Draft Watcher Knightmare's 2017 Draft Almanac

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've seen plenty of young Tom Berry here, kid's as hard as a cat's head and never, ever takes a backward step just like his brother Jarrod....though just like pre-draft 2016 I still think you underrated Jarrod then, and still do. The reason you may have underrated Jarrod might be because you were unaware he virtually had no pre-season recovering from surgery and then had some injury issues early in the season and never really got going until late in the year.

I was always confident Jarrod would play AFL midfield even though he had limited exposure in his draft year due to fitness and injury, late in the season he played several games in the midfield and absolutely killed it. Very significant that he's played the majority of the season for Brisbane in the midfield and 2 weeks ago Chris Fagan gave him the job on Joel Selwood who he restricted so well that the Coach rapped his shut down job in the after match presser.

I'd also strongly disagree on Tom being more athletic, Jarrod would have him covered there and whilst he may have better all round foot skills he certainly doesn't have the penetrating long kick Jarrod possesses. Like you I think Tom is very talented and has all the requisites to play AFL midfield...the standout quality being his hardness in the contest.
We have the father sons, all the Lions need now is the brothers rule.;)

Doubt we'd use an early draft pick on a Ruckman personally, much sooner look at later rounds/rookie guys like a local lad here GWV Rebel Lloyd Meek who's a competent Ruck, reasonably agile for a big lad, covers the ground well and most importantly for a big bloke has good foot skills or even a more speculative Western Jet's Tristan Xerri. Not sure we'll be taking our 2017 1st pick to the draft if we're still into Bryce Gibbs either and all the less speculative big men will be off the board by our 2nd. What could change all that is if Lever and/or McGovern decide to not re-sign.

Thoughts Knightmare
Thanks Bicks, hadn't heard of these 2 but they don't sound bad. I agree on the first rounder as well, but do think it's time the recruiting team put some stock in a long term Sauce replacement whether in the draft or Rookie draft. If OBrien's having back problems now that could be a bad sign for the future. Plus with a few good years left in Sauce I don't like the idea of bringing in a vet, perfect amount of time to groom a young tall in the SANFL

There seems to be a real rush of players coming onto the draft scene atm. Lachie Young from the stingrays is one that I saw play senior footy for Pines on the weekend. Was named BOG and liked some of his Ray Games. At 190cm is he a chance to be a rookie? Also when do the state combines come out?

I've seen plenty of young Tom Berry here, kid's as hard as a cat's head and never, ever takes a backward step just like his brother Jarrod....though just like pre-draft 2016 I still think you underrated Jarrod then, and still do. The reason you may have underrated Jarrod might be because you were unaware he virtually had no pre-season recovering from surgery and then had some injury issues early in the season and never really got going until late in the year.

I was always confident Jarrod would play AFL midfield even though he had limited exposure in his draft year due to fitness and injury, late in the season he played several games in the midfield and absolutely killed it. Very significant that he's played the majority of the season for Brisbane in the midfield and 2 weeks ago Chris Fagan gave him the job on Joel Selwood who he restricted so well that the Coach rapped his shut down job in the after match presser.

I'd also strongly disagree on Tom being more athletic, Jarrod would have him covered there and whilst he may have better all round foot skills he certainly doesn't have the penetrating long kick Jarrod possesses. Like you I think Tom is very talented and has all the requisites to play AFL midfield...the standout quality being his hardness in the contest.
Isn't Jarrod taller too? I think what will define Jarrod as an AFL mid will be his substantial frame in addition to his sublime mobility/evasiveness

Jarrod is a good athlete. You won't have me debating that.

Tom just gets around guys even easier offensively.

Some guys are quick and athletic. Some are quick with the ball. Tom has that with ball in hand, which Jarrod has some of, but not nearly as convincingly.

Jarrod is AFL grade. I'm not seeing the same star talent from him though. He seems more like a generally good player.

Early days though. All speculative.

Footskills I'm backing Tom in. Penetration I'll concede, but consistently, reliability and decision making Tom has him covered.

We're talking minor differences overall for the same stage. They're in the same conversation and Jarrod is going very well. I just slightly favour Tom.

Knightmare what do you think the chances of Ian Milera getting picked up as an overager? Has put in some really good games at SANFL level and is only 19.

Chance. Probably a rookie if chosen. But going ok.

There seems to be a real rush of players coming onto the draft scene atm. Lachie Young from the stingrays is one that I saw play senior footy for Pines on the weekend. Was named BOG and liked some of his Ray Games. At 190cm is he a chance to be a rookie? Also when do the state combines come out?

Still probably an outside chance I would have thought, but there's still plenty of footy to be played.

Isn't Jarrod taller too? I think what will define Jarrod as an AFL mid will be his substantial frame in addition to his sublime mobility/evasiveness
Not sure Tom has quite got Jarrod's tank either....Jarrod's endurance was always elite as was shown by winning the Combine 3km run quite easily, that after missing a good block of training leading up to the Combine when he received a severe kidney knock early in the 1st Final and ended up in Box Hill Hospital for several days. Still think if Jarrod had been available for the remaining Finals with his on field leadership the Rebels would have gone a lot further in the 2016 TAC finals.

With Forgarty out for the remainder of the year what range do you think he'll be drafted in? Is he still likely to go top 5?

With Forgarty out for the remainder of the year what range do you think he'll be drafted in? Is he still likely to go top 5?

It's possible, but I think he's more top 10 than top 5 now.

Clearer word on where clubs view him will come out closer to the draft, but that's more where I view him anyway, at this point.

It's possible, but I think he's more top 10 than top 5 now.

Clearer word on where clubs view him will come out closer to the draft, but that's more where I view him anyway, at this point.
Lachlan Pascoe who you've rated highly previously also did an ACL a couple of weeks ago do you think he'll still get picked up?

Lachlan Pascoe who you've rated highly previously also did an ACL a couple of weeks ago do you think he'll still get picked up?

I'd like to see him get a chance. On performance, even with the ACL, I'd take him as a rookie.

Unclear what clubs are thinking though.

If they've nominated and were accepted for the Draft Camp and got injured, surely they'd allocate vacancies rather than be 2-3 short.

Also, haven't heard a thing for a long time about Ameduri, Jaimon Alone, Isaac Morrisby, Matthew Zukiewicz, Jakeb Shine and Reid Gordon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

http://www.espn.com.au/afl/story/_/...gives-complete-club-club-afl-draft-assessment

You don't see West Coast as needing midfielders?

I'd rather we go for someone like Coffield if he was available at our 1st pick.

Tyler Kietel http://www.wafl.com.au/players/view/4904
Is he on the radar to be picked up?

What do you think we'd have to give up for Mitch McGovern if we were to trade for him?

Midfielders short term are not a pressing need (depends on whether WCE are in win-now mode next season with Nic Nat back). Long term, absolutely.

Coffield mid first round is a solid choice and is worth consideration.

Keitel is probably the better state league KPP. He's worth considering.

Mitch McGovern's value is unclear for a few reasons. At 22, 23 before the end of the year you're expecting fully developed players. Has missed time. Late getting drafted so there may be further scope to develop. Probably a pick early-mid second round feels around the right price for a handy tall who can slot straight into a best 22.

I
Midfielders short term are not a pressing need (depends on whether WCE are in win-now mode next season with Nic Nat back). Long term, absolutely.

Coffield mid first round is a solid choice and is worth consideration.

Keitel is probably the better state league KPP. He's worth considering.

Mitch McGovern's value is unclear for a few reasons. At 22, 23 before the end of the year you're expecting fully developed players. Has missed time. Late getting drafted so there may be further scope to develop. Probably a pick early-mid second round feels around the right price for a handy tall who can slot straight into a best 22.
agree with KPF but IMO we are going to be rebuilding at seasons end (12 players rumoured to be cut) and we will probably pick some midfield talent and possibly a couple of KPP's. where do you see Oscar Allen going? He rekons his got a few cm's of growth left in him, say he gets to 195cm marks, do you see clubs having more interest in him?

I

agree with KPF but IMO we are going to be rebuilding at seasons end (12 players rumoured to be cut) and we will probably pick some midfield talent and possibly a couple of KPP's. where do you see Oscar Allen going? He rekons his got a few cm's of growth left in him, say he gets to 195cm marks, do you see clubs having more interest in him?
Allen at 195cm with his leading patterns and hands is very interesting in the mid to late first round.

Not sure if i agree with your assessment of Fremantles needs. We have a lot of young backs in Alex Pearce, Hamling is only 24, Just drafted Logue and Cox so there is so manyw e can have. As for ruckman obviously Sean Darcy seems to be coming along nicely and we also have the rookie listed Luke Strnadica who is starting to fins his feet a bit, at Reserves level. I think Freo will definitely be on the hunt for either Fogarty or Brander as that forward target. Short of that if there isn't a forward available Freo have showed in the past they will just take best available.

What are your thoughts about Hayes? can he be a forward ruck or is he more of just a ruckman at this stage?

I

Rumours suggest that Oscar Allen may sneak into the tail-end of the first round.

If he grows to 195cm that would help his chances considerably.

Not sure if i agree with your assessment of Fremantles needs. We have a lot of young backs in Alex Pearce, Hamling is only 24, Just drafted Logue and Cox so there is so manyw e can have. As for ruckman obviously Sean Darcy seems to be coming along nicely and we also have the rookie listed Luke Strnadica who is starting to fins his feet a bit, at Reserves level. I think Freo will definitely be on the hunt for either Fogarty or Brander as that forward target. Short of that if there isn't a forward available Freo have showed in the past they will just take best available.

What are your thoughts about Hayes? can he be a forward ruck or is he more of just a ruckman at this stage?

Sean Darcy after my piece has kicked on and a young ruckman is as a result no longer a need for next year.

Key forward is looking like the obvious need.

Interesting one in this draft is Spargo his elite and i think could be the bargin... thoughts

Interesting one in this draft is Spargo his elite and i think could be the bargin... thoughts

Opinions are divided on Spargo. Some really like his game and view him as a first round choice.

I'm not one of them. He's quick, and win the ball and find enough of it.

Skills are poor and not what I expect of a small midfielder.

He's one I'd let someone else draft.

Jarrod is going to be very good player. You can build a midfield around him in time I think. Tall, fast, natural footballer that goes in hard. Reminds me of Voss in a way even down to the natural leadership they both have. Wouldn't trade Berry for anyone.

Jarrod is going to be very good player. You can build a midfield around him in time I think. Tall, fast, natural footballer that goes in hard. Reminds me of Voss in a way even down to the natural leadership they both have. Wouldn't trade Berry for anyone.

My expectations obviously are no so high. He's clear best 22 for Brisbane and may in time become a best 10 on list player as his potential upside.

He doesn't look to be to be a franchise piece, but I'll be more than happy if he proves me wrong there, as I love seeing stars develop in the AFL, regardless of how high I was on them as juniors or otherwise.

Hey KM. Thoughts on Will Walker?
Got a national combine invite and took the piss up forward against the Jets today.

Was a level above everyone on the ground bar Trusler and McLean.

What's his ceiling?

I like Will Walker's game.

Really strong contested ball winner. 3 goals is a great return and adds value.

For me, he has AFL potential as a midfielder who can rest forward and is inside my top 40 and edging close to top 30.

Hey KM,

If there is no truly compelling KPF/KPD option for the Pies at 6, would there be consideration to:-

1. Trade down for 2 later picks such as Richmond 16 & 17 (we may need to chuck in something else). This may get us a Naughton and another decent flanker instead of just the one player at 6. I wish we still had our second rounder. Or,

2. Given strength of next years draft, swap it for a future first rounder?

What do you think the Pies will do and should do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back