Autopsy R22, 2017: Swans beat Crows

Remove this Banner Ad

Our drop off in performance from the first half to the second half of a game (and in quarters as well really) is really concerning. Especially our rucks. We started to get smashed in contested possessions after the 1st quarter because the rucking was just not good enough. Not to mention the frees the umps were pulling out of their arses.
I can identify the moment when the weight of frees against us started to take effect.

The constant collapse of momentum takes its toll and a team like Adelaide can take advantage of that.

Last edited:

I can almost identify the moment when the weight of frees against them started to take effect.

The constant collapse of momentum takes its toll and a team like Adelaide can take advantage of that.
True and that sure contributed to it but I sense this in most if not all games we play. Need to play 4 quarters to win finals and the flag for that matter.

I can identify the moment when the weight of frees against us started to take effect.

It was clear the umps were on a mission when the downfield umpire gave a Swans player a free when it was clear as day to the umpire standing 10 metres away with a perfect view. Pannell is a f*cking cheat.
The ump calling a Swans player for holding the ball when there was no tackle made, that was a friggin' joke.

Crows did a Bulldogs at nearly every centre bounce, get tackled, drop the ball, play on.

All they had to do was kick any one of nearly 10 gettable goals and they win.

They missed so many easy shots it was nuts.

That 1 free is negligible in the scheme of things.

I will guarantee the Crows coaches give zero *s about the free all week but will be a little excitable about the need to kick set shots and basic snaps from 30 out near in front.

All they had to do was kick any one of nearly 10 gettable goals and they win.

They missed so many easy shots it was nuts.

That 1 free is negligible in the scheme of things.

I will guarantee the Crows coaches give zero ****s about the free all week but will be a little excitable about the need to kick set shots and basic snaps from 30 out near in front.

You could also argue that they were awarded so many momentum killing free kicks while the Swans had nothing, until the last 5 minutes.

I'm not really sure what to make of the game. At the ground the pressure after like 20 minutes into the game was consistently high. About 10 minutes into the 2ns the Crows were smashing super hard into every contest.

The boys wilted under the unrelenting pressure and let the 5 goal lead slip pretty quickly. To their credit, they reset in the second half and put more emphasis into winning the ball on the half-back line and it paid off.

Sloane was getting frees for nothing and the Swans were well and truly reamed, pretty much buggered with a pineapple.

That was a very big win, certainly one of the best and most important in the last 5 years. True backs against the wall stuff.

Even in the dying seconds Hewitt gets Karate chopped across the neck with the umpire Panell standing 3mtrs away on the correct side of the contest to view it and just ignores it. Why ? For the very ******* reason Hardwick mentioned last week down at Geelong. It is a ******* disgrace that is allowed to happen in a professional sporting competition and what's more to the same the ******* team. Quite honestly sick of our blokes having to go out there most weeks and beat their opposition while also being ******* handicapped by these cheating dogs who obviously are as bitter about the greatness of this club as some of the mentally insane morons that make up the general population of opposition club supporters on Bigfooty. Level Playing field and we are head and ******* shoulders above the rest of this competition.

This!!!!! I have just read this entire thread and couldn't believe no-one mentioned this earlier.
I could not believe that wasn't paid and cannot see any logical reason it wasn't given, it should have resulted in Georgie having a shot! If the ball had gone down the other end and they'd have kicked the winning goal, it would have been far, far more of an injustice than the Betts 50!

I wouldn't worry about Pannell. Ever since Malceski cleaned him up he's been a rubbish umpire. He wa certainly one of the better, consistent umpires 10 years ago, but has a tendency to have shocking matches and make some massive, crucial mistakes.

He won't umpire finals unless there's injuries, and he won't umpire after this year given his age.

He's a great bloke, just no longer any good as an umpire. Shame really.

It was clear the umps were on a mission when the downfield umpire gave a Swans player a free when it was clear as day to the umpire standing 10 metres away with a perfect view. Pannell is a f*cking cheat.
The ump calling a Swans player for holding the ball when there was no tackle made, that was a friggin' joke.

Crows did a Bulldogs at nearly every centre bounce, get tackled, drop the ball, play on.

Troy Pannell gave 17 frees to the Dogs and just 1 to the Crows last year. He seems to be making up for it now! We had him last week and again gave us some soft ones. But he is easily the worst umpire in the AFL.

The umpiring probably evened up your way above normal accuracy and our way below normal accuracy. But bad kicking is bad footy - you guys deserved the win.

Great game. See you in September!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This!!!!! I have just read this entire thread and couldn't believe no-one mentioned this earlier.
I could not believe that wasn't paid and cannot see any logical reason it wasn't given, it should have resulted in Georgie having a shot! If the ball had gone down the other end and they'd have kicked the winning goal, it would have been far, far more of an injustice than the Betts 50!

It is just a perfect example of what we are up against.

Are we finally getting results from plugger and him helping our forwards with goal kicking or was this just an exception? We'll see I guess.

Couldn't agree more. Their best cattle can roll anyone.
Delidio is making them a VERY tough proposition now.
If it's them in the GF we'll need a ' by any means necessary' 1980s attitude. To hell with suspensions the folliwing season.
Long way to go though. Dons might still be a tough proposition in first final. No Fantasia or Green helps though as it's their speed that can hurt us.

20953066_10213696821152233_7731066108520224715_n.jpg

That crows team will be disappointed not To at least make a grand final

Could be 2012 all over again.

Minor premiers. Shock exit. GF goes a bolt out of the blue (us agsin) and the next Dynasty side (GWS) waits in the wings to be Hawks MKII.

First half
BEautiful handball. Under so much pressure yet Macca picks the one good option then executes like it was a training drill, all in the blink of an eye.

I also liked that Horse put him forward late in the game. It's not the first time he's done that but when we needed to get some momentum back it was pretty much a guranteed that Macca was going to kick one against the run of play. If we had two of him I'd have one at both ends. If he goes next year it'll be a huge loss of talent.

Could be 2012 all over again.

Minor premiers. Shock exit. GF goes a bolt out of the blue (us agsin) and the next Dynasty side (GWS) waits in the wings to be Hawks MKII.

I thought last year would be the last chance before the GWS juggernaut three or four peat but given our form and watching them last night, that last chance may actually be this year.

61TBIlJAJLL.png
This (durian) might be more apt than a pineapple (for painful reaming purposes) as it also stinks to high heaven!

Durian's taste all right tbh.

Wouldn't take one on the train though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back