Player Watch #4: Dustin Martin

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it just me or is it that everyone external to the club thinks we do not have room in our salary cap.

• Two years ago we offered Trelol 750K per season (Meaning we had the funds available). That money was not used until the following year with Dion (650-700k per season).
  • We now lose Lids off our books next year. (Assuming we were paying half of 600k) 300k.
  • We didn't retain Tyrone which we were paying in the 450k area ( $$ Gone to Caddy)
  • We now do not need to pay Yarran 450k.
  • Ivy is retiring 250K (Lets be conservative and say he signed a smaller contract at the end of last year)
  • + potential de-listings
Obviously in this time we have signed players to new contracts most likely to higher wage (eg Rioli). I'd Estimate that we have around $1m per season free as of the start of the next year. Add in the 20% players agreement that's over $3m per season to spend. Some contracts will auto increase due to the players agreement but id expect the club to use around 70% to retain and 30% to chase players.

That's why im not worried that we cant pay Dustin an extra $500k-800k per season.

The amusing bit about it all is that Norf are offering big money - that's one thing.

It's another to try and pretty it up and say that Norf is a destination club.

They have one of (if not the) lowest supporter numbers in Victoria, are propped up by the AFL, are target number 1 as far as relocation or folding is concerned.

They even tried to suggest that they have gun father sons on the way. Everyone knows that with Father Son you really only get a 20% discount. It's no golden ticket like it once was.

Look at the older players that are currently in their best 22 and their ages.

Waite - 34
Higgins - 29
Hansen - 29
Swallow - 30
Thomas - 29
Thompson - 31
Goldstein - 29
Gibson - 31

8 players that will be 30 or over next year. They're royally screwed if you ask me. No wonder they are going to have cap space!
Why a player would choose to go there for anything other than $ is beyond me.

Now the above facts paint a slight less pretty picture than what the HS article did wouldn't you say?

#lolnorf board thinks getting Dusty and Kelly will immediately make them Premiership contenders. lol.

if dusty goes to #lolnorf he will require shoulder surgery by the end of his first season there.

1 man can only carry so many pieces of deadwood.

The amusing bit about it all is that Norf are offering big money - that's one thing.

It's another to try and pretty it up and say that Norf is a destination club.

They have one of (if not the) lowest supporter numbers in Victoria, are propped up by the AFL, are target number 1 as far as relocation or folding is concerned.

They even tried to suggest that they have gun father sons on the way. Everyone knows that with Father Son you really only get a 20% discount. It's no golden ticket like it once was.

Look at the older players that are currently in their best 22 and their ages.

Waite - 34
Higgins - 29
Hansen - 29
Swallow - 30
Thomas - 29
Thompson - 31
Goldstein - 29
Gibson - 31

8 players that will be 30 or over next year. They're royally screwed if you ask me. No wonder they are going to have cap space!
Why a player would choose to go there for anything other than $ is beyond me.

Now the above facts paint a slight less pretty picture than what the HS article did wouldn't you say?
Both LOLNorf 2018 father sons prospects - Nick Blakey and Bailey Scott are eligible to nominate for 2 other clubs - Blakey with Brisbane / Sydney and Scott with Brisbane / Geelong. Good chance they won't get either of them.

We never had a rivalry with this club,they created it after we pantsed em way back in 1974.

The grand final where the whole world was baying for Richmond to lose,playing their grand finals.

Sick of minnow clubs playing their grand finals with us.

Both LOLNorf 2018 father sons prospects - Nick Blakey and Bailey Scott are eligible to nominate for 2 other clubs - Blakey with Brisbane / Sydney and Scott with Brisbane / Geelong. Good chance they won't get either of them.
Ouch. I would not be surprised if both those kids pick Sydney and Geelong. Those clubs know how to stay on top.

Ouch. I would not be surprised if both those kids pick Sydney and Geelong. Those clubs know how to stay on top.
Blakey has been a assistant at Sydney fir years so I assume his son has also lived in Sydney most his life.
This is one occasion I hope they get a academy gun just to #lolnorf

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is it just me or is it that everyone external to the club thinks we do not have room in our salary cap.

• Two years ago we offered Trelol 750K per season (Meaning we had the funds available). That money was not used until the following year with Dion (650-700k per season).
  • We now lose Lids off our books next year. (Assuming we were paying half of 600k) 300k.
  • We didn't retain Tyrone which we were paying in the 450k area ( $$ Gone to Caddy)
  • We now do not need to pay Yarran 450k.
  • Ivy is retiring 250K (Lets be conservative and say he signed a smaller contract at the end of last year)
  • + potential de-listings
Obviously in this time we have signed players to new contracts most likely to higher wage (eg Rioli). I'd Estimate that we have around $1m per season free as of the start of the next year. Add in the 20% players agreement that's over $3m per season to spend. Some contracts will auto increase due to the players agreement but id expect the club to use around 70% to retain and 30% to chase players.

That's why im not worried that we cant pay Dustin an extra $500k-800k per season.

We still have other second tier players we need to pay too, Grimes, Astbury, Ellis.

It marks sense that Norf have the cap space as there's literally no one on their list deserving of anything near 500k per year.

North has cornered themselves here. It's all well and good to go down media street and let this stuff get out, however, if they land neither player, they are going to look very stupid and damage the brand.

Sent from my iPad using righteous man power

We still have other second tier players we need to pay too, Grimes, Astbury, Ellis.

It marks sense that Norf have the cap space as there's literally no one on their list deserving of anything near 500k per year.
Goldy would be on 700K+ but expect Norf will try to shop him during the trade period. They missed the boat last year when not trading him when he had currency. He would only worth a third rounder given his age, form and price tag.

If he goes to Nth then he is a gun for hire and goes to highest bidder. Good luck to him. Means some other club can worry about trying to keep him when the bigger offers flow in.
I just dont see it happening.

Goldy would be on 700K+ but expect Norf will try to shop him during the trade period. They missed the boat last year when not trading him when he had currency. He would only worth a third rounder given his age, form and price tag.

The likes of swallow, Higgins, zieball, goldy etc would all be well over that as they still need to pay 95% of tpp. They have the space for both plays, game on but if we're talking 1.6 for dusty then I'd unhappily bid him adieu.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back