Free Kick Ladder 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah how dare St Kilda win a free kick count, us winning a rare free kick count doesn't make my complaints about the umpiring we usually get any less valid.

What free kicks did we get yesterday that we didn't deserve? We dominated play and it's not like the umpiring affected the result.

The frees were basically ok. A few times we got pinged HTB despite no prior but umpires everywhere screw that up. By far the worst adjudicated rule in the game.

We lost because we were lazy and St Kilda played hard.

Yep, that'd be it!

Reckon it is (except north)

Based purely on that table - we (and others) don't get an exceptional number of free kicks, In fact in the case of Carlton, marginally under average.

Where the "differential works" is that those three clubs give away less kicks. That could either be gamestyle, or technique/discipline. But I am not sure how a loud crowd influences an umpire to "not" blow the whistle. Yet to hear our crown yell out "ball up" or "play on" en masse.

Reckon it is (except north)

Based purely on that table - we (and others) don't get an exceptional number of free kicks, In fact in the case of Carlton, marginally under average.

Where the "differential works" is that those three clubs give away less kicks. That could either be gamestyle, or technique/discipline. But I am not sure how a loud crowd influences an umpire to "not" blow the whistle. Yet to hear our crown yell out "ball up" or "play on" en masse.
Yep, Crows undisciplined for sure. Also play unsociable footy...hmmm

The bounce of the ball might be a random factor but it doesn't change from quarter to quarter, game to game or year to year like the umpiring does.

The bounce of the ball also doesn't favour certain teams like the umpiring favours certain teams.

The bounce of the ball is a random factor without any bias or manipulation, the same can't be said for the umpiring unfortunately.

Must have just been the umpiring favouring the saints then, not the randomn factors like the bounce of the ball. How was that free kick given to Bruce in the goal square in the second quarter after coming off a Jack Steele throw - even he couldn't miss that one. Why wasn't that mark paid to Gunston when he had clearly stopped the ball and controlled which was followed up by Roberton leading to a goal. Or how about the tackle on Acres in the third quarter when he took the player on and was gone for all money holding the ball, instead the ball spills and saints player picks it up and snaps a goal.

Only three goals that shouldn't have happened with proper adjudication but as you say umpiring favours certain teams. And the free kick count was 17 to 8 before the umpires awarded hawthorn two meaningless late free kicks.

I don't think the total number of free kicks is a meaningful stat, some umpires play a lot of free kicks, others let the game flow on, the conditions also sometimes makes umpires let things go more, the differential is more meaningful, especially in games where there isn't a substantial home advantage. Within those numbers there are other stories to tell.

Our free kick stats to the end of round 7: 151 For 131 Against (+20)

We won the free kick count 4 of the 7 games, was even twice and lost one by -1. So the umpires love us? I doubt it, we have won the tackle count in 6 of the 7 games. There aren't a huge number of free kicks paid for HTB at stoppages and the vast majority of the tackles occur at stoppages, but it is helpful to look at where there is significant variance.

We have some players with very good tackle techniques, some who have poor techniques that get sloppy with the tackles at stoppages and give away too many high contact tackles, Ziebell is guilty of that, has 7 free kicks for, 11 against. Preuss being relatively new to the game also had a habit of giving away a few too many free kicks due to the way he engaged in body contact, he is on 3 for, 10 against. Tarrant has been a bit undisciplined at times with his engaging the opposition forward, has 11 free for, 14 against.

Where there is a significant variance in our favour is with Goldstein 18 for, 5 against. He hasn't had huge bags of frees but has been getting 2-4 free kicks, mostly for ruck infringements, and not giving away too many himself. The ruck differential is a significant contributing factor to our overall differential.

The other area we have been particularly good at is a few players are really good at the run down defensive tackles, they don't necessarily have a high number of tackles, but when they do tackle, their opponent has had prior opportunity and are more prone to receiving a free kick for it. Luke McDonald is only in 8th spot for average tackles per games and has had a total of 29 tackles but he has 12 free kicks for and 1 against. Hrovat has 21 tackles, 10 free kicks for, 3 against.

Our largest differential was on the weekend against the Crows, 23 free kicks vs 16, but the tackle differential was 90 vs 50. There is an element of luck involved, but you can also make your own luck by doing the good things well and minimising the poor things.

Which player has received the most free kicks in 2017?

It’s Joel Selwood. But you already knew that.

The Geelong skipper has already racked up 28 frees for the year, five ahead of ruck duo Shane Mumford and Todd Goldstein.

If this continues it would be the fifth consecutive year the Geelong skipper lead the AFL for total free kicks. He also received the most in 2008 and 2009.

Screen-Shot-2017-05-25-at-10.52.49-AM.png

SOURCE: AFL TABLES
Meanwhile, North Melbourne is now the team who have received the most free kicks for the season.

The Roos have 191 for the season, followed by Brisbane (187) and the Bulldogs (184).

Gold Coast have recorded the least on just 139.

https://www.bigfooty.com/news/2017/05/which-player-has-received-the-most-free-kicks-in-2017/

I remember once watching those 'Last 2 minutes' replays of a close game the AFL website put up. I was neutral - it wasn't a Richmond game.

Just for fun, I decided to look at what frees COULD have been paid. I reckon I saw at least 6 incidents where the umps could have blown the whistle - both ways - nothing really blatant stood out (at least from the angle the TV camera was). There was at least one free paid - yeah, I suppose it was there. We have a very, very subjective game as far as rules enforcement goes. Don't like it? - don't watch it, then.

Umpiring is like the funny-shaped ball we use. It's part of the game - sometimes it bounces your way in a close finish. If you try and rationalise it any other way - or worse, invent some conspiracy theory - you will never come to peace with it. It's been that way for ever, and always will be.

Which player has received the most free kicks in 2017?

It’s Joel Selwood. But you already knew that.

The Geelong skipper has already racked up 28 frees for the year, five ahead of ruck duo Shane Mumford and Todd Goldstein.

If this continues it would be the fifth consecutive year the Geelong skipper lead the AFL for total free kicks. He also received the most in 2008 and 2009.

Screen-Shot-2017-05-25-at-10.52.49-AM.png

SOURCE: AFL TABLES
Meanwhile, North Melbourne is now the team who have received the most free kicks for the season.

The Roos have 191 for the season, followed by Brisbane (187) and the Bulldogs (184).

Gold Coast have recorded the least on just 139.

https://www.bigfooty.com/news/2017/05/which-player-has-received-the-most-free-kicks-in-2017/

Hawthorn once again has received the least free kicks in the competition. It would be a good time to revive the media driven claim as perpetuated by BigFooty posters about freekickhawthorn.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Context
Dogs and eagles get away with holding the ball and throws more than other teams, Geelong are shocking for holding off the ball without penalty, and to stop cats fans getting all antsy over a hawk fan, Hawks get away with arm chops a fair bit

This is how perceptions of clubs come about, not because of a positive or negative free kick count, but because different standards are held

Nice observation but Hawthorn i think would be way ahead on goals from freekicks andthis certainly gave assistance to your close wins over the years no doubt
poppy, cyril ,bruest,scily hence the FREE KICK HAWTHORN call after another blatant milking of a free
geelong of course get heaps of head high which anoys all and really is not in the spirit of the game.
This shows Weak umpiring
Lonergan tunnells (every time), never called as well, plenty of shepparding in the ruck by both clubs in the past too ,Mcevoy cant jump and Geelong 3rd man up for years
This shows a Lack of understanding
Its when and where you get the frees , does your team find space with that little throw, does it change momentum .
Yet again a lack of understanding
Umpiring is VERY ordinary and so inconsistent , its very hard to fathom why they dont simply make it easier for all
IT MUST BE BIASED, hence the reluctance to CLARIFY the rules , gives em a huge excuse to manipulate the competition ANY way they see fit.
27 different guys will ALWAYS have a differing of opinion and with money involved , enough said
Now whos that umpire coach.whats that history?
Ive found in life the Apple never falls far from the tree

Nice bit of umpiring favouring St Kilda on the weekend winning the free kick count 17 to 10. I don't expect any comment from you on this but it would be wonderful if hawthorn could get the sort of run that St Kilda seems get week in week out.
thanks mate needed a laugh
only 17 frees paid hawks /pies 11 -6 ?
youre way
LOL

Must have just been the umpiring favouring the saints then, not the randomn factors like the bounce of the ball. How was that free kick given to Bruce in the goal square in the second quarter after coming off a Jack Steele throw - even he couldn't miss that one. Why wasn't that mark paid to Gunston when he had clearly stopped the ball and controlled which was followed up by Roberton leading to a goal. Or how about the tackle on Acres in the third quarter when he took the player on and was gone for all money holding the ball, instead the ball spills and saints player picks it up and snaps a goal.

Only three goals that shouldn't have happened with proper adjudication but as you say umpiring favours certain teams. And the free kick count was 17 to 8 before the umpires awarded hawthorn two meaningless late free kicks.

unlike youre mob to get meaningless free kicks
BRING BACK MARK EVANS

Hawthorn once again has received the least free kicks in the competition. It would be a good time to revive the media driven claim as perpetuated by BigFooty posters about freekickhawthorn.
mate do you have a dvd out or cd or doing any live gigs
youre a scream
very talented
take over hugheys spot ,youl'd make the footy show more entertaining for all
You could do a Highlight package of you analyising the free ride your club's got FOR YEARs and explaining it with a straight face , maybe multiple choice
a im blind
b im a idiot
c.im biasedi
d.dont know jack about football
could even be all of the above

Nice observation but Hawthorn i think would be way ahead on goals from freekicks andthis certainly gave assistance to your close wins over the years no doubt
poppy, cyril ,bruest,scily hence the FREE KICK HAWTHORN call after another blatant milking of a free
Care to back this claim up with any data whatsoever?

Or is it just the "right in front of me!" vibe?

Care to back this claim up with any data whatsoever?

Or is it just the "right in front of me!" vibe?
Well dont really think i need to provide anything mate as any one with half a brain cant question it ,just watch a couple of games thats what i do.
bit like your first flag
remember that one, thing s havent changed
viva la dolce vita isnt it!
Off course unless your biased or Blind
Does your dog like pal or goes supercoat as a matter of interest?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back