Phantom Draft Bishop's 2017 Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

If the draft does go
Carlton-Rayner
North Melbourne- Dow

Who goes at 3 can see LDU drop much like Brodie did last year wouldn't think Lions draft him

It's hard, I wouldn't necessarily say those first two are locks either. I reckon the Blues like Constable, and I could see them trading to about Pick 5-10 to try and secure him rather than taking Rayner at 1. (I get the feeling some clubs are getting cold feet about Rayner and while they might see him at 1, I'm not sure how many would take him there).

But for this example - I reckon the Lions take Coffield at 3 (and possibly even 1). Very good player, has some great traits that I think will appeal.

How has Kreuger progressed since the champs? Thought he was great in the first televised game. Is he still looking like getting drafted or lasting until the rookie draft?

I think the Lions would take LDU as his interests marry up ok in Brisbane.
Loves his surfing and actually from Mornington Penn area.
Rayner would be the top echelon player they may be wary of. Dow would of course be one that really piques their interest imo

How has Kreuger progressed since the champs? Thought he was great in the first televised game. Is he still looking like getting drafted or lasting until the rookie draft?

I wouldn't be expecting him to last until the rookie draft. A few people have mentioned some off-field stuff with him - but nevertheless he'll wake up to a few things. I haven't seen his games in SA, but numbers wise he's been ok. He's gone through the midfield at stages. Very similar to Noah Balta in a sense, that they are both athletic talls that can push through the midfield in a sense. (I don't expect either to end up there - but shows they aren't just lock down backs, but can be hybrids)

I still have him in that 2nd-3rd round mix. Will have more of an understanding towards the end of the year.

I think the Lions would take LDU as his interests marry up ok in Brisbane.
Loves his surfing and actually from Mornington Penn area.
Rayner would be the top echelon player they may be wary of. Dow would of course be one that really piques their interest imo

Dow's speed and agility would certainly interest anyone with a slowish midfield. Not sure the Lions have selected many speedy players recently and someone like Dow could add that leg speed they require.

Bishop
Harry Mckay or Sam Hayes? If you had a chance to trade for Harry or draft Hayes which would you do?

Bishop
Harry Mckay or Sam Hayes? If you had a chance to trade for Harry or draft Hayes which would you do?

Hard to compare the pair, as I reckon Hayes is more of a ruckman that McKay is/was.

I'd take Hayes in the draft though, but depends what pick you're drafting him. If it's in the teens - I'd take Hayes - but if it was a top 10 pick then I'd be taking McKay (if that makes sense)

It's hard, I wouldn't necessarily say those first two are locks either. I reckon the Blues like Constable, and I could see them trading to about Pick 5-10 to try and secure him rather than taking Rayner at 1. (I get the feeling some clubs are getting cold feet about Rayner and while they might see him at 1, I'm not sure how many would take him there).

But for this example - I reckon the Lions take Coffield at 3 (and possibly even 1). Very good player, has some great traits that I think will appeal.

What's your thinking the blues liking Charlie,

What's your thinking the blues liking Charlie,

More of a gut feel. Similar style to Cripps - think they need another strong bodied IM. Gut feel based on what recruiters I see at which games & I know SOS has observed Haileybury closely.

I think Rayner is a Carlton supporter, but I'm not sure he's the right fit.

More of a gut feel. Similar style to Cripps - think they need another strong bodied IM. Gut feel based on what recruiters I see at which games & I know SOS has observed Haileybury closely.

I think Rayner is a Carlton supporter, but I'm not sure he's the right fit.

Thanks mate. Keep up the good work

Hey Bishop, just wondering if you think with the addition with maybe another pick.
Could Richmond grab Balta, Garner, Naish and Woolley?

And roughly where do you think they will fall. Each guy to me would be great additions to our team in positions of need over the next few years

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey Bishop,

Just out of the mature-agers out of the VFL where do you rank the top prospects going considering the noted weak nature of this draft and who have recruiters identified as potential draftees/rookies?

Hey Bishop, just wondering if you think with the addition with maybe another pick.
Could Richmond grab Balta, Garner, Naish and Woolley?

And roughly where do you think they will fall. Each guy to me would be great additions to our team in positions of need over the next few years

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would be happy to take the first 3 - I just can't get a read with Toby Wooller. I think Balta will be there at Richmond's picks - Garner I know some like and some aren't too sure where he falls 10-20 range.

I think Balta is a 10-30 range, Garner 10-20, Naish 15-25, Wooller (3rd round+ ? ) -- but we'll see how finals change things.

Hey Bishop,

Just out of the mature-agers out of the VFL where do you rank the top prospects going considering the noted weak nature of this draft and who have recruiters identified as potential draftees/rookies?

I don't watch a lot of the VFL - just don't have time when you're watching 2-3 U18 games in a weekend. Marty Hore and Alex Boyse the two I think have the most interest with AFL clubs. Time will tell.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bishop
Got my 1st look at Aiden Bonar yesterday and he made quite an impression on me, played down back early but once switched forward boy oh boy this lad has some real high end talent, built like a brick outhouse and a real good mover, I read where he'd done ACL's and only recently resumed playing footy but you wouldn't have picked it the way he moves and flies for marks. Where do you see him getting drafted given if he franks yesterday's game with similar in the Finals etc.

Bishop
Got my 1st look at Aiden Bonar yesterday and he made quite an impression on me, played down back early but once switched forward boy oh boy this lad has some real high end talent, built like a brick outhouse and a real good mover, I read where he'd done ACL's and only recently resumed playing footy but you wouldn't have picked it the way he moves and flies for marks. Where do you see him getting drafted given if he franks yesterday's game with similar in the Finals etc.

Did you see all three games Bicks?

Did you see all three games Bicks?
No, got there into the 2nd quarter of the 2nd game, Paddy Dow the stand out in that game to my eye.
Hunter Clark and Bonar in the 3rd game, honourable mention to Rebels defender Flynn Appleby.
Toby Bedford showed flashes of brilliance, one for next year.

Bishop

Have had him inside my top 40 all year - based on what all the lads at Haileybury had told me and all the word out there was that he was the best kids that LDU etc knew growing up. Can play pretty much anywhere - but his build is mighty impressive. He was running around as runner in the early half of the year for Haileybury and you could tell he was in the gym a lot.

I reckon he'll be a second round pick - but we'll see how he progresses.

Bishop, what are your thoughts on drafting Constable at pick 4 if types like LDU/Cerra are still on the board?
Do you think he has done enough to justify such a high pick?

Also where do you project Coffield going, and what type of player do you see him being at AFL level?

I think Constable at Pick 4 is a good move and one that I could see them doing. Has very good smarts, one of the cleanest players in the draft pool and rarely fumbles. I think he's done enough - he's inside my top 10. Some clubs still rate him inside top 10 - so it wouldn't be out of place to take him with Pick 4.

I project Coffield in the top 10 - has plenty of appealing traits: speed/endurance, smarts and is a nice size for a general defender. At the moment his contested numbers aren't as big as Constable's for a 190cm player - but I think he can mould into a similar type. You can also make a case that he's one of the best kicks in the draft pool. I hate comparisons - he's a bit like McCluggage in traffic that he can whip a pass out with plenty of time. But at the moment he's a general defender/outside midfielder : maybe a bit Alex Witherden like, but don't follow my comparisons. They're a waste of time IMO.

Hey Bish, with us now looking like potentially having a couple of picks in the 7-10 range, who you are expecting to be in the mix in that area?

Sounds like Rayner, Dow, Cerra, LDU, Stephenson and Brander are all a really good chance to go top 6, but it seems a lot harder to get a gauge on who is expected to be next in line?

If we keep those two picks we'd probably be looking for those with speed and skill who play midfield and maybe also someone for FB/CHB if they're worth it.

Hey Bish, with us now looking like potentially having a couple of picks in the 7-10 range, who you are expecting to be in the mix in that area?

Sounds like Rayner, Dow, Cerra, LDU, Stephenson and Brander are all a really good chance to go top 6, but it seems a lot harder to get a gauge on who is expected to be next in line?

If we keep those two picks we'd probably be looking for those with speed and skill who play midfield and maybe also someone for FB/CHB if they're worth it.

I think for me - Rayner/Dow/Cerra/LDU will be off the board before St Kilda's pick I think. Stephenson and Coffield two I think who will be in their range, as may be Charlie Constable or an Andy Brayshaw type. Sometimes hard to tell as it'll depend on who goes before them. But I think all the names listed are a chance.

Lochie O'Brien is one such player with speed and skill - but more likely to be back end of first round than early. Question on his ball winning ability as is very outside mid. FB/CHB Aaron Naughton from WA may be one such that they consider and he's been touted in the first round.

Bishop, everytime I've seen Dow, I have questioned his kicking skills. Should I be concerned or is it more a case of his inside winning ability?
Likewise for LDU, I found his kicking at times to be questionable.

I noticed on the weekend that Dow KE was rather low but LDU had a good kicking game.

Both these players kicking skills is what made me drop them a little in my rankings, if my concerns are not as warranted, I could see them being rated a little higher than I thought.

Bishop, everytime I've seen Dow, I have questioned his kicking skills. Should I be concerned or is it more a case of his inside winning ability?

I noticed on the weekend that Dow KE was rather low but LDU had a good kicking game.

Both these players kicking skills is what made me drop them a little in my rankings, if my concerns are not as warranted, I could see them being rated a little higher than I thought.
One of Dow's kicks on the weekend was an absolute bullet, his kicking action is fine not worried in the slightest same with LDU

I agree with what DPS has below - I don't have any issues with either of their kicking. Dow was a bit down in the U18 Champs with his kikc - but he isn't a "bomber" like Worpel is hence his low KE. LDU is willing to use it off either foot - which can at times bring it down when he uses his left foot.

One of Dow's kicks on the weekend was an absolute bullet, his kicking action is fine not worried in the slightest same with LDU

Yep no issues with either. Inside mids never have "elite" kicks.

I think for me - Rayner/Dow/Cerra/LDU will be off the board before St Kilda's pick I think. Stephenson and Coffield two I think who will be in their range, as may be Charlie Constable or an Andy Brayshaw type. Sometimes hard to tell as it'll depend on who goes before them. But I think all the names listed are a chance.

Lochie O'Brien is one such player with speed and skill - but more likely to be back end of first round than early. Question on his ball winning ability as is very outside mid. FB/CHB Aaron Naughton from WA may be one such that they consider and he's been touted in the first round.
Thanks for that. Think we'd be leaning much more towards a Brayshaw type with speed than a Constable, and Coffield certainly interests me.

He really caught my eye from a size/physical POV when I saw him playing in their first televised champs game. Just looked a perfect size/shape for footy and it would be very interesting if he was still growing.

Given we already have the 194cm Roberton going really well across HB and had the 190cm or so Brandon White play a couple of extremely impressive games recently, I feel like a tall running half back type would be very low on our list of priorities though, so how much has Coffield shown so far on a wing?

Has he played some legitimately good games there that suggest he could play there full-time at AFL level? If he has he would be right in our wheelhouse.

Thanks for that. Think we'd be leaning much more towards a Brayshaw type with speed than a Constable, and Coffield certainly interests me.

He really caught my eye from a size/physical POV when I saw him playing in their first televised champs game. Just looked a perfect size/shape for footy and it would be very interesting if he was still growing.

Given we already have the 194cm Roberton going really well across HB and had the 190cm or so Brandon White play a couple of extremely impressive games recently, I feel like a tall running half back type would be very low on our list of priorities though, so how much has Coffield shown so far on a wing?

Has he played some legitimately good games there that suggest he could play there full-time at AFL level? If he has he would be right in our wheelhouse.

He probably hasn't shown a lot as a wingman - most the game he plays as a general defender or inside mid. I've got him listed as an outside mid - he doesn't win a lot of contested possessions even when playing on the inside.

But he's very good in traffic and composed with ball in hand. Probably not one high on St Kilda's list - but he's easily a top 10 for me.

He probably hasn't shown a lot as a wingman - most the game he plays as a general defender or inside mid. I've got him listed as an outside mid - he doesn't win a lot of contested possessions even when playing on the inside.

But he's very good in traffic and composed with ball in hand. Probably not one high on St Kilda's list - but he's easily a top 10 for me.
Interesting prospect, thanks. Is it true that he tested at 2.89sec for the 20m sprint and if so, does it show when he plays, as that is seriously moving!?

Also, if you had two picks in the 7-10 range and had similar needs to us, would you be looking to trade up to 1, or a top 5 pick, happy to stay in the 7-10 range with two picks, or looking to perhaps trade one of the 7-10 picks and maybe a later pick (if needed) for a couple of teens picks, giving you one top 10 and two between say 14-18?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back