Political Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Make it a preselection requirement too so we don't have half a dozen pollies referred to the High Court
Labor already does this, and I would be very surprised if the other major parties don't update their procedures as a result of this fiasco.

The AEC already asks them to verify that they're not dual citizens, in the nomination forms. I suspect that most of the politicians just doing a "tick & flick", without giving it a second thought. I think they'll be taking things a bit more seriously in the future.

Just before the inevitable "suck a dick Xenophon" comments start, we may have lost the only South Australian voice we have in Canberra, and federally, the only dissenting voice among the two-horse rabble that doesn't give two shits about anyone outside their little bubble.

The Greens...
:rolleyes:

Yeah, this will really help with the housing shortage....Not

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/que...s-with-new-rental-policy-20170816-gxxnhy.html

Greens seek to turn the tables on landlords with new rental policy

Renters would have unlimited, rent-controlled leases and be able to hang paintings, paint walls, keep pets and stay put even if the property was sold under a Queensland Greens policy. The Queensland Renters' Rights plan, due to be announced on Thursday, would mean renters would have access to unlimited leases which they could terminate with three months' notice without a reason. Landlords would have to give 12 months' notice if they wanted to evict the renter and only on "reasonable grounds".
These include if the landlord or their family member wanted to live in the property, or if the landlord wanted to make "appropriate commercial" use of the land. That would not include the landlord wanting to sell as the tenant would have the right to continue their lease if someone else bought the property. If there was a serious breach of the lease, such as non-payment of rent, the landlord could terminate with three months' notice. Landlords would only be able to increase rents every 24 months outside of fixed term leases and only by a rate determined by the Residential Tenancy Authority, which would base increases on CPI and median wage growth. Tenants would be given rights to make minor renovations without permission such as putting nails in the wall, painting rooms or putting up shelving.

The Greens...

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/que...s-with-new-rental-policy-20170816-gxxnhy.html

Sweet Jesus they are terrible. You can't take control of the asset away from the owner. Also since they would basically own it, they have no incentive to buy a house. Also the people who benefit from this the most are the people you want to give less security too.

The Greens...

Where did it say in the policy, that it was to assist with the housing shortage?

Once again Bicks, your rabid right-wingedness blinds you to everything else.

I'd insert the standard Genghis Khan joke here, but we've already established you're actually further right than he was...

Where did it say in the policy, that it was to assist with the housing shortage?

Once again Bicks, your rabid right-wingedness blinds you to everything else.

I'd insert the standard Genghis Khan joke here, but we've already established you're actually further right than he was...
GGF

Really, the only safe thing to do now is to only allow full blood* aboriginals to serve in parliament

* I am hoping the term full blooded isn't offensive and if it is, the offense was not meant

How would that be proved? DNA testing before accepting the application? I can claim to be full blood and who's to say if I am or not? My father has been completing census's for decades claiming he is so that means I am too.

It puts him in breach of the Australian Constitution... a document which is fundamental to our democracy, and which you seem to think is optional (take it or leave it, depending on the whims of your beloved Liberal party). It's not optional, it's the cornerstone of our democracy.

That's yet to be tested. Obviously based on your interpretation, and mine, and many others, but not by the people who actually matter.

Really, the only safe thing to do now is to only allow full blood* aboriginals to serve in parliament

* I am hoping the term full blooded isn't offensive and if it is, the offense was not meant
Nah, just people who can read and do their homework before entering Parliament..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm quite conflicted on this s44 debacle. On one hand I think it's ridiculous that a 100+ year old document can exclude someone like Nick X from parliament due to a historic link to a right to some form of British citizenship. But then you think how much effort and tge huge decision that going into politics is and you have to wonder how the hell they stuff this up. There's not that many linkages that could result in citizenship rights, how can they not have fully researched it.

I'm quite conflicted on this s44 debacle. On one hand I think it's ridiculous that a 100+ year old document can exclude someone like Nick X from parliament due to a historic link to a right to some form of British citizenship. But then you think how much effort and tge huge decision that going into politics is and you have to wonder how the hell they stuff this up. There's not that many linkages that could result in citizenship rights, how can they not have fully researched it.
The whole thing is becoming farcical & a distraction from actually running the country!

Surely if you were born in Australia & basically lived in Australia your whole life, it shouldn't matter if you are a dual citizen. We are a multicultural country.

Bicks, did you watch 4 corners on the Greens?

Very interesting how the NSW Greens operate differently to the Australian Greens...
No I didn't, all I can say their stance on rental properties is bizarre to say the least. Why would any owner or even an investor be prepared to rent out THEIR property under the terms the Greens are attempting to legislate, where almost total property rights are held by the renter not the owner of the actual property. Under those terms if they were ever adopted contrary to a poster above who can't see the forest for the trees this can only have one outcome....a severe unavailability of rental properties thus leading to a housing shortage. No owner in their right mind would sign off on such a lopsided rental agreement as suggested by the Greens.

No I didn't, all I can say their stance on rental properties is bizarre to say the least. Why would any owner or even an investor be prepared to rent out THEIR property under the terms the Greens are attempting to legislate, where almost total property rights are held by the renter not the owner of the actual property. Under those terms if they were ever adopted contrary to a poster above who can't see the forest for the trees this can only have one outcome....a severe unavailability of rental properties thus leading to a housing shortage. No owner in their right mind would sign off on such a lopsided rental agreement as suggested by the Greens.
Agree - They do have some crazies, but there are some good people in the movement too.

You should watch a replay of the 4 Corners, as it appears the NSW Greens is basically controlled by a core executive, who basically do what they want, regardless of what the members want & have the power to veto what they want as don't need a majority. It is quite bizarre & no wonder the last 3 national leaders have been frustrated with NSW.

I expect that would be the part where they expect housing prices to plummet so that scores of people who have worked their rings out to buy property can be bankrupted overnight.

The whole thing is becoming farcical & a distraction from actually running the country!
Meh.. it's not as if the Coalition were paying any attention to running the country anyway. It's a distraction, but only a distraction from their internal politicking over SSM.

Meh.. it's not as if the Coalition were paying any attention to running the country anyway. It's a distraction, but only a distraction from their internal politicking over SSM.

The more I watch politics unfold in the 2010s, the more I realise that the country pretty much runs itself, regardless of the flavour of the leadership.

The Greens have got a pretty sweet deal. They come up with all sorts of wacky s**t that appeals to their base, with the full knowledge that their wacky s**t will never be tested by actually being put into place.

Why would any owner or even an investor be prepared to rent out THEIR property under the terms the Greens are attempting to legislate, where almost total property rights are held by the renter not the owner of the actual property. Under those terms if they were ever adopted contrary to a poster above who can't see the forest for the trees this can only have one outcome....a severe unavailability of rental properties thus leading to a housing shortage. No owner in their right mind would sign off on such a lopsided rental agreement as suggested by the Greens.

This part i don't understand. I have a rental property. I couldn't give a hoot if the renter want to put up shelves or have a pet. The longer the lease the better. I forget I've got the bloody thing sometimes. All I know is a nice couple have lived there for five years, it's practically the same thing as an undying lease. They want to paint stuff? Go crazy, easier than me doing it. As for why an owner/investor would be prepared to rent out e their property under these terms, i assume they'd want to rent out THEIR property to make money, if the renters aren't ruining the property WGAF how they live? it will simply give both parties the security of longer rent periods.

and how does this create a severe unavailability of rental properties leading to a housing shortage? are we randomly bulldozing rentals to decrease supply? will these laws make more people suddenly want to rent? the only way this would happen is if people decided to move all the capital they were about to use on buidling a rental, into something else. it's possible... but i doubt it, rentals are a fantastic way to make money.

The Greens have got a pretty sweet deal. They come up with all sorts of wacky s**t that appeals to their base, with the full knowledge that their wacky s**t will never be tested by actually being put into place.

Berlin has unlimited leases and Paris has similar forms of rent control.

Also, for my total amusement:

3dd07fe7bf381f31728c0f8e30cd8f6b

I think the Australian public need to know, who is he barracking for in the Bledisloe Cup later this month???
If it's the Wallabies, he'd be pretty disappointed

Then we may as well go for my model & significantly reduce the numbers, as it's not like we would miss most of the back benchers. All other industries have made staff savings with increased technology, so why should politicians be treated differently.

Personally I would merge local & state governments, reduce the 2nd house in state governments & transfer all major issues to Feds (ie. Health, Education, Laws, etc).

We are way too over-Governed in terms of numbers, but not in outcomes!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back