Preview The Floating Round - Essendon vs Fremantle at Etihad, 27th August 2017

What will the headline be after this match?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who?

Essendon vs Fremantle

When?

Sunday 27th August 2017 at 1:10pm AEST (11:10am AWST).

Where?

Etihad Stadium (SFKA Docklands Stadium/Colonial Stadium/Telstra Dome), Harbour Esplanade, Docklands Victoria 3008.

What?

AFL Round 23, the ‘Floating Round’.

Why?

Essendon: win and they will be in pole position to qualify for the finals for the first time since 2011. Lose and the Eagles could overtake them and qualify in their place, which is actually the fourth sign of the Apocalypse (it’s in the Bible, people!!);

Fremantle: win and they could drop a spot in the AFL Draft. Otherwise it’s shits and giggles, blokes playing for contracts in 2018, and the fact that they can’t forfeit the game (can they?).

The Prize

Playing for the Kepler-Crowley Cup.

Last Five Games:

R7, 2017, Fremantle 17.14 (116) d Essendon 11.13 (79) at Domain Stadium

R11, 2016, Fremantle 20.6 (126) d Essendon 6.11 (47) at Domain Stadium

R6, 2015, Fremantle 12.8 (80) d Essendon 7.10 (52) at Domain Stadium

R4, 2014, Fremantle 18.5 (113) d Essendon 9.6 (60) at Domain Stadium

R3, 2013, Essendon 10.12 (72) d Fremantle 9.14 (68) at Domain Stadium

Last Time At This Venue:

R2, 2010, Fremantle 17.11 (113) d Essendon 9.15 (69) at Etihad Stadium

https://youtu.be/3W-Dvyx5zGs

Team Songs:

Essendon: ‘Rock Lobster’ by the B-52’s

https://youtu.be/Oh5J33KAaqw

Fremantle: ‘Drunken Sailor’ by the Irish Rovers

https://youtu.be/cf0E_PJtJWg

Fun Facts:

• Essendon coach John Worsfold played his junior football with South Fremantle, while Fremantle coach Ross Lyon played his junior football with Reservoir (which is like a couple of suburbs away from Essendon… look it up if you don’t believe me);
  • John Worsfold is a director of CR Steel, “a steel fabrication and installation company based in Cockburn Central” according to Wikipedia;
  • The first player to kick a goal at this week’s venue (Etihad Stadium) was an Essendon player, Michael Long. The first player to kick a goal for Fremantle was a former Essendon player, Todd Ridley;
  • Fremantle played their very first finals match against Essendon in 2003, not-quite-winning by 44 points;
  • When Fremantle and Essendon played in Melbourne in 2009, Adam McPhee top scored with 3.1. Pity he was playing for Essendon at the time;
  • Of the players that played the last game between these teams in Melbourne, only seven from each team are still with the same club;
  • The form guide of each team leading into this match are palindromes:
    • Fremantle: LLWLL,
    • Essendon: WLWLW;
  • Essendon are coming off an eight day break, and Fremantle are coming off a seven day break, which means that Brennan Cox & Luke Ryan should be fine to get a few beers in during Thursday Night Trivia at The Gate Bar & Bistro;
  • Australian basketballer Andrew Bogut is a well-known Essendon fan, while Fremantle counts 15-time NBA All-Star (“hey now…”) Shaquille O’Neal amongst their fans (he said so on TV this one time after meeting Hayden Crozier so it must be true);
  • Essendon and Fremantle are traditional rivals and co-instigators of the now-famous Floating Round, thanks to their shared airship history: Essendon being the one time home of the Holden Airship, while the Swan Airship was a regular overhead fixture during the 1987 America’s Cup Defence in Fremantle. This may well be given added relevance when the commentators exclaim “Oh, the humanity!” during the telecast of this match.
holden airship.jpg
swan airship.JPG

Form:

Essendon: fluctuating – have won three of the last five;

Fremantle: melting - since beating the Gold Coast Suns they have lost the next two games by 104 points (not a combined total unfortunately), which is proof positive that climate change is real. Fight me Malcolm Roberts!

Cox_Roberts_ABC 2.jpg

Likely Ins/Outs

Essendon:

Ins – Michael Hurley may come back in, which is extremely lucky for Essendon because God knows Fremantle’s forward line needs to calm. The hell. Down.

Outs – Josh Green fractured a foot so may join Orazio FANTASIA (sorry for shouting there but that boy’s name just gets you fired up) on the sidelines.

Fremantle:

Ins – Lachie Neale may come back from injury, Taylin Duman was touted to get a game sometime this year and although unlikely it’d be nice if Zac Dawson got a GoldenFistamonial game;

Outs – Sean Darcy may be suspended, Brad Hill hurt something and may miss, a bunch of players should be dropped due to not playing that well recently (some may be dropped, some may escape the chop) and Harley Bennell may be spared the hard Etihad surface.

Actual Ins/Outs

Get back to me on Thursday or Friday. I'm a definite in though, which counts for something as far as I’m concerned.

Players To Watch:

Essendon:

Cale Hooker: one of many large players that Fremantle have tried to recruit over the years, Hooker will be calling Ross Lyon personally during the week to apologise in advance for the inevitable pantsing his team will give Fremantle;

Joe Daniher: this is what a Key Position Forward looks like. He was a Father/Son selection as well. When I become Emperor, the person(s) who failed to give Stephen O’Reilly two extra games for Fremantle will be first up against the wall;

Andrew McGrath: this is what a Number One Draft Pick(TM) gets you;

Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti: he’s quick, he’s skilful and he’s quick;

Brendan Goddard: for a prank, I’m going to put a card table covered with pretzels on top next to the players’ race so BJ can give it a whack for old time’s sake while before he runs through the banner;

Connor McKenna: he’ll have a red hot craic (not even sorry).

Fremantle:

Ryan Nyhuis: has a four goal/zero Rising Star nomination average at this ground;

Lachie Weller: I’m his buddy so I’m legally and morally obliged to mention him. Even so he’ll do well;

Nat Fyfe: will be very distinguishable – the hair, the aerial skills, the contested possessions, and he will be the one carrying 17 other players on his shoulders;

Cameron Sutcliffe: if he plays his kids will be ours. All ours. Play the game then get on the root Cam, your team needs you;

Harley Balic: will be in the crowd. If you see him make sure you buy him a beer and thank him for the memories;

Harley Bennell: he may or may not play this weekend, but watch him anyway. Here’s some highlights. He’s bloody good isn’t he?

https://youtu.be/pJWmEbXryx8

https://youtu.be/Yt9vAFJpDFs

https://youtu.be/SUf_0j63vMY

The Verdict:

Consider the facts:

• Essendon’s last five games have resulted in alternate wins & losses, and Essendon won their last game;
  • Seven players that played for each team the last time they played in Melbourne are still with the same club, and seven is the number that Fremantle’s captain wears;
  • Fremantle are undefeated in Melbourne in 2017.

Therefore, in my esteemed opinion*, I’m predicting Fremantle to win by 14 points**

* Opinion may not be even remotely esteemed.

** Prediction may not actually come true.

Last edited:

Excellent work, great preview.

Re-reading your work during the game will be far more interesting than anything happening out on the ground.

Super effort to end the year of previews...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks, great little song that I have not heard in ages and had almost forgotten it existed. Don't know how you managed to pick it but great choice.

B-52's are Bombers. It was a choice between Rock Lobster & Love Shack. Etihad Stadium's tin roof hasn't rusted that much, and Ryan Crowley's a fiend at the pinching so Rock Lobster it is!

yes NBA player Andrew Bogut is an Essendon fan.

However a Former NBA player is a Freo fan. That man is Luc Longley. Played for the Bulls 3 peat in 1996, 97 and 98 alongside Michael Jordan, Dennis Rodman and Scottie Pippen

Aw hell yeah!! Longley > Shaq > Bogut

Strong finish to the previews Bob! Hopefully the boys can lift their socks for this one but im doubtful. The bombers have a really good incentive to win and the freo boys have already checked out. Mad monday started 3 weeks early.
Bombers by 40 points.

Neale & Bennell wont play.

We'll get done by 80+ - I would love to See Ross show some dare and play with a 5 man forward line and keep some shape on the field.

I'd also like him to swing Logue through the middle and tell him to hunt, when he does that rest Fyfe as the deepest forward.

Show us SOMETHING

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back