our captain

subaru

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Bay 13: Flog of the Year
Nov 14, 2007
AFL Club
Adelaide
If you sum goals kicked + goal assists, he's leading the league - e.g. for total goals contributed. (Robbie gray the fainting goat is 2nd!)
Well, he's leading the league in goal assists and 7th for goals in his own right.

That's pretty bloody good.

Fainting goat lolololol

Dream Daddy

Debutant
Aug 3, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Still feel Tex has largely been disappointing this year. Bar a strong performance against an under strength Melbourne and a non-existent Port he has largely been unsighted the past 6-8 weeks.

Here's hoping he turns it on in September

beartoo

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 27, 2004
Moana Heights Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide
Still feel Tex has largely been disappointing this year. Bar a strong performance against an under strength Melbourne and a non-existent Port he has largely been unsighted the past 6-8 weeks.

I disagree. Tex was a bit off early in the year for some reason, but the last 6 weeks has been back in fine form.

BunjiMac

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
I don't think there is a forward in the league that can bring his team mates into play better than tex.

People rave about levers ability to read play as a backmen, but I think Walker is on another level. It's much easier to do when you see the play coming at you, but to read the play as well as he does as a forward puts him in the absolute elite category.

Dream Daddy

Debutant
Aug 3, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
I disagree. Tex was a bit off early in the year for some reason, but the last 6 weeks has been back in fine form.
Disagree. Since Rd 6 Walker has only kicked 4 or more goals once. The last 2 weeks prior to the Showdown he averages 1 goal and 13 touches. Hardly 'fine form'. Granted Walker is leading goal assists but would say overall he has underwhelmed this year.

Elite Crow

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Mar 21, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Disagree. Since Rd 6 Walker has only kicked 4 or more goals once. The last 2 weeks prior to the Showdown he averages 1 goal and 13 touches. Hardly 'fine form'. Granted Walker is leading goal assists but would say overall he has underwhelmed this year.
If he's leading combined goals and goal assists for the whole comp, how the hell can he have underwhelmed? By your metric every forward below him must have also underwhelmed.

Dream Daddy

Debutant
Aug 3, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
If he's leading combined goals and goal assists for the whole comp, how the hell can he have underwhelmed? By your metric every forward below him must have also underwhelmed.
A very low output year for forwards. 60 goals will win the Coleman.

Stats can work both ways champ

Elite Crow

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Mar 21, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
A very low output year for forwards. 60 goals will win the Coleman.

Stats can work both ways champ
I prefer to be called champion.

So every forward has underwhelmed, we should just scrap forwards as they are all having underwhelming seasons.

beartoo

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 27, 2004
Moana Heights Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide

Then we'll agree to disagree. An average over two weeks means nothing whatever. Thirteen touches is okay for a key forward. Our skipper's impact is measured by more than how many touches he gets or goals he kicks in any case. He has been instrumental in most games in the 2nd half of the season.

Dream Daddy

Debutant
Aug 3, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
I prefer to be called champion.

So every forward has underwhelmed, we should just scrap forwards as they are all having underwhelming seasons.
Not far from the truth really - most forwards have underwhelmed. At different stages Franklin, Danniher, Brown, Hawkins, Tex, Riewoldt have all gone through VERY quiet patches.

Kennedy the most consistent but his output has been affected injuries

John Who

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 16, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Not far from the truth really - most forwards have underwhelmed. At different stages Franklin, Danniher, Brown, Hawkins, Tex, Riewoldt have all gone through VERY quiet patches.

Kennedy the most consistent but his output has been affected injuries
I think you're focusing purely on the stat sheets. Tex's value as captain is about what he can get out of his playing group. Us being in the position that we're in (AFL ladder position) and the forwards clicking very well, I would daresay Tex has been a major factor in this. Also on an individual level, Tex is notably "taking the game on" more with his dont-argues and mixing up his left and right kicks, and showing us more the evasive skills that most big forwards can only dream of!

Sep 7, 2005
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
LA Rams, UCLA Bruins
Yeah, our forwards are very underwhelming

They all should be ashamed of themselves. We've only kicked 240 more points than any other team :drunk:

Do you not think it may have something to do with our system? And the fact that walker doesn't kick 4 every week? Maybe the individual is just a part of a team where we have multiple avenues to goal?

And of course the big names are going to have quiet games! Do you think every opposition coach and team is going to let the best run around un-marked?

Seriously?

He was very very significant against both Collingwood and the Bulldogs.

He's only playing starring roles as a key forward 4/6ths of the time. Loser.

He had four goal assists against Collingwood. That's not insignificant.

Tex has never been a big bag forward, and needless to say those days of a forward routinely kicking 4+ are just about dead. You also have to factor in our forward line, and the fact it's stacked like crazy which will also limit the amount of goals everyone kicks (on top of it not being everything a forward does).

Tex this season is closer to an AA berth then he has been to underwhelming. He's pretty much nailing every KPI a forward has really.

CrowsAlways83

Senior List
Mar 26, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
You'd also have to factor in that he's a freaking CHF.

Exactly. It is really going to give me the sh*** if he doesn't make the AA team to be honest - he is currently 5th in the race for the Coleman, when you look at the other 4 players they don't play anywhere close to the role he does, apart from Franklin. The selectors should be amazed that given how our forward line as a unit performs he is still leading our goalkicking, plus goal assists. Yet there is this stupid fascination with looking purely at how many goals the player has kicked, and they just include the top 2-3 with no consideration of what other aspects they bring. If you wanted a killer forward line, I would have Tex and Franklin in, because both would be capable of switching between FF and CHF easily, then have another tall forward like Kennedy - given Franklins athleticism I don't think it would be too top heavy that way. Instead I can see them including Brown over Tex which is just ridiculous.

John Who

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 16, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Tex is a prime reason why you don't just look at stats for the total amount of player impact on a game. His 60m bombs are as good as 2 medium range kicks to advantage. His left foot switch from right foot, is as good as a 1-2 handball to another player. Stats alone doesn't mean jack unless you witness the game and understand what stats "to add numbers", and what stats mean "impact".

Last edited:
Another moment from the game.

We're up by about 78 points at the time- after he takes the mark that leads to his goal with 3 minutes left in the last quarter, as he's walking back he starts yelling out to Eddie who's standing nearby day dreaming and on my lip reading says something like 'what are you doing'.

Eddie then seems to wake up and starts directing players / gets towards the goal square himself in case it fell short.

That's some leadership right there. He could have been forgiven for focusing on his own set shot, and he could have easily just formed the view that it didnt matter at this point yet instead he stayed on his team mates back insisting that we do everything right right down to the final siren. Not a junior player either, a star in his own right.

Oh captain my captain.

And we haven't played Sydney yet

Must be counting the teams that were in the 8 when we played them, because I just checked and it doesn't quite line up with the current 8. If you go by the 8 before our game (before we knocked essendon out of the 8) but still count tonight's goals then it's 26.

He has kicked 35 goals (from 11 games) against the current top 11 though.

Back