Draft Profile Cameron Rayner

Remove this Banner Ad

Not good.

Cam Rayner played in private school semi final today. His team lost and reports from Brett Anderson and others on twitter is that Rayner just went through the motions, no defensive effort (was called lazy) when playing in the midfield.

Not good.

Cam Rayner played in private school semi final today. His team lost and reports from Brett Anderson and others on twitter is that Rayner just went through the motions, no defensive effort (was called lazy) when playing in the midfield.

Just play him in the forward line

Not good.

Rayner isn't a lazy player. He currently has a knee injury that caused him to miss a couple of weeks. Still carrying it. Anderson is an average draft follower.

Rayner isn't a lazy player. He currently has a knee injury that caused him to miss a couple of weeks. Still carrying it. Anderson is an average draft follower.

I watched the game on Friday. And spoke to a few clubs, they agreed with what Anderson suggested.

Knee injury or not - it doesn't give you an excuse not to defend. One passage Alex Federico and Cam Rayner were standing on the half back flank together, fast forward 25 seconds, Federico marked and goaled from 35m out, meanwhile Rayner is still standing in the centre circle. He didn't want to chase, he didn't want to defend.

Interesting that some people are willing to excuse some players for having not played well or still going to select them high even after suffering an ACL. However, Rainer has one bad game even suffering from a sore knee and they are calling him lazy. Please explain.
He has been one of the most consistent players for the past 12 months. Give the kid a break.

Lads I go to school with Cam and he is one of my good mates. I can assure you he has a knee injury and I was talking to him in maths today and he said his knee is very sore right now. Not anything to do with work ethic, just a knee injury where he was playing very sore.

I don't get why a 'sore knee' is an excuse - Hamish Brayshaw played TAC Cup finals with a broken foot.

Rayner was still ok to try and take hangers all day (which he successfully did in the first quarter) but couldn't run defensively? Like seriously, that's not an excuse. He's run around like that in a few of his games this year - doesn't take it as seriously as he took the Champs games this year.

Interesting that some people are willing to excuse some players for having not played well or still going to select them high even after suffering an ACL. However, Rainer has one bad game even suffering from a sore knee and they are calling him lazy. Please explain.
He has been one of the most consistent players for the past 12 months. Give the kid a break.

Not sure I agree with that - but regardless of your skill level - 'effort' is a measurable asset. You can tell if a kid if giving 100% whether they are the worst player or best player on the team.

As I said above - he still managed to fly for marks, but what wasn't able to run 100m defensively? It's not an excuse. Clubs can see very clearly if a kid is busting his gut or just jogging around & it was very obvious on Friday.

I don't get why a 'sore knee' is an excuse - Hamish Brayshaw played TAC Cup finals with a broken foot.

Rayner was still ok to try and take hangers all day (which he successfully did in the first quarter) but couldn't run defensively? Like seriously, that's not an excuse. He's run around like that in a few of his games this year - doesn't take it as seriously as he took the Champs games this year.

Not sure I agree with that - but regardless of your skill level - 'effort' is a measurable asset. You can tell if a kid if giving 100% whether they are the worst player or best player on the team.

As I said above - he still managed to fly for marks, but what wasn't able to run 100m defensively? It's not an excuse. Clubs can see very clearly if a kid is busting his gut or just jogging around & it was very obvious on Friday.

The play you are talking about Rayner actually attempted a spoil and stood on the mark? The kid has had a ripper carnival and the way he goes about can see that he would hate to miss a game, he shouldn't have played this week or against Geelong the week before but he backs ups give him a break. He has been a pretty consistent player all year and it was enormous for him to even step up and play.

Not good.

Rayner's school form hasn't been at all convincing. He's had very few games of the standard that would be expected of a possible no. 1 pick, and I've heard that just generally his defensive work has left something to be desired. Also worrying is the fact that he was completely shut down and beaten in the first half of a school game earlier in the year by a 15-year-old. I'm yet to see signs that he can handle real defensive pressure, the kind that he will certainly attract at AFL level.

Rayner's school form hasn't been at all convincing. He's had very few games of the standard that would be expected of a possible no. 1 pick, and I've heard that just generally his defensive work has left something to be desired. Also worrying is the fact that he was completely shut down and beaten in the first half of a school game earlier in the year by a 15-year-old. I'm yet to see signs that he can handle real defensive pressure, the kind that he will certainly attract at AFL level.
Who was he shut down by..?

I'm not concerned because the young man should have more on his mind than school football, how many schools offer the opportunities that AFL can..?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who was he shut down by..?

I'm not concerned because the young man should have more on his mind than school football, how many schools offer the opportunities that AFL can..?
Exactly, maybe he had a few weeks where he couldn't get up for school footy, in addition to sore knee.

The way some people on here go on about school footy, there is no way when TAC is full strength that school footy comes close to TAC.

The kid played a very good game for Jets yesterday, high impact player.

Exactly, maybe he had a few weeks where he couldn't get up for school footy, in addition to sore knee.

The way some people on here go on about school footy, there is no way when TAC is full strength that school footy comes close to TAC.

The kid played a very good game for Jets yesterday, high impact player.
That's the point. School footy is the place for these top prospects to show their dominance, in a comparatively weaker environment. Especially when you consider the week-in-week-out performance of guys like Lachie Fogarty, Luke Davies-Uniacke, Charlie Constable, Dylan Moore (just to name a few) in the APS, a much stronger competition than the AGSV, Rayner's form pales in comparison. It also is the only real place for U18s where top prospects show their wares against tags and harsher defensive attention. Most of the top prospects from Victoria have shown that they can consistently star despite heavy attention, where Rayner simply hasn't yet.

That's the point. School footy is the place for these top prospects to show their dominance, in a comparatively weaker environment. Especially when you consider the week-in-week-out performance of guys like Lachie Fogarty, Luke Davies-Uniacke, Charlie Constable, Dylan Moore (just to name a few) in the APS, a much stronger competition than the AGSV, Rayner's form pales in comparison. It also is the only real place for U18s where top prospects show their wares against tags and harsher defensive attention. Most of the top prospects from Victoria have shown that they can consistently star despite heavy attention, where Rayner simply hasn't yet.

Agree with all your points here.

In saying all this - good to see him bounce back with 25 disposals and two goals on Saturday. Reckon it was his best game of the year.

Wondering if their is any truth in the reports/rumours that Rayner is "party animal" and enjoys the Melbourne nightlife?
Wonder where you heard that. Hard to know unless you knew of him or saw him out.

He'd want a fake ID aswell, not that its rare at all.

Wondering if their is any truth in the reports/rumours that Rayner is "party animal" and enjoys the Melbourne nightlife?

Nothing new for draftees, if I had a dollar for every time I've seen a potential draftee out at a club I'd be able to buy Neymar off PSG. Well maybe not but you get the point :)

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I watched the game on Friday. And spoke to a few clubs, they agreed with what Anderson suggested.

Knee injury or not - it doesn't give you an excuse not to defend. One passage Alex Federico and Cam Rayner were standing on the half back flank together, fast forward 25 seconds, Federico marked and goaled from 35m out, meanwhile Rayner is still standing in the centre circle. He didn't want to chase, he didn't want to defend.

Maybe, he doesn't want to go to Brisbane?

Maybe, he doesn't want to go to Brisbane?

Someone on our board joked he was tanking to slide to a Vic club. Virtually no one on our board wants to draft Rayner. Besides the go home factor there are also concerns about his endurance. Dow Cerra and perhaps Coffield are in the mix for our first pick

Asking from a position of complete ignorance here - do the positional and tagging rules used in the TAC Cup (and National Champs?) not apply at other junior levels?

Asking from a position of complete ignorance here - do the positional and tagging rules used in the TAC Cup (and National Champs?) not apply at other junior levels?

In the TAC Cup/U18 champs you can't tag & must have a certain amount of players inside your half of the ground etc

In school footy, the rules are the same as AFL. You can do as you please regarding tactics/press/tagging.

In the TAC Cup/U18 champs you can't tag & must have a certain amount of players inside your half of the ground etc

In school footy, the rules are the same as AFL. You can do as you please regarding tactics/press/tagging.
I've seen LDU tagged for Haileybury. Hunter Clark had "extra attention" against Gippsland of course they can't tag but when it came to stoppages someone always sat on him

I've seen LDU tagged for Haileybury. Hunter Clark had "extra attention" against Gippsland of course they can't tag but when it came to stoppages someone always sat on him

Yep LDU has been tagged in pretty much all the games I've seen HY play - but it's very hard to tag an inside player than an outside. Lochie O'Brien another who has been sat on all year at APS level. The good kids eg: Adam Cerra push through it and still play well. Others struggle.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back