Warhammer 40K

Remove this Banner Ad

Anybody had any games with the new 8th Edition rules?
I actually played on the weekend. Can at the new rules are sooo much better. Very streamlined and the binning of vehicle rules and just giving them a stack of wounds works so much better.

We stuffed up a few things but think we'd have a much better handle on it next game.

Close combat is brutal.

Holy crap. I havent played since 5th edition. And remember when 3rd edition was the edition to end editions.

I wonder if my miniatures have all rotted away. Maybe I can get my son involved. But buying new is SO expensive...
I pretty much use eBay or Facebook to buy my minis now. Just can't afford the pay full price from GW. Which is a shame as I want to support them.

I pretty much use eBay or Facebook to buy my minis now. Just can't afford the pay full price from GW. Which is a shame as I want to support them.
This!

GW have priced themselves out of my price range when there are comparable if not better and cheaper alternatives in the market.

The only GW figures I now have are my old Epic 40k Squats.

GW have alienated a very large fan base with their ridiculous price points.

They "appear" to be trying to change that...

Fully recommend old players giving the new edition a go. I was pleasantly surprised and had alot of fun with it.

I went into the local GW Oakleigh shop today, wanting to maybe put together and paint some stuff. What put me off was the price, $55 for one miniture in some cases, paints not included. Like it looks cool, and would love to paint it, but once you get a few sets and paints Id literally be trying to justify a couple dozen pieces of plastic for hundreds of $$$.

Any cheaper alternatives to this game? Not interested in playing it as much as I am in building/painting cool fantasy stuff.

The offerings from Mantic are much cheaper, and most similar in game terms - Kings of War and Dungeon Saga to Warhammer, Deadzone/Warpath and Star Saga to 40k, Dreadball to Bloodbowl. Other pretty games include Malifaux, Knight's DC games (Batman, etc), Infinity, Dropzone/Dropfleet.

If you just want to build and paint cool, well priced display pieces, you really never need to leave the Reaper website

I went into the local GW Oakleigh shop today, wanting to maybe put together and paint some stuff. What put me off was the price, $55 for one miniture in some cases, paints not included. Like it looks cool, and would love to paint it, but once you get a few sets and paints Id literally be trying to justify a couple dozen pieces of plastic for hundreds of $$$.

Any cheaper alternatives to this game? Not interested in playing it as much as I am in building/painting cool fantasy stuff.
Ebay

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ebay is everyones best friend. I havent actually bought a new mini in a store in years and years. Id like to, but if I can get the same things for a third of the price then ill definitely do that.

30K is where its at for me. I wish they would release a new box set so I can get some variation in the armor I can buy though. Mk3, mk4, Tartaros and Cataphractii is a pretty small selection.

Cant really stand the direction they have taken 40k with the incredibly ham fisted Primaris Marines. Very thinly veiled ploy to just increase the scale overall and phase out old marines eventually. The Primarchs coming back is great though.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Haven't played 40k in years but used to rock an Imperial Guard army back in the day (pretty sure they are called something else now - astra imperium or something?). Still love reading the lore and own all the Gaunt's Ghosts books. Was tempted to buy the latest codex just to read more haha.

I think I saw something last week about GW wanting to make 40k more accessible to young people by introducing more 'kid friendly' fiction. Seems like a good way to spread the lore and hobby but given the dark and grim themes, I read some people on social media being quite upset about it as it was supposedly watering down the product.

Some of the neckbeards objected to the girl wearing a hijab/veil, and their 'better' idea to replace her was to make her bald and purple, and to rewrite her as a genestealer cult baby, ie a rape victim child. It's a quality community.
Unfortunately like all of the nerdy communities 40k has it's fair share of neckbeards ruining everything.

Played a 2000 points a side battle in the 8th edition, which I played Chaos (vs Orks).

Got completely craved up as i stupidly charged out with my Land Raider, when i should have just sat back and just shot everything i could.

View attachment 515386
Good to see you're getting those models on the table :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back