NEAFL 2017

How would you be feeling if you were Blake Grewar, the first AFL-listed player to get to 100 NEAFL games without even one AFL game ?
If your mother-in-law drove over a cliff in your new Ford Mustang GT, you'd have mixed feelings. And maybe that's how poor old Blake is feeling.
What would you say to him ? "Well done Blake on that great achievement" or "s**t, you poor bastard !"

I don't want to sound harsh because he's achieved 100 things that I never will, but I wonder whether it will feature on the tales he tells to his grandchildren.

Well done Blake Grewar but, oh, you poor bastard.
I don't think that's really fair. He was only rookied to the Brisbane Lions for this year. Played most of his games for Redlands as a genuine NEAFL player. It would be a very different story if you were on an AFL list the whole time and played 100 NEAFL games.

congrats to Keras for winning the league BnF. well deserved. Ewing is a gun and i reckon the NT will be F#$%ed without him if he goes, given Ilet is retiring.
Cameron took a classic screamer no doubt, but i preferred the pack mark of Baker....not bad to outgrab Tippet!!! then it could have been Bakers for goal and mark of the year!
Note Neafl team of the year has plenty of guys 30+....

I don't think that's really fair. He was only rookied to the Brisbane Lions for this year. Played most of his games for Redlands as a genuine NEAFL player. It would be a very different story if you were on an AFL list the whole time and played 100 NEAFL games.
Yes, it was not really fair. And you've called me out. I wish I hadn't written that and apols to Blake if he's on this forum.
I reckon I'll stick to footy tipping...oh, hang on, I'm crap at that too !!

Go Sydney Uni, NT and Aspley against the enemy in the finals.

Yes, it was not really fair. And you've called me out. I wish I hadn't written that and apols to Blake if he's on this forum.
I reckon I'll stick to footy tipping...oh, hang on, I'm crap at that too !!

Go Sydney Uni, NT and Aspley against the enemy in the finals.
Gold Coast
Uni

FINALS TIPPING WEEK 1
Justabaraker..................... 2
Allycraft........................... 2
Stuyd1............................. 2
Grimlock.......................... 1
Peanut............................. 1

WEEK 2
Swans v Gold Coast
Brisbane v Sydney Uni

I tip:-
Swans

The heart says Uni but I fear that the AFL teams are going to fight this out.
GO UNI !!

Spare a thought for Blake Grewar today in your travels, he in my opinion has been one of the more consistent Lions NEAFL players all year and now he cant get a game in the prelim final at the pointy end of the year!!!!!! Omitted? Cant see this from what I have seen this year on form and there is no word on anything discipline related - Shame his last name is not Clayton or Beams, as I am sure he would have got a game just on this alone - I now can connect to why the Lions seniors have finished bottom of the ladder this year, and why so many ex and possible current Lion interstate players give up and want to go home, there doesn't seem to be to much loyalty shown by the club in this instance, so how could the club based on this ask the players to give loyalty in return - NFI.

Now before you do-gooders start bleating back at these comments above, I understand that the Lions NEAFL side has been compromised again with only apparently 16 listed players allowed to be selected, for what ever reason I just don't understand or accept this - The whole thing is another joke and a disgrace, why should finals be different to home and away games? Don't tell me its for the good of the competition because that is bull s**t, that bird flew off some years ago. I think Redland and Blake would be a tat disappointed at the moment as I am and if we all had a crystal ball, if not selected as a rookie for the Lions he may well have made the difference to Redland getting into the finals this year and with this he possibly would have been playing finals and not held back by so many so called better players or the once again re - compromised competition rules!!!!!!!! The sooner the AFL get off there seats and introduce an AFL reserve competition the better every one will be!!!!!!!!

Spare a thought for Blake Grewar today in your travels, he in my opinion has been one of the more consistent Lions NEAFL players all year and now he cant get a game in the prelim final at the pointy end of the year!!!!!! Omitted? Cant see this from what I have seen this year on form and there is no word on anything discipline related - Shame his last name is not Clayton or Beams, as I am sure he would have got a game just on this alone - I now can connect to why the Lions seniors have finished bottom of the ladder this year, and why so many ex and possible current Lion interstate players give up and want to go home, there doesn't seem to be to much loyalty shown by the club in this instance, so how could the club based on this ask the players to give loyalty in return - NFI.

Now before you do-gooders start bleating back at these comments above, I understand that the Lions NEAFL side has been compromised again with only apparently 16 listed players allowed to be selected, for what ever reason I just don't understand or accept this - The whole thing is another joke and a disgrace, why should finals be different to home and away games? Don't tell me its for the good of the competition because that is bull s**t, that bird flew off some years ago. I think Redland and Blake would be a tat disappointed at the moment as I am and if we all had a crystal ball, if not selected as a rookie for the Lions he may well have made the difference to Redland getting into the finals this year and with this he possibly would have been playing finals and not held back by so many so called better players or the once again re - compromised competition rules!!!!!!!! The sooner the AFL get off there seats and introduce an AFL reserve competition the better every one will be!!!!!!!!
Spot on there Billy. That is bullshit he has been omitted !! Blake has been very good this year, and easily deserves a spot in the final against Uni. I'd be filthy if I was him.

Billy,,
yes
I fully agree...Ive been watching Grewar and hes been named in the best players on numerous occasions in the home and away season..
The comp is a joke really //

Grewar's been playing sore for a number of weeks and the playing restrictions meant there was an opportunity to give him a rest. Ditto Cian Hanley.

As you were.

Mr Ripper, Nice try - I think the terms used when a player is removed from their side where they clearly have been playing well or not so well is "Omitted", "Injured" or "Managed" only one word was used in these two players case that word was "Omitted" A famous quote used from the past which relates to this issue is "You can always put lipstick on a pig but at the end of the day it is still a pig" So the reason given in print is what it is!!!!!!! Maybe the Media Team need some coaching as well?

As you were back at yah

Mr Ripper, Nice try - I think the terms used when a player is removed from their side where they clearly have been playing well or not so well is "Omitted", "Injured" or "Managed" only one word was used in these two players case that word was "Omitted" A famous quote used from the past which relates to this issue is "You can always put lipstick on a pig but at the end of the day it is still a pig" So the reason given in print is what it is!!!!!!! Maybe the Media Team need some coaching as well?

As you were back at yah

Ffs. Facts clearly no match for your speculation. Carry on.

who will ever know BB or Rip.....maybe the truth is somewhere in the middle.....but I'd bet my right nut that Blake would not regret being Rookied by an AFL club. Who would? Who knows what happens to rookies? there are examples of players doing nothing and others having amazing AFL careers.
For mine the one rookie Ive never rated is Brandon Jack....speaking of surnames..but thats another story.

Watched Uni v Lions yesterday. Uni were jumped in the first quarter. Credit to them for playing the game out. At the risk of controversy, I was very disappointed in the games of Bonney and Young. I feel that they only run one way and are able to get away with that against the community Neafl sides but those 2 senior players were exposed for a lack of defensive pressure yesterday, particularly Damian.

However well done to Uni for their performance this year.

Speculation aside Mr Ripper, I will gladly eat my words if Blake and Cian get Re-Rookied next season or you might know this is or not the case already since you are close to the action as you seem, but this now looks like a long shot due to their untimely playing sore situation of late.

who will ever know BB or Rip.....maybe the truth is somewhere in the middle.....but I'd bet my right nut that Blake would not regret being Rookied by an AFL club. Who would? Who knows what happens to rookies? there are examples of players doing nothing and others having amazing AFL careers.
For mine the one rookie Ive never rated is Brandon Jack....speaking of surnames..but thats another story.

Watched Uni v Lions yesterday. Uni were jumped in the first quarter. Credit to them for playing the game out. At the risk of controversy, I was very disappointed in the games of Bonney and Young. I feel that they only run one way and are able to get away with that against the community Neafl sides but those 2 senior players were exposed for a lack of defensive pressure yesterday, particularly Damian.

However well done to Uni for their performance this year.

I think that's harsh on Tom Young who definitely brings/brought pressure. Probably fair comment on Bonney but I'd add to that Gillespie, manteit and T Derrickx who was lacking touch and under done (experiment did not work and unsettled side I think). As a result the ball came out of the Uni forward line too easy and too fast, especially 1st qtr. Young coach probably exposed as well, side couldn't/didn't slow game down when they needed to when Lions were on, Lions had plans for Young and Obrien, didn't see Uni plan for a couple of the Lions stars.

FINALS TIPPING WEEK 2
Justabaraker..................... 2....2...4
Allycraft........................... 2....1....3
Stuyd1............................. 2....1....3
Peanut............................. 1....2....3
Grimlock.......................... 1(x)..0...1

GRAND FINAL
Swans v Brisbane

I TIP:-
Swans

Here's a late season event that has me a bit interested...WSU Giants Reserves v Adelaide Crows Reserves on Friday morning.

We wonder sometimes on this forum about where the NEAFL fits into the national rankings, but we get hardly any chance to see a direct comparison. Well, this Friday morning scratch match will give us a little indication (if indeed they even keep score !). We know how the Giants went during the year and, if the result was competitive, even in the limited conditions that will apply, then we will have a little gauge of how our comp compares. Or if one side plays with one hand tied behind their back and STILL smashes it, then that will tell us something.
Then we will all have our own 'yeah buts' about what it means.

Keep a lookout for any mention of this game and the final scores...maybe I'll just quietly read up on it then keep my thoughts to myself !

Bit quiet here. Southport getting ex-saint Murdoch Should help and Redland probably delisted Grewer and Ubergang.

Aspley losing a few I hear. Could be a tough year for the hornets 2018.