Mega Thread The 2017 'Buckley's Chances' Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So your saying this extensive review they are in the middle of doing doesnt include the senior coach? Ed's already given him the green light?

Well im shocked.
Who honestly thought Ed would be impartial in his decision here, club's bordering on becoming a farce. Mediocrity is the pass mark, and as members we deserve so much more than that.

The Buckley supporters will be happy doing cartwheels while the Collingwood supporters will be wondering why has our club become a play thing for a few.
The bolded could be one of the better/more well put statements I've seen in some time.

The club needs a breathe of fresh air. 2 most important positions that need to change in my opinion are head coach and defensive coach.

Head coach: Obviously currently Bucks, i hate myself for saying he has to go because i really do love the bloke. Was an idol growing up and i hate it when people hate Buckley himself when they know dam well he has tried everything he can for this club, it's just he wasn't good enough. Some have it and some don't. But anyway, this position needs to change, it has been long enough now, Bucks has had enough chances. Ideal replacement: Stuart Dew, he has done an amazing apprenticeship under a few different good coaches. He would have to be ready.

Defensive coach: Currently Robert Harvey, i don't really rate Harvs as a coach, was mids coach last year and by memory we were a poor clearance side despite having a great midfield. Moved to defense this year (why?) and our defensive structures have constantly been questioned. Ideal replacement: ??? Honestly not to sure, if anyone has any suggestions feel free.

Derek Hines position i expect to come under a lot of heat as well.

In hindsight I would have made that prima donna "Heath Shaw" (our poster boy) play reserves for half a year until his head deflated.......but we chose to go down a different (failed) path.

Pert was the architect of the Culture revolution......him going is a good start for me anyway.... .

Heath Shaw did a great job when he ran down Riewoldt "like a librarian" in the 2010 GF replay - I wonder where / how it all went wrong?
Why are you so adamant Pert was the "architect" of the culture revolution?

Since the conclusion of the 2013 season we have had 45 players walk out the door. In that time we have been uncompetitive. There is no logical reason to re-sign Buckley. He has failed, there is no denying it.
Some have walked out, some have been marched out, some couldn't get out quick enough, some duds have been allowed IN the door then shown another door etc etc - the majority of the coaching panel have remained though - guess they know which door to go to to get their (sizeable) pay cheques

Last edited:
The club needs a breathe of fresh air. 2 most important positions that need to change in my opinion are head coach and defensive coach.

Head coach: Obviously currently Bucks, i hate myself for saying he has to go because i really do love the bloke. Was an idol growing up and i hate it when people hate Buckley himself when they know dam well he has tried everything he can for this club, it's just he wasn't good enough. Some have it and some don't. But anyway, this position needs to change, it has been long enough now, Bucks has had enough chances. Ideal replacement: Stuart Dew, he has done an amazing apprenticeship under a few different good coaches. He would have to be ready.

Defensive coach: Currently Robert Harvey, i don't really rate Harvs as a coach, was mids coach last year and by memory we were a poor clearance side despite having a great midfield. Moved to defense this year (why?) and our defensive structures have constantly been questioned. Ideal replacement: ??? Honestly not to sure, if anyone has any suggestions feel free.

You've changed man.

Since the conclusion of the 2013 season we have had 45 players walk out the door. In that time we have been uncompetitive. There is no logical reason to re-sign Buckley. He has failed, there is no denying it.
45 wow. Wait for everyone to say they are no good now.. we've lost no one important. Well that's the line that's got pedaled out on here after each season.

I just want Buckley gone and I'll take any coach (Ross Lyon or Brad Scott included) because we badly need a fresh start and a new voice. But the sinister side of me want him to stay just for the reaction on this site and for me also to laugh at Eddie's reasons to justify the decision - which will be very weak at best.

That's why it is taking so long. They can't think of ways to spin it that Buckley actually earned a new contract due to his performance.

Methinks they are waiting for 1 more Collingwood win this season. That way they can say "we won 9 games last season and this year we won 9.5 games - see we have improved as a team".

So your saying this extensive review they are in the middle of doing doesnt include the senior coach? Ed's already given him the green light?

Well im shocked.
Who honestly thought Ed would be impartial in his decision here, club's bordering on becoming a farce. Mediocrity is the pass mark, and as members we deserve so much more than that.

The Buckley supporters will be happy doing cartwheels while the Collingwood supporters will be wondering why has our club become a play thing for a few.

Did I say it was Eddie's call??

Heath Shaw did a great job when he ran down Riewoldt "like a librarian" in the 2010 GF replay - I wonder where / how it all went wrong?
Why are you so adamant Pert was the "architect" of the culture revolution?

Ask Robbo & Caro that question.

I just want Buckley gone and I'll take any coach (Ross Lyon or Brad Scott included) because we badly need a fresh start and a new voice. But the sinister side of me want him to stay just for the reaction on this site and for me also to laugh at Eddie's reasons to justify the decision - which will be very weak at best.

That's why it is taking so long. They can't think of ways to spin it that Buckley actually earned a new contract due to his performance.

Methinks they are waiting for 1 more Collingwood win this season. That way they can say "we won 9 games last season and this year we won 9.5 games - see we have improved as a team".

Peter

It will indeed be Edward's finest work when he publicly spins yet another contract extension for Nathan. Perversely, I am also looking forward to it. Our footy club is being held to ransom by a selfish few so until the whole lot are gone, and genuine authentic change is made (if ever), let them continue on their merry way.

Nathan will receive his contract extension - no doubt. But there is a cavernous difference between receiving a contract extension and deserving one.

And on that note, I still have hadn't a genuine response to my earlier question, why does Nathan DESERVE a contract extension? Concrete evidenced based answers would be greatly appreciated.

I read somewhere that although Carlton has six or so debutants this year that only one of them is an 18 year old draftee from last year?

Is this right? Same as Collingwood?

If so it flies in the face of arguments that bucks should have been playing more kids. Although he's only debuted one this year, part of the reason for that is because of how many he debuted last year ....Crocker wills Phillips cox smith. And that's after trading away the first round pick and parking two banned players on the rookie list! in fact sier ( also injured) is the only draftee on the list not to debut apart from those in this years crop. All of them have been given further opportunity this year, wills the main exception due to injury.

I'm not sure if he should stay or go but playing the kids or otherwise should not be a factor in the decision. Bucks has been doing that.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Its funny that those who have worked with him who dont have an agenda , back him
I feel they would know a bit more than we .
it is far too simplistic to throw the baby out with the bathwater, unless we can get a PROVEN up to date gun , we should stick fat.
No one available is proven, who has the right temprement ( thompson) or is willing.
we wont be getting Roos (lucky), clarkson,pyke and the rest havent shown zip.
The best so called assistant coaches Carltons midfield (lol)
A couple of considerations
finish 13 = easier draw , recruit a couple, more continuity, better assistants all point to a better season just like Richmond
So whats the benchmark,finals?,none on here have really established the benchmark , i still feel that if we had beaten melb, gws, crows and dogs this year were not having this conversation or two more wins last year instead of close loses.
Availability of players is critical , every week the same 4 let us down as we are forced to GIFT games.
we have a list in transition which is only 2 to 3 players of top 4, our forward entries , time in forward half prove it
show paitence

Well im shocked.

Let's not jump the gun yet.
Nathan's appointment and continuation has become a little divisive.
I for one have not been a fan Of the last 6 years.
The last 5 weeks have remarkably produced some of his best coaching.
Who would have thought that we would win without Pendles.

I would be surprised if he survived to serve a new contract.
The review won't be conducted on the last 5 weeks.
The review will be all incompassing.

When members stop paying up and fans stop turning up then the business model is in trouble.

Ed being Ed will have no choice but to make the tough call.

Read my mind
Agree with everything

I am on record as saying Bucks isn't a good coach.........BUT.........yes their is a but the 45 players walking out the door was a CLUB decision.

I am also on record as saying our Culture revolution has been our Clubs biggest mistake.

In hindsight I would have made that prima donna "Heath Shaw" (our poster boy) play reserves for half a year until his head deflated.......but we chose to go down a different (failed) path.

Pert was the architect of the Culture revolution......him going is a good start for me anyway.

I am 99% certain Bucks will be coach in 2018........start the Bucks 2018 thread people........this one is boring.
Call for calm.
Footy is an emotional roller coaster.
Ed has his Footy Show back at Maguire Media.
With some luck he will step away from some of his overbearing yet seemingly unofficial positions at Collingwood.
I saw Gary Pert in tears some weeks back.
I predict the same for Nathan.

Ironically that "poster" boy who was soooo difficult to manage may very well play in another Grand final not too bad for a wild child. Good coaches manage different personalities

So what responsibility does the player have in the maintenance of a good working relationship? None? In the next breath we'll all complain that kids these days have no sense of responsibility, don't respect authority, are too sensitive, don't deal well with criticism and the list goes on.

Another perspective for you. If Shaw has managed to make the right choices at a new club, it suggests that he was always capable of making the right choices. At Collingwood, he chose not to.

Derek Hine should lose his position of list manager and go back to recruiting full time

So what responsibility does the player have in the maintenance of a good working relationship? None? In the next breath we'll all complain that kids these days have no sense of responsibility, don't respect authority, are too sensitive, don't deal well with criticism and the list goes on.

Another perspective for you. If Shaw has managed to make the right choices at a new club, it suggests that he was always capable of making the right choices. At Collingwood, he chose not to.

Not sure it's that simple with Heater. He's had the odd on-field outburst at GWS. Choices are partly a product of your environment - on balance the environment under Leon Cameron at GWS suits Heater far better than the Buckley environment at Cwood. Would have loved Heater in our back line a couple of times this year - eg 2nd half vs Adelaide

Not sure it's that simple with Heater. He's had the odd on-field outburst at GWS. Choices are partly a product of your environment - on balance the environment under Leon Cameron at GWS suits Heater far better than the Buckley environment at Cwood. Would have loved Heater in our back line a couple of times this year - eg 2nd half vs Adelaide
No issue with what we lost on the ground.
I was actually pointing to the fact this it more complex than a coach having issues with man management. It's amazing what a change of environment can do when a player is in his late 20's and realises that certain behaviour may mean the end of his career. Add that they're going pretty well on the field and even I'd back Shaw to make the right decision.
As I said, just another perspective.

No issue with what we lost on the ground.
I was actually pointing to the fact this it more complex than a coach having issues with man management. It's amazing what a change of environment can do when a player is in his late 20's and realises that certain behaviour may mean the end of his career. Add that they're going pretty well on the field and even I'd back Shaw to make the right decision.
As I said, just another perspective.

No worries - I appreciate your civilised reply :).

Some BFs posters go the nuclear option if someone puts up a view 1.5 degrees different to theirs - I'll put that down to the fact that they frustrated, fiery, with a furious passion exacerbated by a prolonged lack of on field success...

Since the Port elimnation final we have averaged over ten list changes per season without making finals. We find ourselves now as far away as ever with a list that has major problems. How Ed can justify re-signing Buckley is beyond me, it makes no sense at all.
I will still buy my membership and cheer Bucks and the team on, but I have no confidence anything will change in terms of win/loss improvement.

How does that compare with every other club?

I get a feeling that on average we will see more churn league wide, particularly around trading. Assume the introduction of the FA rules the major factor in that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back