Delisted 15. Matthew Hayball (2016-2018)

Remove this Banner Ad

Just wondering if anyone from the Cats can give me an update on how Matt is tracking? An ex West Adelaide player
(keen supporter) so I'm always interested to see how all the lads drafted from the club are progressing.
Matt showed a bit in the under age, could take a big mark and had a strong leg.
Cheers.

Just wondering if anyone from the Cats can give me an update on how Matt is tracking? An ex West Adelaide player
(keen supporter) so I'm always interested to see how all the lads drafted from the club are progressing.
Cheers.

It is hard to tell as we have only had one VFL practice match so far.

One supporter was at the game and commented:

Hayball - Quite impressive in the first half but faded in the second with a poor turnover resulting in a goal in the 3rd quarter. Has a fantastic leap on him and used it a few times to climb high in a pack situation and spoil the contest. Left his opponent to attack off half back and help set up a goal in the first quarter.

Cheers.

2017 Brownlow Medallist.

I always have doubts on the really skinny players... but Truck Mackie never put on any size and turned into a good player. Haven't seen enough of this guy to make a call yet, his size worries me though.

Doesn't win enough of the ball. Gawn.
Bit harsh on Gawn. He's important to Melbourne. Not sure how his performance effects Geelong though.

I have to agree. Simpson and Zuthrie are passed him now and they were both rookie recruits.
I suspect that all our rookies may survive the end of the year cull due to a number of them being elevated to the senior list. I can really only see AFL listed players being culled.

Waybill on the endangered species list, agreed.
The cult hero who never was.

Of course will all depend on who retires, who wants to jump ship, how many selection we hope to make at the draft, all that kinda stuff.

But I reckon Hayball and Cowan would be having some restless nights sleep in the coming months.

The plan with Hayball was always going to be a 2-3 year proposition before any decisions, but I think his time will come sooner than the later.

The plan with Hayball was always going to be a 2-3 year proposition before any decisions, but I think his time will come sooner than the later.

Hayball, I like your hustle - which is why it was so hard to cut you.

May still survive the end of year cull, as you rightly point out he was always going to take extra time to develop physically - and he is by no means without talent. The games that I have watched though, he has often struggled to get involved in any meaningful way, and is usually tucked away in a back pocket or drifting around on a forward flank. He's a nice kick and a strong mark for his height, but his spot will be under review at the end of the year.

For an under aged selection at the time, as a #70 from NOWHERE -he's done ok.

But he has been passed development wise by those that have arrived after him.

If we cut him, he might see light a re-rookie but even that's not a guarantee.

More than likely gone.

GO Catters

His future depends on where we rate the late picks/rookies this year I would have thought. Having been passed by the entire rookie list would suggest that he's finished, sad to say.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Will never get a senior game. Surely picking up some young kid with a bit of potential would have been a smarter choice. At least there is a slight chance we could have got lucky. They should know hayball by now and know he has no chance.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back