EDFL Division 1 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Few injuries down at Sewell Reserve
Wont matter Tragic Roys to get the job done this week. Windsides first finals campaign wont last long Roys v Tulla GF IMO the result will be a toss of the coin. If in fact this happens the same question will be asked could Tulla or the Roys survive at the top level? Bloody tough ask for all Div 1 clubs to make the big transition

On SM-G935F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Wont matter Tragic Roys to get the job done this week. Windsides first finals campaign wont last long Roys v Tulla GF IMO the result will be a toss of the coin. If in fact this happens the same question will be asked could Tulla or the Roys survive at the top level? Bloody tough ask for all Div 1 clubs to make the big transition

On SM-G935F using BigFooty.com mobile app
I think they would beat Craigieburn and could push Douttas at the moment but that is about it.

I think they would beat Craigieburn and could push Douttas at the moment but that is about it.
Most teams could be craigieburn not EDS. problem is craigieburn won't be there next. No side will have the ability to stay up next season. Divy 1 has dropped off this season quite a lot from previous years.

Most teams could be craigieburn not EDS. problem is craigieburn won't be there next. No side will have the ability to stay up next season. Divy 1 has dropped off this season quite a lot from previous years.
Not sure it's dropped of at all, only difference is that there's not a lock for the flag as in previous years. You'd have to say that HS ,TM and Glenroys 2017 sides would beat thier 2016 side

Go watch some games. Have a look at Cb team last week 15 players under 21 all played junior football at CB.

Go watch some games. Have a look at Cb team last week 15 players under 21 all played junior football at CB.
I watched craigieburn last week. They were terrible. If it wasn't for the wind they would have lost by 200 points. Good on them for playing 15 juniors. That's only because they have nothing else. Only 3 players left from their premiership side with Kite playing 2nds

Not sure it's dropped of at all, only difference is that there's not a lock for the flag as in previous years. You'd have to say that HS ,TM and Glenroys 2017 sides would beat thier 2016 side
I'll give you Glenroy would beat 2016 side, but both HS and Tulla wouldn't beat last years team. The standard of footy has dropped this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I watched craigieburn last week. They were terrible. If it wasn't for the wind they would have lost by 200 points. Good on them for playing 15 juniors. That's only because they have nothing else. Only 3 players left from their premiership side with Kite playing 2nds
There were 8 or 9 premiership players last week which is not many but yep the rest are pretty much all kids. I agree with swans, unless a current premier div side has a big walkout after this year any side promoted up will only be there the one year. Gap between divisions is huge, bigger than ever.

Billyblogs I respectfully disagree with you.
This division has dropped in standard quite a bit from last year and years previous. Who are the forwards that are able to replace A.Scott and Doyle? Prior to that Tulla had Pretty, Mangan and Kent. I do agree it's a team that plays for each other but just because it is an even competition doesn't mean the standard hasn't dropped.
IMO Glenroy, EK, Hillside, TL have improved from last year but they weren't playing finals.

There were 8 or 9 premiership players last week which is not many but yep the rest are pretty much all kids. I agree with swans, unless a current premier div side has a big walkout after this year any side promoted up will only be there the one year. Gap between divisions is huge, bigger than ever.
I stand corrected. After looking at the squad you are right there were 8 or 9.

Billyblogs I respectfully disagree with you.
This division has dropped in standard quite a bit from last year and years previous. Who are the forwards that are able to replace A.Scott and Doyle? Prior to that Tulla had Pretty, Mangan and Kent. I do agree it's a team that plays for each other but just because it is an even competition doesn't mean the standard hasn't dropped.
IMO Glenroy, EK, Hillside, TL have improved from last year but they weren't playing finals.

Scott and Doyle hardly played last year!
I've only seen 3-4 games
But as far as blokes who didn't play last year
-2 forwards 50+ between them
-Mid - probably leading BnF
-Back - as good as any in the comp
-Smith
-Allan
All under 22 I'd guess bar smith/Allan
I'd say every team has improved excluding WM

Craigieburn's 2016 team was pretty good for div1 and they had a reasonable base but the wheels fell off. They appear to only be a div1 club and like to be a bully rather than take on the challenge of playing premier. Dropped the ball big time..interesting if they can recover!

Craigieburn div1 of 2016 would beat all the 2017 current div1 sides IMO. Remember they had Cloke's, Page, Young etc.

Glenroy keen to move up but would need easily 6-10 consistent premier standard players with 4-5 of these expected to be quality. They rely on Dulic to lead them and at premier level would need some newer leader types. Someone like Winter could win them a flag in div1 but won't be playing premier. His done his time playing in the top level and was bloody good on his day..

Hillside definitely have the best young talent in div1 which gives them the base to build from, but would also need 6-10 players as per above. Need to recruit some experience and polish through the midfield and a few key position players especially down back.

Getting 8-10 players in also keeps your reserves strong as long as you can hold the majority of your players. That's also important..

Tulla would be worse than Craigieburn of 2017 if they went up in 2018. They don't have the foundations but good luck to them as they always fight on against the odds..

To me no others from div1 can win it..

Link Robinson 25 goals (2 goals a game average) next best is Caleb and Becker on 16 =41. Hadfield gone backwards, OP haven't been great given they were a kick off a gf last year, Airport West hard to judge but now struggling to beat most teams coming down from A Grade.
In my opinion the gap between A and B Grade has never been bigger.

Craigieburn's 2016 team was pretty good for div1 and they had a reasonable base but the wheels fell off. They appear to only be a div1 club and like to be a bully rather than take on the challenge of playing premier. Dropped the ball big time..interesting if they can recover!

Craigieburn div1 of 2016 would beat all the 2017 current div1 sides IMO. Remember they had Cloke's, Page, Young etc.

Glenroy keen to move up but would need easily 6-10 consistent premier standard players with 4-5 of these expected to be quality. They rely on Dulic to lead them and at premier level would need some newer leader types. Someone like Winter could win them a flag in div1 but won't be playing premier. His done his time playing in the top level and was bloody good on his day..

Hillside definitely have the best young talent in div1 which gives them the base to build from, but would also need 6-10 players as per above. Need to recruit some experience and polish through the midfield and a few key position players especially down back.

Getting 8-10 players in also keeps your reserves strong as long as you can hold the majority of your players. That's also important..

Tulla would be worse than Craigieburn of 2017 if they went up in 2018. They don't have the foundations but good luck to them as they always fight on against the odds..

To me no others from div1 can win it..
Turbo I can't see how any of the above teams would be able to get in 6-10 class players to be competitive in Premier. Even allowing for some high pointers leaving and natural attrition I couldn't see them staying under the points cap.

Tulla and Hillside played at 39 and 43 points respectively on the weekend, and Glenroy at 45 points the week before. I reckon under the points system the odds are really stacked against any team coming up from Division 1 to Premier division.

I can see the promoted team copping the same sort of hidings Craigeburn have endured this year, and boomeranging straight back down again.

Link Robinson 25 goals (2 goals a game average) next best is Caleb and Becker on 16 =41. Hadfield gone backwards, OP haven't been great given they were a kick off a gf last year, Airport West hard to judge but now struggling to beat most teams coming down from A Grade.
In my opinion the gap between A and B Grade has never been bigger.
Agree the gap is massive

Turbo I can't see how any of the above teams would be able to get in 6-10 class players to be competitive in Premier. Even allowing for some high pointers leaving and natural attrition I couldn't see them staying under the points cap.

Tulla and Hillside played at 39 and 43 points respectively on the weekend, and Glenroy at 45 points the week before. I reckon under the points system the odds are really stacked against any team coming up from Division 1 to Premier division.

I can see the promoted team copping the same sort of hidings Craigeburn have endured this year, and boomeranging straight back down again.

Hey Stax, yes agree it's not going to be easy and I personally think they should be allocated more points when coming up but they also won't be able to afford to get 8-10. It's important to recruit smartly and I think any club going up must get a football manager in straight away or a high profile coach willing to do the work and who has experience dealing with sides promoted. Won't be easy but need to get on the front foot and chase someone hard. Pay them some decent money as it will be money well spent.

With the collapse of the VFL development league , it means there's over 350 quality footballers looking for homes. Surely this is a great chance for any side , including sides coming up a div , to add to there lists.
A side coming up , gets a higher salary cap , so maybe a chance to grab 5-6 quality footballers & dramatically change their lists , to be very competitive.

Agree the gap is massive
My theory is that Glenroy and Hillside are top 2. Would those two side beat Westy and OP from last year.
I'm saying that neither team gets close to OP, maybe Hillside beats Westy but it's a 50-50 contest. Glenroy would struggle against both teams.
If you look at the players that aren't in Divy 1 this year I'd say 15-20 out of the top 40 players from last year aren't playing anymore.
Cloke
Cloke
Heenan
Gordon
Fynch
Young
Page
Bongetti
Laurie
Doyle
Brockway
Bloomfield