Hampden Football League Season 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

Port V South will be a huge one this weekend. I think we will find out how good Port really is, I'm certain that the loss and slow games lately is just a part them getting a little bored with poor opposition. The game will be an interesting one: Nicholoson needs to be stopped as a goal kicker but can Harry Lee get the job done? Ruck is interesting is Sandow up to a mover like Robinson? and then of course Sully and Rudolph how do South deal with them? Id love to hear some other peoples thoughts on this contest?

In other games we may see this week shape the 5 a little. Hamilton V North: I think Hamilton could get it done here, North will go in knowing they have to play well thats for sure.

Warrnambool V Terang is a big one for both clubs. It's a hard one to pick but maybe Terang coming off a loss will bounce back.

Cobden V Koroit may have been a great game but it seems Levi has let his team down in a big way! Saying that though they will still be hard to beat!

On a side note great to see Feely playing some great footy again, bad luck for South with Saunders and what a let down Camperdown has been do date.

Went and watched Portland play Port Fairy yesterday, first time I've seen Port Fairy this year. Obviously they are way above the Tigers in playing personnel, be nice to have players of that caliber running around for your team.
The Tigers at times moved the ball really well and quick, but in the end it was like a team of kids with a sprinkling of decent senior players against a talent laden well drilled side.
Portland have the bones of a good side like they have had every season since they have been in this league just need to get some decent recruits or get back some of the players they have lost since joining the league.
This season has been an absolute disaster with injuries, yesterday they lost Cam Mather to a knee and Jay Moody to an ankle.

Portland promised a lot last year but were very inconsistent. This year they have gone backwards. I know Port Fairy have been the best team to date so far, but I got this gut feeling about Koroit. Once Koroit get's everyone back, come September with their finals experience they will match Port Fairy. Koroit are a more even spread side. Koroit's form has been built up gradually, as u see now they are thumping sides even more then the Roosters. Koroit and Port Fairy will fight out the granny and Souths will finish 3rd. Cobden and North will make up the top 5. I see Warrnambool are in form and finishing 5th wouldn't be out of reach for them. But will finish 6th. I would love to see Hamilton get more competitive.

Hi guys. Down from geelong this weekend down your way and interested in either watch terang mortlake v north warrnambool or cobden v portland. Which game will be better in your guys opinion and who out of terang and conden has better crowd support/atmosphere at games? This will prob be my only chance to watch a game so wanna make the best choice. Cheers

Hi guys. Down from geelong this weekend down your way and interested in either watch terang mortlake v north warrnambool or cobden v portland. Which game will be better in your guys opinion and who out of terang and conden has better crowd support/atmosphere at games? This will prob be my only chance to watch a game so wanna make the best choice. Cheers

Probably Terang and North. The Bloods won last time but North are in better form now. Might win by 5 goals for example. Cobden could destroy Portland.

Warrnambool v South Warrnambool would be the closest match of the round, followed by Koroit v Camperdown. Problem with a lot of w'bool fans is a lot of them want to sit behind the glasshouse of the social club, which makes the outer less full. We do get cold winters in W'bool.

Koroit plays Port Fairy this week at Victoria Park. Koroit's form is hot and I believe this game will be close. Those 2 will play off in the granny and I believe Koroit's grand finals experience will put them in good stead. In fact Koroit can win it or it will be close. South on form are not as good as the top 2, due to no A grade key fwds apart from Shan Becks. Souths dont have a lot of goalkickers really and need to play 4 quarters of football. Still having a great year. We wil see if Brent Moloney and Ollie Lee will help them a lot. Bringing Lou Herbert at finals time has a disadvantage where him and his new teammates are not use to playing with each other. North Warrnambool are gradually coming back to form. Who do u guys think will win between Koroit and Port Fairy this SAt? Also who's the premiership favourites?

Hamilton and Portland! Any thoughts on the value they have in the league after 4-5 seasons? Yes they have made the comp into a 10 team league which looks great on paper, but surely if both those clubs had their time again they would have stayed in the WBFL and at least remained competitive for their supporters!

Hamilton and Portland! Any thoughts on the value they have in the league after 4-5 seasons? Yes they have made the comp into a 10 team league which looks great on paper, but surely if both those clubs had their time again they would have stayed in the WBFL and at least remained competitive for their supporters!
As a Portland supporter I must admit this season I have had the same thought, we just can't attract big name recruits or hold on to our good kids. The reasons for that are varied of course, but it seems the days of really good Portland teams are a distant memory.
We used to have good sides made up mainly of good local players, not just kids but big bodied senior players. I know this league is a significant step up but I'm sure we still would've been very competitive 5 years ago or more.
You can also see it in the crowds, never seen such small crowds at Hanlon Park. They need to recruit a "big" name player and that may entice some players back.
Just my thoughts.

G'day boys

went to Port and Koroit out at Vic Park sat...pretty amazing day. Biggest crowd I have seen at a non final for a long time. Lots of WDFL people, 97 reserves and 2007 senior reunion helped too. After a close 1st quarter - it was all Koroit esp with contested ball. First use from Hausler set Harrington, O'Conner and Hoy up. Boxhead is still a very good player and McIntyre continues to improve esp as a half forward. I was really surprised by Evans coaching...why would you send your best and most dangerous player in Nicholson to try and negate B.head?There is no doubt that Port still has the most dangerous and talented top end list, but as i said months ago, I'm not convinced their no's 15-21 are going to get the job done esp if the stars are quiet or held- as they were sat.

Koroit are really well coached and drilled and clearly know how to play tempo footy and hold onto the ball, whereas Port seemed to want to dump it long (esp Holmer) to an isolated player in Nicholson and while successful when you have time and space- under pressure it can lead to turn overs which we saw on Sat.
The father of a star recruit for port was overheard saying "Let's see how the old &^%$ go on the Reid in September"
Really?

That aside -it will count for little come September other than they both know their best is good enough to handle each other.

Any feedback form Terang/Mortlake v South....what happened there?

Looks like this thread is dead..Hampden Mad has gone the way of the Dodo or is it simply his beloved blues and their demise that has stymied his output- either way - that will do me too. As a parting salvo here are a few thoughts...adios Hampden thread..it has been fun.

1. John Cook has been marched
2. Port Fairy golf day $1000 per team plus GST and they titled it Hampden League Finals launch...please!!!
3. Their points allocation is ridiculous - don't care as much about huge match payments....that is never sustainable and very rarely works...if they can generate that sort of cash, good luck to them but it should be a level playing field re points--a cloud over HFNL flag if they win for me.
4. Fingers crossed for Adam Wines and sincere thoughts to family- shocking accident
5. Hamilton admin need a big set of mirrors to have a good look at themselves- they have the cash but can't bring it together...time running out for me- external help needed.
6. South experiment re B. Moloney has been a unmitigated failure- this from South people not me...question on how bad his string actually is? Leave him out and keep playing some the juniors we consistently hear about.
7. James boys going back to qualify for Norf Weagles under 18 comp is strange and short sighted in my opinion. They are in the best 21 senior players- leave them there and try to win that flag..does an under 18 flag really matter that much? No doubt a another child will be flat as they miss out on playing in a final.
8. Finally my best list
a. Ground- Mortlake or Port
b. Afternoon tea- Terang/Mortlake
c. Jumper- W'bool (not that away shocker)
d. Coach- C. McLaren by a distance... followed by L Crane.
e. Bar/Fire- Hamilton
f. Raffle- Cobden
g. Road trip- Portland
h. Player- D.Nicholson
i. Team - Port- if looking at their top end list / Koroit if considering evenness and record

Worst
a. Ground- Bushfield.
b. Afternoon tea - cant knock volunteers
c. jumper- Port...it's purple for god's sake...purple!!
d. coach- ahhh ..cant do it ...fill this space yourself
e. Bar- Warrnambool...never any warrnambool supporters there so it is always as dead as a dead dingoes donger
f. Raffle - Portland...got hit up for 4 different ones !!
g. Road trip- no such thing
h. Player-Anthony Mahoney
i- Team- They wont like this, but most clubs simply do not like Norf W'bool...don't believe me? ..ask around... but to be fair to them they are doing lots right, esp juniors and they play on on 40 points so.......the prize goes to Hamilton....not because they are unliked- far from it- Matt Dunn and co seem to be really good people but with nearly 10,000 people in the town, cash reserves, revenue outlets, high schools and a surrounding district to pull from..they as a club really need to get their s**t together and stop making excuses- reeks of some arrogant blue bloods with head in the sand. Harsh but tell me otherwise

2107 _ HFNL Premiers- Port should win but will be nervous if Koroit can have a full, fit list to choose from. Can't see any others bridging the gap.

AFL- Go cats on Saturday and all those Richmond supporters with the saw dust on their shoulders can cry me a river re game at the G...why would we do that? Premiers- GWS to defeat Sydney

Over & Out

Last edited:
Looks like this thread is dead..Hampden Mad has gone the way of the Dodo or is it simply his beloved blues and their demise that has stymied his output- either way - that will do me too. As a parting salvo here are a few thoughts...adios Hampden thread..it has been fun.

1. John Cook has been marched
2. Port Fairy golf day $1000 per team plus GST and they titled it Hampden League Finals launch...please!!!
3. Their points allocation is ridiculous - don't care as much about huge match payments....that is never sustainable and very rarely works...if they can generate that sort of cash, good luck to them but it should be a level playing field re points--a cloud over HFNL flag if they win for me.
4. Fingers crossed for Adam Wines and sincere thoughts to family- shocking accident
5. Hamilton admin need a big set of mirrors to have a good look at themselves- they have the cash but can't bring it together...time running out for me- external help needed.
6. South experiment re B. Moloney has been a unmitigated failure- this from South people not me...question on how bad his string actually is? Leave him out and keep playing some the juniors we consistently hear about.
7. James boys going back to qualify for Norf Weagles under 18 comp is strange and short sighted in my opinion. They are in the best 21 senior players- leave them there and try to win that flag..does an under 18 flag really matter that much? No doubt a another child will be flat as they miss out on playing in a final.
8. Finally my best list
a. Ground- Mortlake or Port
b. Afternoon tea- Terang/Mortlake
c. Jumper- W'bool (not that away shocker)
d. Coach- C. McLaren by a distance... followed by L Crane.
e. Bar/Fire- Hamilton
f. Raffle- Cobden
g. Road trip- Portland
h. Player- D.Nicholson
i. Team - Port- if looking at their top end list / Koroit if considering evenness and record

Worst
a. Ground- Bushfield.
b. Afternoon tea - cant knock volunteers
c. jumper- Port...it's purple for god's sake...purple!!
d. coach- ahhh ..cant do it ...fill this space yourself
e. Bar- Warrnambool...never any warrnambool supporters there so it is always as dead as a dead dingoes donger
f. Raffle - Portland...got hit up for 4 different ones !!
g. Road trip- no such thing
h. Player- Nich Alexandrou- Wbool
i- Team- They wont like this, but most clubs simply do not like Norf W'bool...don't believe me? ..ask around... but to be fair to them they are doing lots right, esp juniors and they play on on 40 points so.......the prize goes to Hamilton....not because they are unliked- far from it- Matt Dunn and co seem to be really good people but with nearly 10,000 people in the town, cash reserves, revenue outlets, high schools and a surrounding district to pull from..they as a club really need to get their s**t together and stop making excuses- reeks of some arrogant blue bloods with head in the sand. Harsh but tell me otherwise

2107 _ HFNL Premiers- Port should win but will be nervous if Koroit can have a full, fit list to choose from. Can't see any others bridging the gap.

AFL- Go cats on Saturday and all those Richmond supporters with the saw dust on their shoulders can cry me a river re game at the G...why would we do that? Premiers- GWS to defeat Sydney

Over & Out
Have to agree Caritas this thread is dead, as soon as HampdenMad stopped posting everything stopped!
A few of us tried to keep it going but nobody ever replied.
Shame really.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have to agree Caritas this thread is dead, as soon as HampdenMad stopped posting everything stopped!
A few of us tried to keep it going but nobody ever replied.
Shame really.
I think people are not posting because they are more interested in other social media forms such as facebook. Brent Moloney has only produced average performances and probably needs more time to improve. His running game is not there. Port Fairy probably needed extra points because they dont have the population nor a big catchment. Koroit are firm flag favorites, got the best coach and a very even experienced spread side. Campdown, Cobden and Terang are the worst trips because they are boring towns. I do hear about North have high opinions of themselves. Don't know why when they have not won any premierships. Most W'bool fans during home games are inside and that's why the outer is dead. Wouldnt be suprised if they get a new coach in 2018, if they are not performing this year. Hamilton and Portland need to do some serious big name recruiting.

I think people are not posting because they are more interested in other social media forms such as facebook. Brent Moloney has only produced average performances and probably needs more time to improve. His running game is not there. Port Fairy probably needed extra points because they dont have the population nor a big catchment. Koroit are firm flag favorites, got the best coach and a very even experienced spread side. Campdown, Cobden and Terang are the worst trips because they are boring towns. I do hear about North have high opinions of themselves. Don't know why when they have not won any premierships. Most W'bool fans during home games are inside and that's why the outer is dead. Wouldnt be suprised if they get a new coach in 2018, if they are not performing this year. Hamilton and Portland need to do some serious big name recruiting.

Port are 30 kms down the road from Warrnambool - Koroit doesn't need a big catchment area to be successful, they manage to find / recruit players. And yes I have heard they only pay $60.00 a win;) To say Port need the extra points ???? pleeeeeassse. Anyhow let them win the premiership and they will once again drop down the ladder. Agree 100% that Hampden Mad kept this site going - he was great value. Warrnambool do need to get off the ar#es and get active - perhaps they have lost the hunger? South have had a real dip this year recruiting wise - well done to them. Cobden have done well and have a good junior programme in place. Camperdown are spinning the wheels a bit.
BTW a nice entertaining post by Caritas.

Koroit coach Chris McLaren recommits for second year at the helm of the Hampden league club...warrnambool standard.

"And yes it is a stop gap, albeit not a bad option still a stop gap. It was the right call he stepped aside because they were never going to be the force they are now whilst under McLaren. I would bet my last dime they will have a different coach in 2018." H Mad

We all get it wrong now and then mate....need a loan?

Koroit coach Chris McLaren recommits for second year at the helm of the Hampden league club...warrnambool standard.

"And yes it is a stop gap, albeit not a bad option still a stop gap. It was the right call he stepped aside because they were never going to be the force they are now whilst under McLaren. I would bet my last dime they will have a different coach in 2018." H Mad

We all get it wrong now and then mate....need a loan?

Might go through your old posts to see what you have got wrong - a pretty weak and cheap shot by you. If posters like Hampden Mad still contributed regularly this site wouldn't be as lame and as irrelevant as it is, probably a bit like the Hampden League. HM should be encouraged not ridiculed, he is sorely missed.

Premiership race is wide open now. Any remaining teams on their good day are capable of winning it. Cobden are in red hot form. They beat Port Fairy, now they have smacked Norths and Souths. Yesterday I thought they were to quick and used the ball better then Souths. Forward line was good 2. Souths just turned ball over and got fwd lines issues. Koroit has got the experience to help their premiership campaign. Reid Oval will suit Port Fairy as they got more mobility and classier big men. Cobden are young and keen but being inexperience could cost them. It's really hard to tip who is going to win the flag. Cobden never had a bye in the finals and that make them flat later on. I wanna see Port Fairy win because they have only won 1 flag and that was nearly 60 years a go. At Souths, Maddern has retired from senior Footy and Eagleson is doubtful coming back as he lives in Mt Gambier and a fair age. He might go back to Casterton. Cheers!

Get some funny stories over the years when some of these cocky footy/netball teams get in the Grand Final, they have these premiership T-shirts printed up before the game. Thing is they unexpectedly lose and have to turf the T-shirts out. It's been happening in a lot of comps in this region over the last couple decades. I won't name any teams in this post. Good to be confident but u don't need to get over confident...lol I'm not implying that any teams this week have got the T-shirts already made.

Any of u guys who was at the Granny, please comment on the game! Half of the game was in wet conditions. Port had a lot of the play but didnt convert. Last quarter Koroit had all the play while there was 1 on the bench for Port. I thought Koroit were better users of the ball and had a better spread of talent. Defended well 2. Port's fwd line was not functioning well.

Any of u guys who was at the Granny, please comment on the game! Half of the game was in wet conditions. Port had a lot of the play but didnt convert. Last quarter Koroit had all the play while there was 1 on the bench for Port. I thought Koroit were better users of the ball and had a better spread of talent. Defended well 2. Port's fwd line was not functioning well.
I wasn't there, but did read and hear re the HUGE crowd that was there. They may have to do something about that as I guess the crowds will only grow

Remove this Banner Ad

Back