Bluemour Discussion Thread IV

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its hard because Gallucci filled a need and JGM was always a project player who probably deserved that second year. In hindsight a developing ruck would've been useful, but when you have three ruckman already in the twos it makes it hard to pick up another. How do you develop them all?
In hindsight a developing ruck would have put pressure on Gorringe, Phillips and Korcheck to lift their standards.

Gallucci is way down on the depth chart for his position, one that we have quality young talent in. Right now the small forward depth chart would be:

Wright, Thomas, Fisher, Sumner, Pickett, Buckley, Palmer, Armfield, Polson, Gallucci, LeBois.

You can toss Lamb in there if you like, but I don't see him as a deep forward. We had zero reason to re-draft Gallucci except reward for effort, which was woefully misjudged.

Am I wrong in thinking our 'zone' includes academy picks for AFLW players as well?

I think recruiting in the AFLW isn't as streamlined at the AFL at this point. The top players get drafted but the rest just sort of wander in from anywhere.

I stand to be corrected by any AFLW experts.
The NGA includes an AFLW pathway, but I'm unsure if that translates to a bidding process.

Placed in the #bluemour file...

A lot of this has been speculated previously but Sam McClure (I think it was) said on the Age podcast that Carlton's "love affair" with GWS is set to continue at season's end.

Specifically, he noted we are heavily into Josh Kelly. Should he opt not to choose us, we will move our attention to Jacob Hopper.

Either way, we are also VERY keen on Lachie Whitfield, despite him being contracted.

#bluemour

A lot of this has been speculated previously but Sam McClure (I think it was) said on the Age podcast that Carlton's "love affair" with GWS is set to continue at season's end.

Specifically, he noted we are heavily into Josh Kelly. Should he opt not to choose us, we will move our attention to Jacob Hopper.

Either way, we are also VERY keen on Lachie Whitfield, despite him being contracted.

#bluemour
Fits with the story that GWS reluctantly upped their offer to Kelly, knowing it would likely force out other players.
So if they re-sign Kelly it makes Hopper more obtainable

#bluemour

There was a story when Whitfield was suspended, that he was very peeved with GWS for the way they handled the drug thing. He did what they advised and copped six months. Story was he'd jump asap.

want whitfield and hopper before getting just kelly

Spot on.

particularly if they come cheaper in both draft picks and remuneration.
Would allow us to retain Gibbs. The question is would you prefer to chance it with a draft pick no 3 or attain the services of two quality mids.

Wouldn't mind picking up Matera with the compo pick for Cas.

I can only dream.

Dirk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Spot on.

Would allow us to retain Gibbs. The question is would you prefer to chance it with a draft pick no 3 or attain the services of two quality mids.

I can only dream.

I'd probably do Whitfield and Hopper for #3 particularly in this draft, then pick up Balic for a song and keep Gibbs.

Next year:

Cripps
Gibbs
Murphy
Whitfield
Hopper
SPS
E Curnow
Cuningham
Balic

That's some seriously good depth in the midfield all of a sudden.

Pick 2-3 for Hopper and Whitfield?

lol.

would you give up pick 2 for SPS and Weitering?

basically the same concept (even though sps/weiters are more valuable to us than hopper/whitfield are to GWS)

I think pick 2 and a player, or pick 2 and a swap of 2nd rounders would get it done, especially as whitfield is under contract.

If GWS want to salary dump, we could get say Griffin (or the salary dumped player) thrown in for nothing.

lol.

basically the same concept (even though sps/weiters are more valuable to us than hopper/whitfield are to GWS)

I think pick 2 and a player, or pick 2 and a swap of 2nd rounders would get it done, especially as whitfield is under contract.

If GWS want to salary dump, we could get say Griffin (or the salary dumped player) thrown in for nothing.
I get what you're saying but if Hopper and Whitfield signal that they want to leave that offer isn't bad, especially if we can add a second rounder.

lol.

Don't think you are comparing apples with apples the GWS boys have been in the system for a lot longer haven't exactly set the world on fire depreciating their value somewhat.

I fear Whitfield could be a bit of a fizzer. Lets use our first pick and get Kelly. Elite elite. I think its going to be as simple as he either nominates us or he doesn't. If he does - GWS get our existing first rounder and IF anything else, change. Hopper yes. But Hopper and Whitfield gets me nowhere near as excited as Kelly.

I fear Whitfield could be a bit of a fizzer. Lets use our first pick and get Kelly. Elite elite. I think its going to be as simple as he either nominates us or he doesn't. If he does - GWS get our existing first rounder and IF anything else, change. Hopper yes. But Hopper and Whitfield gets me nowhere near as excited as Kelly.

This seems like a situation where Kelly will 100% nominate his club of choice depending on the contract he wants. GWS either play ball or lose him for nothing.

If he doesn't nominate us, I'm happy to go with Hopper, Balic and take pick 3 to the draft. Not a bad coupe any way you look at it.

Gallucci is way down on the depth chart for his position, one that we have quality young talent in. Right now the small forward depth chart would be:

Wright, Thomas, Fisher, Sumner, Pickett, Buckley, Palmer, Armfield, Polson, Gallucci, LeBois.

You can toss Lamb in there if you like, but I don't see him as a deep forward. We had zero reason to re-draft Gallucci except reward for effort, which was woefully misjudged.
Where's the quality young talent in that list?

Surprised Whitfield is only 23 - can't say I've watched him too closely but in the couple games I've taken notice this year he has looked quite good.

Plenty of development left and would add run to the team - wouldn't mind the pick up at all.

Spot on.

I

Kelly needs to stay consistent and keep improving. I am not yet convinced he can win games like a buddy danger or even dusty. I understand he is young but is he a match winner ?
Yes his numbers are good yes his kicking is elite but can he change a whole match not sure yet.
That is why i reckon hopper whitfield would be better for us overall I think. whitfield elite running disposals are almost elite. Hopper is a hardened bull a bit like viney. We can replace Murphy and Gibbs with these 2.
Reckon BSOS is a potential lynch kennedy btw.

Surprised Whitfield is only 23 - can't say I've watched him too closely but in the couple games I've taken notice this year he has looked quite good.

Plenty of development left and would add run to the team - wouldn't mind the pick up at all.
One of the more unassuming number 1 picks in recent memory, but still very good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back