Which players will your club move on at the end of the season?

Remove this Banner Ad

Why?

His point was:

- The season is too long and could change it to play every team once, therefore shortening the season.

- Preseason is too long. He was saying, players don't come back fatty boombas these days (expect maybe motlop) and need 6 months to get back into shape. Coming back after xmas would be sufficient to prepare for the upcoming season.

It's not hard to comprehend.

I understand, was intended tongue in cheek mate, given that Bob is in the twilight of his career. :)

Guess it all depends on how many players the club can trade in and wants to take in the draft.

Senior List OOC potential delisted
Craig Bird
Heath Hocking
Brent Stanton
Jackson Merrett
Alex Morgan
Ben Howlett

OOC Potential Retirements
James Kelly (34 next season)
Jobe Watson (33 next season)

Rookie List OOC potential delisted
Yestin Eades (Already delisted before the season)
Shaun McKernan
Jake Long
Seems about right. Potentially rookie Morgan given its only year 2.

Howlett may stay. Not like we are flush with mids that can play inside. Esp if Watson retires

Intriguing to see these 2 facing the chop - the club really went above and beyond to protect their careers, especially considering what they were banned for - what's the general feeling around that amoung the punters?
I think you mean Josh Thomas, who will get a new contract. Smith is a poor footballer with no special traits, a new coach might axe him immediately.

Keeffe has been poor at VFL level, there's absolutely nothing in keeping him. The fans all want him gone.

Should be Baguely, Stanton, Bellchambers, Dea and any other Fringe players they have no intention of giving a fair crack at it.

I think you mean Josh Thomas, who will get a new contract. Smith is a poor footballer with no special traits, a new coach might axe him immediately.

Keeffe has been poor at VFL level, there's absolutely nothing in keeping him. The fans all want him gone.

Ahh I'm sorry - clearly need another coffee - I did mean Thomas.

Fair enough.

WCE is a funny one - next month will likely seal the fate of a few.

Josh Hill looks gone, Mark LeCras is pretty much cooked, Tom Lamb surely must be close to the end, Sam Butler likely retires, Eric MacKenzie's contract situation will be make or break - he probably stays.

Redden and Jetta have likely saved their spots with a good run of form recently.

Probably didn't give this enough thought because you can also add Mitchell, Giles and Petrie to the retirements and Tunbridge, possibly Wellingham and maybe Masten to the delist/trade bracket.

Plenty of turnover - hopefully - needs done.

Why?

His point was:

- The season is too long and could change it to play every team once, therefore shortening the season.

- Preseason is too long. He was saying, players don't come back fatty boombas these days (expect maybe motlop) and need 6 months to get back into shape. Coming back after xmas would be sufficient to prepare for the upcoming season.

It's not hard to comprehend.

Shorten the season? Shorten the paypacket .. I bet he'd do a backflip then.

Should be Baguely, Stanton, Bellchambers, Dea and any other Fringe players they have no intention of giving a fair crack at it.
Lol Bellchambers is Essendon's no.1 ruck. Baguley is playing every week so the coaches clearly have him best 22, plenty of other players go before him. Dea is a handy back up player not on much money.

Very few players OOC for us right now:

* Talia, Leonardis and Jack I'm presuming all get delisted, Talia probably the most likely to prove me wrong.
* McVeigh is 50/50 to play on.
* AJ probably gets another deal
* Reid and Jones are tricky to call. They'll stay if they want to, but the contracts saga has run on long enough for me to not feel confident about it.

Guys like Rose and Foote probably are somewhat lucky they were already contracted, else they'd be a chance of getting delisted.

Rookie list is tough to gague; I'm guessing Fox, Fisher and Pink get another year at least. Don't know about Edwards and Ronke, but I feel like they haven't been bad enough to leave the rookie list completely. Not sure what are the rules re: how long you can keep Cat B guys on the rookie list, if both can get 3 then I suspect O'Riordan and Murray get an extra year. If not then O'Riordan probably goes.

Yeah we are going to move on our number 1 ruck who has been playing excellently the last 2 months. :cool:

Also i'm no fan of Baguley but to suggest he doesn't give his best effort each week is simply not true.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wow, I totally missed that Rhys Palmer was on Carlton's list now!

3 ex-GWS players on that list. Are the Blues starting to realise why GWS was willing to let those guys go in the first place?

Not really, we took them as salary dump players as part of the Marchbnak, Pickett, Plowman etc.. I think at the time we thought Jaksch would be a good get, but like many players that hasnt worked out.

Retired: Nick Riewoldt, Leigh Montagna, Sean Dempster (confirmed)
Delisted: Jason Holmes, Nick Coughlan (Rookie)
Trade Bait: Tom Hickey, Shane Savage

Nick Graham
Smedts
Boekhurst
Jaksch
Palmer
Sumner

Maybe Daisy if he stays it will be on a much reduced contract

I think Jacksh, Armfield, Buckley and Palmer (contract?) might be gone and Korcheck (rookie) too.

Smedts (contract?) is in the same boat as Palmer, but may be kept for protection/insurance plus has shown a bit more.

Daisy will get another contract at a heavily discounted rate as his form and contribution has been alright IMO.

Wow, I totally missed that Rhys Palmer was on Carlton's list now!

3 ex-GWS players on that list. Are the Blues starting to realise why GWS was willing to let those guys go in the first place?

Everyone except snide opposition posters and Matthew Lloyd realise that certain GWS players were taken as part of deals so the Giants could salary dump onto us given their list number reduction and tight salary cap. It's how we got the players we wanted at a heavily discounted rate and has worked out beautifully for both clubs. We had huge holes in our list experience wise and could most certainly afford to carry their wages; these players like Palmer, Lamb (been ok), Phillips (serviceable but injured, better than average backup) were never recruited to be stars or difference makers.

I'm told Dusty is definitely gone.

The source is lots of fans that want him at their clubs, so it's got to be legit. Right?
And when the truth comes out that he laughed at St Kilda when they called him their fans will then claim that he's overrated and they didn't want him anyway.

Everyone except snide opposition posters and Matthew Lloyd realise that certain GWS players were taken as part of deals so the Giants could salary dump onto us given their list number reduction and tight salary cap. It's how we got the players we wanted at a heavily discounted rate and has worked out beautifully for both clubs. We had huge holes in our list experience wise and could most certainly afford to carry their wages; these players like Palmer, Lamb (been ok), Phillips (serviceable but injured, better than average backup) were never recruited to be stars or difference makers.

I still think it's a potentially great way to build a list that hasn't been explored to the full extent in the AFL.
Take on expiring contracts to gain players cheaply on the trade table. Allows you to cover the salary cap floor, without overpaying your young guns before they've earned that sort of money. I think it's working nicely at the moment.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back