players under his welfare to be injected with unknown substances which could have long term side effects, but I digress, should be interesting to see the broader AFL supporters reactions to this.

EDIT: Just noticed the great man himself Chief liked my earlier post.
b733e706e7ce01fc53c38769216f6f9b.jpg

I used to really like Hird as a player. As a player he is one of my all time favourites. As a player.

As a person and a coach he is a ******* disgrace to football.

He used his players as pin cushions, he is a dog.

Next year we going to have Wayne Carey present the medal?

Really really stupid from the AFL, he'll get booed.

Hird was a competitive animal as a player but is also a really good person off the field. imo he had no intentions to inject players with banned substances to get an advantage he like the rest of the club were blinded by Danks dirty dealings imo.

Oh get ****ed. Just get ****ed.

Playing the mental health card to try and guilt people is so damn pathetic. Its offensive too.

AFL have always been pathetic on this issue, from their "warnings" to Essendon, to the tip off, to their leniency (only ever penalising them for "governance" issues), to calling sponsors etc etc.

This just shows they haven't learned and they haven't changed.

He will be booed, and it will be entirely appropriate.

Also points to the part you cut out. The AFL hasn't fully thought out the possible ramifications
James is a brave man. If he accepts this offer he will be doing so with the knowledge that a lot of football supporters are drunken, lowlife buffoons who would boo a man who's been through so much pain and hardship. He will still get up on that stage and fulfill his duties regardless of the haters.

If he's boo'd it will be more of a reflection on those in attendance than Hird himself. To forgive is divine.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back