Phantom Draft Bishop's 2017 Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Excellent!

With the hype around the King boys, the SA duo plus Hill from WA and Thomas from Tassie it looks like Blakey is going to be back end of top 10 at best. It's early doors but is that the way you see the top 6 looking for next year? What's your range for Blakey and based on that should we be trying to bank points through this years trade period if we are able to?

I think Blakey's bid comes in a similar range to Jack Bowes last year (so around that late 8-10 mark). There's certainly others such as Curtis Taylor/Sam Walsh I'd have right up there at this point in time, so I don't really see a clear breakout group bar the Top 2 for me.

I wouldn't worry about banking points and I don't think Sydney will do that. He isn't 100% Sydney, though most likely - no point banking points for him to decide mid next year he will pick North .

I'm sure Sydney will be creative in the trade period over the next two years, they have one of the best list managers going around - so they'll have no issues.

Blakey will choose the Lions as a father son anotherletdown.;):cool:

I posted on the BL board the other week
"Spoke to someone close to Nick who is in the know - Sydney the most likely, but definitely considering North Melbourne. Doesn't really have Brisbane in his frame of mind."

If only we had one.

Doesn't mean they aren't trying to get back into the 2nd round! I know a few clubs who are planning just that - easier said than done though !!

Are we one of those clubs planning on getting back into the 2nd round?

Won't comment on individual clubs.

It's a smart move, recognise the lack of depth past the 2nd round so try and move your 3rd rounder up etc. Might take some creative movement, such as next year's picks for example. But depends how desperate you are!

It's a smart move, recognise the lack of depth past the 2nd round so try and move your 3rd rounder up etc. Might take some creative movement, such as next year's picks for example. But depends how desperate you are!
If we happen to land Kelly and he costs us our two top 10ish picks then I could definitely see us being extremely keen to do so, as you wouldn't want to be starting off in R3 of this draft by the sounds of it!

Excellent!

With the hype around the King boys, the SA duo plus Hill from WA and Thomas from Tassie it looks like Blakey is going to be back end of top 10 at best. It's early doors but is that the way you see the top 6 looking for next year? What's your range for Blakey and based on that should we be trying to bank points through this years trade period if we are able to?

Blakey will get nominated before Thomas imo.

I see Thomas as a 8-15 at this stage.

Sometimes I feel clubs that back their Recruiting dept may be willing to trade those picks.. for instance if they feel the players they like are not much different between 25 and 50..why not. Id be happy if Geelong could find another Stewart with a mid draft pick or Menegola with a late pick. Seems to be player out there that will be cheap that are ready to play and in a thin draft year maybe they get more of a go.
On kids..I feel there must be talent there but just how ready it is to play is another question... Geelong have 3 or 4 Rookies all elevated atm. For eg. Zac Guthrie just looks a player who may be OK down the track..after 2 years on thick shakes and gym work. Sometimes I think the sup list are too small.

On another subject.. how much have your seen the Ranges? Tom North worth a look?

Sometimes I feel clubs that back their Recruiting dept may be willing to trade those picks.. for instance if they feel the players they like are not much different between 25 and 50..why not. Id be happy if Geelong could find another Stewart with a mid draft pick or Menegola with a late pick. Seems to be player out there that will be cheap that are ready to play and in a thin draft year maybe they get more of a go.
On kids..I feel there must be talent there but just how ready it is to play is another question... Geelong have 3 or 4 Rookies all elevated atm. For eg. Zac Guthrie just looks a player who may be OK down the track..after 2 years on thick shakes and gym work. Sometimes I think the sup list are too small.

On another subject.. how much have your seen the Ranges? Tom North worth a look?

I was more of a fan of North in May than I am in August - His inside work is pretty good but could be a bit cleaner off his left boot. His clearance and tackling numbers are decent -- and he's CP/UP is about 50/50.

Without Cerra for the rest of the year, Eastern will need him to step up. I'm more intrigued to see how he goes with Mynott/Moore back on the inside in the team. I think he's got some nice traits, agile is good too. Worth a pick 3rd round onwards.

I was more of a fan of North in May than I am in August - His inside work is pretty good but could be a bit cleaner off his left boot. His clearance and tackling numbers are decent -- and he's CP/UP is about 50/50.

Without Cerra for the rest of the year, Eastern will need him to step up. I'm more intrigued to see how he goes with Mynott/Moore back on the inside in the team. I think he's got some nice traits, agile is good too. Worth a pick 3rd round onwards.
What happened to Cerra mate?

These days..im just happy to hear that a player uses his non preferred. R3 pick sounds value to me from what ive read .. thanks for the info.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting that you don't rate Dow, I think the lowest he drops is #4 tbh, especially when he tests at the combine.

North at #2 or #3 will be a big shout, especially factoring in his leg speed in the contest.

Interesting that you don't rate Dow, I think the lowest he drops is #4 tbh, especially when he tests at the combine.

North at #2 or #3 will be a big shout, especially factoring in his leg speed in the contest.

Where was it suggested North was going at #2 or #3?

I read "3rd rounder onward" So pick #40 or later, which makes complete sense.

Where was it suggested North was going at #2 or #3?

I read "3rd rounder onward" So pick #40 or later, which makes complete sense.

North, as in North Melbourne.

The reason is I haven't been down to Geelong Grammar since the U18 Champs. I refuse to buy into other people's thoughts, unlike some on here - who start pushing people up/down on what others think. I'll make my views with my own eyes and rank them how I see it.

I definitely do rate Dow, but when I haven't seen him as much as the others it is harder to get a definitive view. I'll see him 2 out of the next 3 TAC games so that'll be enough. North will definitely be in the shout - but again the Lions could take Dow so it'll be irrelevant.

In saying that, Cerra is being critically underrated and is in the mix for Pick 1.

Rayner/LDU/Cerra/Dow/Coffield - I think they're the only players in the mix for the first 3 picks as it stands today.

Bishop....When will be your next Power Rankings update?

Might wait for another fortnight- want to see some of the Country kids that I haven't seen since the Champs. If I was to update it now, there probably hasn't been a lot of changes for me. The only players I'd push up would be Nathan Murphy who I'd have pushing the top 20 and Ed Newman inside my 35.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back