Rumour Busted Patrick Cripps heading home to WA

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Two top 5 picks and a top 10 pick, huh?

Maybe if we pool together with Freo we can get that together and share him for 11 games each. Be a pain in the arse if both teams make finals, though...

Seriously, what a ridiculous demand. If Cripps wanted to return to WA Carlton would get the best his nominated club could offer. If it was us they'd get our first pick (borderline top 10) and some combo of future picks/later picks/players. To actually get two top 5 picks (one of them will be Carlton anyway) to go with our first pick we'd need to trade out say Gaff, Shuey & Duggan + picks to actually get them.
Interesting exercise to line him up against Judd. We gave the Eagles pick 3 (which you used on Masten) Kennedy (who was a pick 4 a couple of years prior) and pick 20 (which you used on Tony Notte). We got Judd and pick 46 (which we used on Dennis Armfield). Interesting where Cripps would rate against Judd as a tradeable commodity (younger but nowhere near as many runs on the board.
Its funny that West Coast benefited from our drafting in this trade (Kennedy) as theirs was pretty ordinary (not too many times that a Carlton supporter can say that back then).
If an uncontracted Kelly is worth two firsts, Treloar worth 2 X 7's and Gibbs' asking price appears to be 2 firsts then a contracted Cripps would be worth a fair bit.
Moot point of course as I am pretty confident that Pat will be a blue for life provided that we look after him and show continued improvement. Just strikes me as that sort of person. Pretty happy that he's a blue.

Interesting exercise to line him up against Judd.

Not really.

Judd was the best player in the comp in the period leading up to his trade (*not at the time of his trade, started 2007 like a train but faded in the second half of the year after he injured his groin), Cripps is not. He is two years younger, yes.

Carlton also had picks 1 & 3 and a WA kid drafted at pick 4 two years earlier, we do not have equivalent bargaining chips. Freo don't either, for the sake of clarity. Trades are largely a function of what clubs have to offer. People laugh at Hawthorn for their 2016 trade period but they effectively gave up their first & second round picks for 2016 and 2017 and pick 23 which they got for Brad Hill who was already leaving, in order to get O'Meara and Mitchell in. Collingwood gave up pick 7 and what ended up being pick 8 the following year for Treloar and 28. Geelong 9, 28 and Gore for Dangerfield. Beams 5, 25 and Crisp. All what they had.

If Cripps was traded to WC it would probably be for a first round pick and future first round pick (perhaps with change) and Carlton fans would be disappointed because Cripps is a known quantity and draft picks aren't. That's trading.[/QUOTE]

If Cripps wanted to return to WA Carlton would get the best his nominated club could offer.
but he is contracted. of course an uncontracted cripps would yield far less.... as i already stated. that's not to say carlton have NO leverage even when he is out of contract.

when murph hands off the captaincy to him in a year or two it'll be put to bed for good.

Perhaps I should've phrased it as 'if Carlton come to trade terms it will be...'. Key point is that if Cripps left Carlton wouldn't be happy with the trade compo they received.

If I was Carlton I'd prefer Cripps to pretty much anything WC could offer. Shuey and Gaff are signed up long term, Naitanui, McGovern and Barrass are from WA, Kennedy is 30... it'd be a combination of picks from a mid table side which isn't really what you want, but that's trading. We weren't happy losing Judd, Adelaide weren't happy losing Danger etc.

Not really.

Judd was the best player in the comp in the period leading up to his trade (*not at the time of his trade, started 2007 like a train but faded in the second half of the year after he injured his groin), Cripps is not. He is two years younger, yes.
there was massive concern his osteitus pubis would hamper the rest of his career. wce were strongly criticized for drilling him too hard when he was clearly struggling.

Perhaps I should've phrased it as 'if Carlton come to trade terms it will be...'. Key point is that if Cripps left Carlton wouldn't be happy with the trade compo they received.

If I was Carlton I'd prefer Cripps to pretty much anything WC could offer. Shuey and Gaff are signed up long term, Naitanui, McGovern and Barrass are from WA, Kennedy is 30... it'd be a combination of picks from a mid table side which isn't really what you want, but that's trading. We weren't happy losing Judd, Adelaide weren't happy losing Danger etc.
even those players are on the old side for our progression.

carlton would "want" (imo) first rd, future first rd and a significant young player you don't want to part with. the quality of the young player would be scaled to the position of the first round pick. like if you won the flag, it would have to be a pretty good young player.

even those players are on the old side for our progression.

carlton would "want" (imo) first rd, future first rd and a significant young player you don't want to part with. the quality of the young player would be scaled to the position of the first round pick. like if you won the flag, it would have to be a pretty good young player.

We don't really have that player, though. I think Duggan and Nelson have bright futures, but they're not Cripps. If Cripps was on offer we'd sacrifice one of those guys a la Kennedy no worries.

We don't really have that player, though. I think Duggan and Nelson have bright futures, but they're not Cripps. If Cripps was on offer we'd sacrifice one of those guys a la Kennedy no worries.
maybe a third club could come into the mix, all sorts of possibilities.

if the guy sincerely just wanted to get back home, you'd be competing with freo for his services which would raise the price.

if wce were after a bargain he could always go into the draft. i'm not above playing that card.

We'd do our best, but ultimately the strength of your trade position is built on what draft picks you have. St Kilda will have something like pick 3 & pick 10 this year. That puts them in a very strong position if any player wants to go there. If that was us and we said 'no you can't have those picks for Cripps' then that'd be unreasonable on our part, but when you have pick 12 & 30 or something you can't just make a team give you pick 5. Carlton will probably have a top 5 pick and if we wanted it as trade currency for something else you'd ask for a lot, and you reach a point where you're giving up too much to try and get what a club thinks one player is worth. Freo will probably have pick 7 or 8 which is slightly better. Ideally if a top player leaves you want them to go to a team that at least has an early pick.

I maintain that one reason Judd chose Carlton was their trade currency. They could give West Coast an early pick and a player or similar without gutting their list. It didn't work out in the end but he arrived to join 3 #1 picks in a row and a top key forward, which is desirable to the incoming player. You don't want to be the guy coming in that's forcing everyone else out.

Anyway Cripps is contracted and not exactly playing like a guy who doesn't want to be there. I doubt he's going anywhere, but if we want him we're dumb to chase him while he's contracted anyway.

We'd do our best, but ultimately the strength of your trade position is built on what draft picks you have. St Kilda will have something like pick 3 & pick 10 this year. That puts them in a very strong position if any player wants to go there. If that was us and we said 'no you can't have those picks for Cripps' then that'd be unreasonable on our part, but when you have pick 12 & 30 or something you can't just make a team give you pick 5. Carlton will probably have a top 5 pick and if we wanted it as trade currency for something else you'd ask for a lot, and you reach a point where you're giving up too much to try and get what a club thinks one player is worth. Freo will probably have pick 7 or 8 which is slightly better. Ideally if a top player leaves you want them to go to a team that at least has an early pick.

I maintain that one reason Judd chose Carlton was their trade currency. They could give West Coast an early pick and a player or similar without gutting their list. It didn't work out in the end but he arrived to join 3 #1 picks in a row and a top key forward, which is desirable to the incoming player. You don't want to be the guy coming in that's forcing everyone else out.

Anyway Cripps is contracted and not exactly playing like a guy who doesn't want to be there. I doubt he's going anywhere, but if we want him we're dumb to chase him while he's contracted anyway.

I always thought that with Judd as we didn't have to disrupt the whole list in order to get him in. Pies had pick 14 in 07 to which they would of had to offer 2 decent players on top of that.

The Judd deal was fine for us, our crappy recruiting after he came was the issue. It's just history is rewritten to claim we sold the farm for Judd which is why we didn't win a flag.

I always thought that with Judd as we didn't have to disrupt the whole list in order to get him in. Pies had pick 14 in 07 to which they would of had to offer 2 decent players on top of that.

The Judd deal was fine for us, our crappy recruiting after he came was the issue. It's just history is rewritten to claim we sold the farm for Judd which is why we didn't win a flag.

We were a key forward short of being a premiership contender for a year or 2 there. Ironic, considering we traded one.

If only Fev wasn't such a knob...

Cripps aint coming home, I work with someone who is good mates with a cousin of Cripps and when asked at a family function last year if he was coming home he said ( paraphrased ) why would I leave Melbourne ? no travel, lifestyle and good contract.

We were a key forward short of being a premiership contender for a year or 2 there. Ironic, considering we traded one.

If only Fev wasn't such a knob...
It's a pity free agency didn't exist then. We would of topped up and pushed for a top4 possible premiership back then.

Which is why this time around we will do it properly. Talented kids in the same age bracket with a few top ups when we need to. You could look at the top 4 contenders right now and easily find what they're missing. GWS - talented KPD, GEE - ruckman, ADE - extra mid with class and leadership, RICH - extra forward and elite kicking mid.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Said he wants to stay and win a premiership.
Just reading that he had a hairline fracture of the jaw (from the Lewis incident which we knew about) and potential broken ribs (news to all outside the club) this season and didn't miss a game. Walked off with the broken leg as well. Tough bugger. Should be cherry ripe for 2018.

The WA clubs would struggle to find the cap space for the likes of Cripps wouldn't they? Unless of course they were sending some big contracted players the other way

The WA clubs would struggle to find the cap space for the likes of Cripps wouldn't they? Unless of course they were sending some big contracted players the other way
Eagles are retiring Priddis, Mitchell and possibly Butler and LeCras, there will be a fair few delists as well.. Eagles will definitely have enough money to trade big this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back