Up the Arse! Goons Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
As I replied to PendlePie, I think Koscielny's body is on the verge of giving out. He has a bad back and has had so for a long time but he keeps getting whipped by Wenger and I feel that he could well be out of the side more often than in. A fully fit, well managed Koscielny would not be anywhere near my "get rid of" list.

Chambers came as a right back and that's where he should have remained until he was much more proficient at his craft. He's been with us now what, 3 seasons and he's gone backwards. To use Aussie Rules parlance Glen, you don't take a back a half back flanker and try and turn him into a center half back. Monreal and Sagna, before they were asked to play at center back, they were seasoned campaigners, Chambers was a child in comparison when he was asked to play there and in midfield no less, with the game being played on 360 degrees. Do you remember when Monreal first came to the club Glen? You could just tell straight off that he knew about football, he was a good footballer but even he looked like "where the f**k am I" playing in an Arsenal side where he had been given no direction. That's the Wenger way: laissez-faire s**t.

Walcott is another example of a young player coming to the club with slashing speed and an innate ability to finish but Wenger goes and plays him in a position which necessarily requires a good deal of defending, not to mention being able to beat a player close in without resorting initially to your speed and then having the ability to whip in accurate crosses and it was like putting Walcott on another planet! If you're going to play youngsters in unaccustomed positions, teach them about what they should be doing, give them the right coaching, don't just throw them in there and run the risk of destroying their careers.

Xhaka seems to me that when he tempers his butchery, he also tempers any pretence of being a good footballer. What I mean is that when you strip away his agro, he isn't all that flash you know. If it was a choice of him or Elneny, I'd take Elneny. He moves across the ground better, he's alright in a tackle, he has much better awareness and handled correctly, he'd be a real asset and a goalscorer from outside the box.

Koscielny's back/ankle problems are a concern but he remains amongst the best center halves in the PL. I rate his leadership too, seemed to have a very good influence when playing alongside Holding.

Chambers came over as a decent RB yes, but since then he has been monstered so many times. Has looked slow and devoid of confidence out there. I agree Wenger is culpable in this.

His decision to go into that season with just two senior CBs (Koscielny and Mertesacker) was moronic. Completely threw Chambers to the wolves and overplayed him before he really had time to settle into the club.

He hasn't been the same since, and no doubt Wenger's incompetence has played a part in this. How much of a part, well we can't say for sure.

Elneny is very good even though he's used sparingly. Xhaka is hard to write off so soon, he should be much better in his second season. I guess we'll have a better handle on this after his first month or two of the new season.

Yeah, I know where you are coming from but Xhaka is just a hatchet man really, Koscielny is one of those who has been really badly managed and his body really can't take it much longer and then there's the nagging doubt I have about his leadership qualities in the heart of the defence because when Mertesaker isn't along side him, he seems really nervy and he isn't getting much younger so experience won't correct this. As for Giroud, he too was handled like s**t by Wenger. He was in a rich vein of scoring during the season and Wenger dropped him! I still think thought that this "squad player" thing is alright if you are a mid-table type side, but I reckon to win the league, you need quality right throughout your squad and not just some stop gaps; you know what I mean?

Agree re: Giroud, but I think his skillset off the bench has proved itself quite handy against certain opposition. I think Xhaka has been mismanaged too though - about 6 different midfield partners in a side that was set up horrendously & conceded 3+ for a long string of away games. Kos is a star injury permitting but we need a star CB to play next to him.

lol how is Koscielny in the not rated category? Put the bottle down :drunk:
Do you ever, do you ever pay attention to what you are reading or do you just skim through things and then go out of your way to insult people even though you haven't read everything in it's entirety?

You are just basically rude.

Koscielny's back/ankle problems are a concern but he remains amongst the best center halves in the PL. I rate his leadership too, seemed to have a very good influence when playing alongside Holding.

Chambers came over as a decent RB yes, but since then he has been monstered so many times. Has looked slow and devoid of confidence out there. I agree Wenger is culpable in this.

His decision to go into that season with just two senior CBs (Koscielny and Mertesacker) was moronic. Completely threw Chambers to the wolves and overplayed him before he really had time to settle into the club.

He hasn't been the same since, and no doubt Wenger's incompetence has played a part in this. How much of a part, well we can't say for sure.

Elneny is very good even though he's used sparingly. Xhaka is hard to write off so soon, he should be much better in his second season. I guess we'll have a better handle on this after his first month or two of the new season.
No question that Koscielny is amongst the best Center Halves in the EPL. I just have an awful feeling that his injuries may catch up with him this season and given that Wenger continues to be the coach, I'd really like to see another top quality center half at the club. I didn't put Mustafi in the "get rid of" basket because I was a bit more lenient with him than Xhaka even though I have some real concerns about him as a good center half as well but maybe, just maybe, he'll have relaxed a bit and we'll see a more composed and dominating Mustafi in his second season. Same goes for Xhaka too I suppose.

Seeing as it looks like we're going to be able to have a conversation about squad players without resorting to assholery for once (YAY!), I'll just quickly comment that the last part there is spot on. Very underrated player. You could tell that from the start.

Giroud is good depth. You don't get his record at international level by being a second rate player. Put simply, we play a style and formation that don't work for him. As has been noted by almost everyone in here before, he's a CF, not a true striker. He has good touch and a great short passing game. If we played two up front, I dare say his goal scoring record would be phenomenal. As it is, it's still pretty good.
You make some excellent points I reckon about Giroud and yes, he must have some talent to be able to have such a good record of scoring Internationally but as you have said, we play a style and formation that doesn't suit him.

I found it beyond a joke that he was dropped whilst he was in great form and he was finding it harder to miss than score and upon his return, he came back the same Giroud that really gives me the shits, that is, saunters around not looking interested, not going hard at the ball, being on his heels, getting brushed aside by players half his size and carrying on like he's been shot by an elephant gun when he goes down with even the slightest of knocks. To much of that s**t for my liking and patience does wear thin. I would much rather have a fit and firing Welbeck than Giroud but he is another one who has been managed terribly by an incompetent rehab and conditioning department.

We couldn't win the League 2 years ago competing with the Foxes when every other big club somehow flopped, that year was the best chance for us to win the League.
The Foxes had a phenomenal run with injuries, that is, lack of and Ranieri had the same settled side week in and week out and had them playing like they were invincible. That's what I reckon actually lead to his demise ironically. When they won the League and had to play in Europe, Ranieri had to buy and play new players in order to manage the team because of the greatly increased work load but the "regulars" just didn't want to be dropped/"managed" and started behaving like kiddies who had their toys taken away.

I think it's unfair to underestimate just how good Leicester were the year they won the title. There was absolutely no fluke involved whatsoever. The EPL is 38 cup final games per season basically and scrubbers don't win the title.

With Benno putting me right, I am nowhere near as confident about winning the league now but what do we make of the two Manchesters, Chelsea Tottenham & Liverpool playing in the Champions League? Are they going to make a concerted effort to win the European tournament or will they put more emphasis on winning the EPL because to my mind, it is very unlikely an EPL side can win both? I think it's nearly impossible.

Tottenham's coach seems to have paid attention when the hierarchy over there told him he must put his focus on the domestic front and what of Liverpool if they make it through the play off rounds and get into the group stage?

I really do hope that we focus on the League instead of the Europa thingy because I think if we can have a season with minimal injuries with Burgo doing the business, we are in with a good shot.

The Foxes had a phenomenal run with injuries, that is, lack of and Ranieri had the same settled side week in and week out and had them playing like they were invincible. That's what I reckon actually lead to his demise ironically. When they won the League and had to play in Europe, Ranieri had to buy and play new players in order to manage the team because of the greatly increased work load but the "regulars" just didn't want to be dropped/"managed" and started behaving like kiddies who had their toys taken away.

I think it's unfair to underestimate just how good Leicester were the year they won the title. There was absolutely no fluke involved whatsoever. The EPL is 38 cup final games per season basically and scrubbers don't win the title.

With Benno putting me right, I am nowhere near as confident about winning the league now but what do we make of the two Manchesters, Chelsea Tottenham & Liverpool playing in the Champions League? Are they going to make a concerted effort to win the European tournament or will they put more emphasis on winning the EPL because to my mind, it is very unlikely an EPL side can win both? I think it's nearly impossible.

Tottenham's coach seems to have paid attention when the hierarchy over there told him he must put his focus on the domestic front and what of Liverpool if they make it through the play off rounds and get into the group stage?

I really do hope that we focus on the League instead of the Europa thingy because I think if we can have a season with minimal injuries with Burgo doing the business, we are in with a good shot.

Whatever way you want to look at it they won it with 81 points ( I'm not saying they didn't deserve it by the way) which is about as low of a tally as your going to win it with, so I maintain 2 years ago was our golden chance to win it. Shame Wenger left us with Flamini as one of our 4 CM options so when Santi went down he ended up playing every week.

Do you ever, do you ever pay attention to what you are reading or do you just skim through things and then go out of your way to insult people even though you haven't read everything in it's entirety?

You are just basically rude.
I forgot you're a patron saint. My apologies.

Whatever way you want to look at it they won it with 81 points ( I'm not saying they didn't deserve it by the way) which is about as low of a tally as your going to win it with, so I maintain 2 years ago was our golden chance to win it. Shame Wenger left us with Flamini as one of our 4 CM options so when Santi went down he ended up playing every week.
No arguments with that but as you said, that's Wenger!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No question that Koscielny is amongst the best Center Halves in the EPL. I just have an awful feeling that his injuries may catch up with him this season and given that Wenger continues to be the coach, I'd really like to see another top quality center half at the club. I didn't put Mustafi in the "get rid of" basket because I was a bit more lenient with him than Xhaka even though I have some real concerns about him as a good center half as well but maybe, just maybe, he'll have relaxed a bit and we'll see a more composed and dominating Mustafi in his second season. Same goes for Xhaka too I suppose.

Xhaka was also a victim of really having a defined a role by Wenger, he seemed to be making things up as he went along. There were reports coming out (not from the English press by from other European outlets) that Xhaka would say he barely received any instructions, and his midfield partners would continually change. Didn't allow him to settle into a rhythm until later in the season.

We've got plenty of question marks going into the new season but for me, Xhaka isn't one of them. He'll come good, am confident of this.

Xhaka was also a victim of really having a defined a role by Wenger, he seemed to be making things up as he went along. There were reports coming out (not from the English press by from other European outlets) that Xhaka would say he barely received any instructions, and his midfield partners would continually change. Didn't allow him to settle into a rhythm until later in the season.

We've got plenty of question marks going into the new season but for me, Xhaka isn't one of them. He'll come good, am confident of this.
I respect greatly your opinion Glen and I hope that Xhaka has a fine season.

The reports that Xhaka barely received any instructions are born out by just looking at how we play and especially, how "lost" all the new chums look when they come into the team. It's that laissez-faire s**t I referred to in one of my other posts. Somehow, Wenger reckons that you just get players, regardless of what role/positions they are best at playing and just send 'em out there and "she'll be right".

Agreed, Xhaka isn't the problem in midfield it's his partner where we are lacking, when the Xhaka-Ramsey pivot was locked in later on he was excellent. Still hoping we sign that Kante-style player to partner him and that pairing would flourish. Rumours around Jean-Michael Seri seem to be re-emerging which could be a good start, although he isn't as defensively minded as Kante I think he would suit us well.

I'm not on twitter so I don't really get it - what happened? He's saying he's not well or something?

Edit: okay just looked it up, he posted that he's sick. Is it that bad? Or I must be missing something?

I'm not on twitter so I don't really get it - what happened? He's saying he's not well or something?

Edit: okay just looked it up, he posted that he's sick. Is it that bad? Or I must be missing something?
He is also threatening to not turn up at Arsenal but his manager is saying he needs to.

He is also threatening to not turn up at Arsenal but his manager is saying he needs to.

That's s**t, if true. If.

But who knows what to believe, there were some outlets trying to turn the fans against him a few weeks back with ridiculous reports of his wage demands (£400k+ a week) which are pretty far fetched. It's hard to know where it's originating from.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back