Past #42: Declan Mountford - delisted by NMFC on 04 October 2018 - thanks and good luck Dec

Remove this Banner Ad

That's plum in cricketing parlance. Umpires usually eat up paying those. Boggling. (Insert your Brad gif here)

It's a good thing our season ended months ago so I'm the calm centre of the universe at the footy nowadays. Otherwise I'd have been a right disgrace after that non call. *stern look*

That's plum in cricketing parlance. Umpires usually eat up paying those. Boggling. (Insert your Brad gif here)

It's a good thing our season ended months ago so I'm the calm centre of the universe at the footy nowadays. Otherwise I'd have been a right disgrace after that non call. *stern look*
Agreed. Mind boggling that non-call.

Seriously mountford is incredible. Pick 60! Bahaha, at least we are the least useless of a bunch of ******* useless scouts.

Jy and dec will turn our midfield inside out. Massive pre-season coming up for those two in the midfield, perhaps Jy less so with his build needing a bit more time, so I can see him still playing that small forward role for a while.

900k - 1 mil over three sounds reasonable. But I have no idea what they pay 3rd year players who show lots of promise.

Josh Kelly was only offered 600K per year from the giants over the next 2 years, so 500k right now for dec is kinda ridiculous.

Seriously mountford is incredible. Pick 60! Bahaha, at least we are the least useless of a bunch of ******* useless scouts.

Jy and dec will turn our midfield inside out. Massive pre-season coming up for those two in the midfield, perhaps Jy less so with his build needing a bit more time, so I can see him still playing that small forward role for a while.
Our recruiting has been quite good. Far from anywhere near useless :)

Way overs......
Not necessarily. Salary cap is $12M. We currently have 11 players either on the rookie list or in their first 2-year contract, so let's say averaging 100,000. Leaves 10.9 mil for the other 34, which is about $330K each. Then Durdin, Nielson, EVW, Clarke, Hibberd, Jy were all extended by a year before their first contract was up, and you'd expect they'd be locked up for modest money ("hey, you've been getting by on $100K, here have $220K") but would probably expect to go up when their next deal comes due. Marley, Jed, Jacobs, Hrovat and Wags would probably be on just-happy-to-be-here money. Established fringe best 22 money is about $350K under the old cap, so $400K would be about average under the new one.

So yeah, 3x500 would be overs but not massively.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not necessarily. Salary cap is $12M. We currently have 11 players either on the rookie list or in their first 2-year contract, so let's say averaging 100,000. Leaves 10.9 mil for the other 34, which is about $330K each. Then Durdin, Nielson, EVW, Clarke, Hibberd, Jy were all extended by a year before their first contract was up, and you'd expect they'd be locked up for modest money ("hey, you've been getting by on $100K, here have $220K") but would probably expect to go up when their next deal comes due. Marley, Jed, Jacobs, Hrovat and Wags would probably be on just-happy-to-be-here money. Established fringe best 22 money is about $350K under the old cap, so $400K would be about average under the new one.

So yeah, 3x500 would be overs but not massively.
The young players you mentioned getting their contracts extended are getting nowhere near $220,000 per year. They wish!

I thought that was fair enough tbh. He only got control of the ball as Simpkin tackled him.

But of course the same thing happened to us and we didn't get the same treatment. 50/50 HTB/incorrect disposal and high contact free kicks never go our way and never have.

I thought that was fair enough tbh. He only got control of the ball as Simpkin tackled him.

But of course the same thing happened to us and we didn't get the same treatment. 50/50 HTB/incorrect disposal and high contact free kicks never go our way and never have.
It was dec that run him down. It was close, but you can clearly see him control the ball then accelerate away, that is prior opportunity.

Good 3-4 steps in my view. Cunnington gets zero steps in clearances at times and is deemed prior because he is "taking them on". Players shouldn't take the ball if they can't get clear IMO. Personally I wouldn't be against getting rid of prior opportunity altogether and have players penalised full stop for non-legal disposal.

It was dec that run him down. It was close, but you can clearly see him control the ball then accelerate away, that is prior opportunity.

Yeah i meant him...:drunk:

I didn't think he had what i'd call "control" as he accelerated away - heaps less control in my mind than Browny's mark in Launie last week.

Good 3-4 steps in my view. Cunnington gets zero steps in clearances at times and is deemed prior because he is "taking them on". Players shouldn't take the ball if they can't get clear IMO. Personally I wouldn't be against getting rid of prior opportunity altogether and have players penalised full stop for non-legal disposal.

The way I see it is - if we're playing and have it its htb, anyone else is play on. (That's what i expect anyway.) In non north games it seems dependent upon horoscopes or something with similar logic.

But to my eyes he fumbles (but others might see that as having the ball under control,) when Dec is 2 steps behind him and only gets the ball into his hands as the tackle happens. I've seen that played both ways - play on and htb.

The young players you mentioned getting their contracts extended are getting nowhere near $220,000 per year. They wish!
You're probably right. And I might have been generous with the $100K per player in the first 2 years. According to The_Wookie's web site, under the new CBA the new minimum rookie list wage is $71,500, the first round draft pick minimum is $88,193, and the minimum for players beyond their second year is $100,000. For some reason I thought 1st-rounders were on more.

I recall seeing, but can't find it now, that under the previous CBA the average non-entry contract was about $330K. If the 20% increase applies across the board, that will rise to about $400K. You'd normally expect that the next contract after the first extension would be the payday for most players.

The_Wookie have you sighted a copy of the actual new CBA or just reporting on it?

FWIW, I'd expect it won't take anywhere near 3x500 to hang on to Dec.

You're probably right. And I might have been generous with the $100K per player in the first 2 years. According to The_Wookie's web site, under the new CBA the new minimum rookie list wage is $71,500, the first round draft pick minimum is $88,193, and the minimum for players beyond their second year is $100,000. For some reason I thought 1st-rounders were on more.

I recall seeing, but can't find it now, that under the previous CBA the average non-entry contract was about $330K. If the 20% increase applies across the board, that will rise to about $400K. You'd normally expect that the next contract after the first extension would be the payday for most players.

The_Wookie have you sighted a copy of the actual new CBA or just reporting on it?

FWIW, I'd expect it won't take anywhere near 3x500 to hang on to Dec.

The CBA is here
http://www.aflplayers.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/2017-2022-CBA.pdf

QUOTE="giantroo, post: 52008829, member: 20191"]

I remember watching Mountford start that rundown WAY before actually making the tackle and thinking to myself "he's actually gonna run that whole wing till he nails someone, its happening, we've got a runner!"[/QUOTE]

Yes I watched him the beginning of the run too. He was like a madman chasing and he was 100% driven to catch and tackle the man with the football. Inspiring stuff. When they didn't pay the free kick I completely lost it. Probably the most animated I got on the day.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back