Past #2: Leigh Colbert

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
This bloke deserves his place in the halls of the greats.

THE MOST COURAGEOUS ACT I'VE SEEN: KING

BY SEN 2 HOURS AGO

Former North Melbourne premiership star David King rates an incident involving former teammate Leigh Colbert as the most courageous act he’s seen on the football field.
GettyImages-53101064.jpg

After missing nine weeks following surgery to drain blood off his pancreas following a brutal hit in 2003 against Richmond – ironically it was friendly fire from King – Colbert returned to the field for North Melbourne’s Round 20 match against Hawthorn.

“When Colby came back we played Hawthorn and his first act of that game was to run back with the flight of the ball, at full speed, and go up to take a high chest mark in which he left so much of his upper body exposed,” King told SEN’s The Run Home.

“Jade Rawlings could have killed him.

“It was the most inspirational thing that I have seen on a football field. It was unbelievable.”

Across a decorated career that spanned 241 games and two premierships, King played with some of the game’s toughest competitors, including Glenn Archer, Anthony Stevens and Wayne Carey.

But it was Colbert’s bravery to put his body on the line immediately after returning from a serious internal injury that required surgery that sticks in the footy analyst’s mind.

Colbert played 209 games for Geelong and North Melbourne before retiring in 2005. He is currently working as an airline pilot.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2017/07/12/king-comes-into-bat-for-north-over-scott/

• Banned
There was no malice in the way he went about it, he just went hammer and tongs and if he was wide open, so be it.

I saw a game v Sydney where he K.O'd 2 Sydney players in separate contests and then knocked himself out later in another contest.

The video in the O.P. should be compulsory viewing for every draftee and trade that walks in the door on Day 1.

Last edited:

Weird career. Projected as a tall mid/utility, ended up a rock solid CHB.

Have my own feelings on the damaging cost his trade had to the club for eons after but that wasn't his fault. Gave everything in his time at North.

He provided a fair bit of stability and leadership around the club during "the troubles".

Colby was one of my favourites! Thanks for posting the link, giantroo!

2. Leigh Colbert - harder than ***
. Lost half his liver in friendly fire
. Played again
. Can fly a plane

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back