List Mgmt. Trade & F.A. 2017 (if a scenario sounds wrong - read on before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know this is a bit radical, but I just think we should put a $600-700k offer in front of both/either of Charlie Curnow or Harry McKay. Carlton want our first pick? Yea no worries. It's not like there's elite KPP talent in our draft range anyways.
Also, next time they come out of contract Carlton would have to pay up.
The only downfall I see is our current players being pissed because a young newbie has come in and is probably earning more than 75% of the list.
But if that's what it's gonna take to get a KPF in, so be it.
If Charlie Curnow is gettable then what are we waiting for?? I'd give up this years 1st and next years 2nd if the rules allow it...he's going to be an absolute gun.

If Charlie Curnow is gettable then what are we waiting for?? I'd give up this years 1st and next years 2nd if the rules allow it...he's going to be an absolute gun.
He's not gettable.

What about a bloke from this week's mob? Harrison Wigg. Elite disposal usage as an under-18, plays of half back. Averaged 19 disposals at 81% efficiency and his kicking accuracy has been likened to Matt Suckling and Sam Mitchell (he's even about the same size as Sammy) with his ability to make the right decision and then execute it. For some reason can't get a gig in the crows side despite being one their best week in week out in the SANFL. Averages 20+ possessions in the 2's, uses the ball really well and rarely turns it over, would a late pick get him to the pies? Could he be the set up type player we've been crying out for in the back half of the ground?

Height and speed are important in the back half. He isn't tall. Does he have speed? Can he defend?

Would love to see us throw a few bob at Nick Riewoldt if he and the Saints decide retirement is best option for both parties.

Get him over on a Sam Mitchell/Dermott Brereton-like deal. Expect 10-12 games out of him and his dodgy knee. Let him be a forward line coach, make sure he doesn't travel. Let him tutor Darcy every week on and off the field.

I don't think there'd be much chance - I think he'd rather retire a one-club man, but one of the key ingredients that I think we really lack is leadership - especially in the forward line - he'd be invaluable for a season as a wise head and extra forward line depth.

I really don't want to see a Darcy dick pic.

Pick up Vickery from Hawks and we won't need to tank in order to get the first pick in the next few drafts.

Our first this year and second next year for Jack Billings and Josh Bruce!?

Done done.

I would actually do that, becoming more and more keen on Bruce, doesn't seem appreciated at Stkilda.

I would actually do that, becoming more and more keen on Bruce, doesn't seem appreciated at Stkilda.

They're about to retire Reiwoldt so they can play Bruce and McCartin. I think Bruce is a pipe dream. Although i'd love to have him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They've also got Battle and Membrey, or are they different again? Can't say I know too much about their list.

Membrey is your classic third tall type. A very good one. Battle is an undersized key forward who is a few years away from having an impact if he develops.

I genuinely think Sam Weideman is a good option. Only because he's your typical young KPF who can't get a game though being in the system for 2 years now. Guarantee the kid a game. He's not gonna get a game over Hogan, Watts or even Pederson ATM. Could get away with a second round pick even.
Weideman, Moore, Daicos, Brown, some legendary Collingwood names right there.

Everyone is gettable at the right price. At the end of the day there is a level of ego that rules the world and then there are player managers that get a percentage of the players salary who have influence on the direction there client takes.

We would have to pay significant overs for this to occur and would need to be comfortable with projecting long term but IMO he is gettable.
Tom Boyd is just one example of how money can change a players opinion of there current situation.

What are they slinging back to us? Our first is too much, but if they can provide some reasonable value coming back I'm on board. I also think they'd prefer a player when they already have 2 top 10 picks?

Everyone is gettable at the right price. At the end of the day there is a level of ego that rules the world and then there are player managers that get a percentage of the players salary who have influence on the direction there client takes.

We would have to pay significant overs for this to occur and would need to be comfortable with projecting long term but IMO he is gettable.
Tom Boyd is just one example of how money can change a players opinion of there current situation.

Whilst the bolded is 100% accurate I'm certain you aren't going to be convincing Rob that Curnow is gettable with that reasoning!

IMO, we missed the boat with him when we traded for AT. As someone that was super keen on Charlie at draft time I'll watch in envy as his career progresses, but be content enough with AT.

We need to trade out some of our excess midfielders who have trade currency based on both their name and what they have done. We should be prepared to trade anybody (with the exception of our young players (i.e. De Goey, Maynard, Moore who will lead us to our next premiership).

We have an over infatuation with our players and significantly overestimate their abilities.

“We should not be afraid of losing a big name player, or players that have played well over the past few years" if it is going to improve our list in the medium to long term. Not on recycled players who are coming to the endd of the careers or who cannot get a game at their current club.

We keep naming players that we should target for a trade from other clubs who are not world beaters at their current club or who are languishing in the VFL. If they cannot get a game with their current club, how are they going to improve ours?.

Our current strategy of recruiting middle class or grunt midfielders but with disposal deficiencies has not worked.

Tom Boyd was always leaving GWS, be it at the end of his first year or the end of his first contract. The money was just a bonus for him.

We aren't going to shift Curnow when he's playing for a team in his home state, with his brother. His is literally the definition of a situation where he'll be happy to take slightly unders to stay where he is. If you think you can budge him from Carlton you're in fantasy land.

I genuinely think Sam Weideman is a good option. Only because he's your typical young KPF who can't get a game though being in the system for 2 years now. Guarantee the kid a game. He's not gonna get a game over Hogan, Watts or even Pederson ATM. Could get away with a second round pick even.
Hogan until last week had been out for 6 weeks, Watts had been injured and Pedersen was playing ruck and still Weideman could not get a game. Why would we guarantee Weideman a game? and based on what? He hasn't done anything of note in the VFL to warrant a recall.

He has averaaged 3 kicks a game in his 9 games. earlier this year he ssigned a contract extension until the end of 2019.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back