Gym & Misc Irritating people/things that annoy you in the gym II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Speaking of getting injured.. when I did my Cert IV, the instructor told us this funny story... these guys were having this comp in the gym, where they were seeing how long they could hold this position- think like you are seated in a chair, with no chair, up against a wall- so you are holding yourself up.

Anyway this guy went for hours- i cant recall how long exactly but yeah it was a long time.

So yeah he completely ****ed up his knees and legs- was a cripple afterwards. :D
(I shouldnt laugh..)
How the * do you cripple yourself doing a wall sit?!

We do s**t like that at work. Me and a client do max reps, have done 30kg bench press and battle ropes. Gets very competitive.

How the **** do you cripple yourself doing a wall sit?!

We do s**t like that at work. Me and a client do max reps, have done 30kg bench press and battle ropes. Gets very competitive.

Idk, probably the amount of time he was doing it.

As for competitiveness at the gym, idk maybe being a female I just do not get that at all. Sure, when I'm playing a sport, tennis, bowling etc, I'm competitive. ****ing couldnt care less if you can run faster, lift more.. it must be a guy thing that. :p

Idk, probably the amount of time he was doing it.

As for competitiveness at the gym, idk maybe being a female I just do not get that at all. Sure, when I'm playing a sport, tennis, bowling etc, I'm competitive. ****ing couldnt care less if you can run faster, lift more.. it must be a guy thing that. :p
Me and him are just competitive people. Not so much a gym thing. It's just a way to compete

Wtf.. just reading the paper on my lunch break.

Fitness test for women to join the army is just 4 push ups.

I can do like 20-30 and I'm s**t.*

*on my knees. :oops:
All the fitness testing is pretty easy for cops army etc. they're the basic fitness requirements

Special forces tend to get harder

Why do people have such issue with people correcting technique?

Trainer this morning telling his 6ft 72kg client what he needs to do to lose weight "just cut out food every single day. Every day I want you eating less and less"

Also got ripped into on Saturday by the two trainers I work with because I follow IF

But but think of the catabolism bro :p

Although in relation to machines I reckon lat pull down is one of the exercises with the worst form

It might just be cos a lot of women come through the gym but the most common mistake I see is that they try and bring the bar too low.
Almost ends up being a weird cable muscle up lol

Normally cue them to look straight up at the ceiling and bring the bar to their chin while driving the elbows backwards.
Seems to work ok and at least they get some good scapula retraction *shrugs shoulders*

But but think of the catabolism bro :p
Yeah I was getting ripped into for it. Apparently it's all a lie and there's no evidence to support doing it. I hate the people I work with haha

It might just be cos a lot of women come through the gym but the most common mistake I see is that they try and bring the bar too low.
Almost ends up being a weird cable muscle up lol

Normally cue them to look straight up at the ceiling and bring the bar to their chin while driving the elbows backwards.
Seems to work ok and at least they get some good scapula retraction *shrugs shoulders*
Yeah we've got a sign above the pull down where I work. Works perfectly because if they look at that they generally have to hold themselves how they should.

Yeah I was getting ripped into for it. Apparently it's all a lie and there's no evidence to support doing it. I hate the people I work with haha

Yeah we've got a sign above the pull down where I work. Works perfectly because if they look at that they generally have to hold themselves how they should.

Imagine if the human body went into starvation mode after not eating for 12 hours, none of us would be here!

Imagine if the human body went into starvation mode after not eating for 12 hours, none of us would be here!
It was just funny listening to them criticise it. "It doesn't work"
"Why do you say that?"
"It just doesn't. You're starving yourself. You miss out on Nutrients. Science says it's wrong. It slows your metabolism"
"None of that is accurate"
"Yeah it is. You're wrong. It's crap"

It was just funny listening to them criticise it. "It doesn't work"
"Why do you say that?"
"It just doesn't. You're starving yourself. You miss out on Nutrients. Science says it's wrong. It slows your metabolism"
"None of that is accurate"
"Yeah it is. You're wrong. It's crap"

And since when does IF have to be about calorie restriction...... you can still eat surplus calories in 4-8 hour eating window (harder yes, but still doable)

And since when does IF have to be about calorie restriction...... you can still eat surplus calories in 4-8 hour eating window (harder yes, but still doable)
Yeah I stared explaining it but just got shouted down
Scary thing is one has just completed exercise and sports science at uni. You'd think he would have more critical thinking

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You'd think he would have more critical thinking

My course is a little different as it comes from an "alternate" therapy background (and is delivered by an educator firmly rooted in more Eastern medicine) but from my experience critical thinking largely ends up being plain critical lol
The best is when they do try go all sciency and fall horribly eg guy is a massive advocate of myofascial release and they did a single study which suggested MFR influences certain receptors in the skin (no s**t) which he uses to champion the use of MFR over other techniques despite non-theoretical evidence suggesting that whether you're doing true MFR or just get a nice massage makes no difference to short or long term pain/dysfunction outcomes.
Dry needling tends to fall under the same banner. They've proven that it influences different sensory receptors than regular massage, but it appears those sensory receptors don't really matter as massage vs needling come out equal when it comes to evidence on pain reduction

Went to a gym in Perth last week and I kid you not there was probably 15/20 PT's on the floor. Ridiculous. That's what happens when you go to a commercial gym I suppose.

Went to a gym in Perth last week and I kid you not there was probably 15/20 PT's on the floor. Ridiculous. That's what happens when you go to a commercial gym I suppose.
Goodlife Mooroolbark has active membership of around 1200 a week and at one point had 27 trainers.

Fast Growing suburb I guess, didnt used to be a lot there.

1200 still seems large
It's one of the oldest commercial gyms in the area
1200 is a small active membership. They have about 3500 paying members.

ENRG has like 900 active members

It's one of the oldest commercial gyms in the area
1200 is a small active membership. They have about 3500 paying members.

ENRG has like 900 active members

Still think I preferred it when it was the bowling place lol

Is that 90s bro-science still doing the rounds?
Lyle McDonald wrote an article combining a bunch of scientific studies regarding this a few years back. Was an article about "feeding windows" to debunk the one-hour after training myth but it showed that you basically have to eat nothing for 24-48 hours (depending on the person) for any discernible impact on metabolism.

Lyle McDonald wrote an article combining a bunch of scientific studies regarding this a few years back. Was an article about "feeding windows" to debunk the one-hour after training myth but it showed that you basically have to eat nothing for 24-48 hours (depending on the person) for any discernible impact on metabolism.
Yeah I said that and the morons reckon it's all a lie. Apparently no one can lose weight or build muscle on it. I must've made up losing 50kgs doing it

I think some studies go as far as 72 hours to for some people but yes, this is my understanding also

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back