2017 trade/draft thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If he's become obsolete as a HBF, why don't we try him in the midfield then? It's what we recruited him for.
IF he got his disposal sorted I think he'd be a good replacement for Hutchy - he's faster, a potentially better disposer and can tackle. Doesn't need to think as much tagging.

Can we expect to remain relevant when we are not picking draftees early?

Here is our possible best 22 for next year with their draft number
upload_2017-9-6_17-57-35.png
The number under the name is the original draft number they were taken the year they were drafted. I have used draft pick 100 when for a rookie. Looking at the team for 2018 and prior to drafting and trading, it looks like my view of our best 22 is that they were taken at an average of draft pick 27. That seems about right. Note – I am not that interested in arguing the best 22 as the above looks there or there abouts from the opinions I have read on the board.

As a result of not managing the drafts in the compromised years and having substandard development, that number looks considerably worse when you look at our best 21 who will be 25 or under at the end of 2018. This by nature excludes our super draft year of 2010 which was after the date that Vozzo took over List Management in his portfolio (and is currently still in it albeit delegated).

The mistakes include poor picks (Colledge, Newman) blowing away a first rounder for Wellers and Redden, not being able to nail a 2nd round pick, etc…..

Subsequently, the best 22 for those 25 or under at the end of 2018 looks a different picture with the average draft range being 50. Nearly double the number of the current best 22. Yes I realise it includes all our rookies but it is not a pretty picture. I suggest the new Board Chairman looks closer at these issues when undertaking their twice a year reviews!

upload_2017-9-6_17-57-55.png

IF he got his disposal sorted I think he'd be a good replacement for Hutchy - he's faster, a potentially better disposer and can tackle. Doesn't need to think as much tagging.
He was almost a tagger (more a defensive mid) at Collingwood. Saying that they had like 12 players going through the midfield at that time in a top 4 team.

Can we expect to remain relevant when we are not picking draftees early?

Here is our possible best 22 for next year with their draft number
View attachment 412494
The number under the name is the original draft number they were taken the year they were drafted. I have used draft pick 100 when for a rookie. Looking at the team for 2018 and prior to drafting and trading, it looks like my view of our best 22 is that they were taken at an average of draft pick 27. That seems about right. Note – I am not that interested in arguing the best 22 as the above looks there or there abouts from the opinions I have read on the board.

As a result of not managing the drafts in the compromised years and having substandard development, that number looks considerably worse when you look at our best 21 who will be 25 or under at the end of 2018. This by nature excludes our super draft year of 2010 which was after the date that Vozzo took over List Management in his portfolio (and is currently still in it albeit delegated).

The mistakes include poor picks (Colledge, Newman) blowing away a first rounder for Wellers and Redden, not being able to nail a 2nd round pick, etc…..

Subsequently, the best 22 for those 25 or under at the end of 2018 looks a different picture with the average draft range being 50. Nearly double the number of the current best 22. Yes I realise it includes all our rookies but it is not a pretty picture. I suggest the new Board Chairman looks closer at these issues when undertaking their twice a year reviews!

View attachment 412496
Interesting way of looking at it. The under 25 team would have a lot higher picks because of our recent high finishes on the ladder and trades of players in (Redden, Wellingham etc) All it really proves is that better players tend to be taken earlier in a draft. Agree that we have been duds at the draft lately. Of high picks only Barass & Nelson looking like regular AFL players at the moment.

WA Talent should see around 7 players drafted - rough guide as follows:

Aaron Naughton - KPD and likely to go first round, may even be top 10
Oscar Allen - Lark Medallist and KPF. If he grows another 3 cm, a late 1st round to early second round. More like a 3rd tall at present
Sam Taylor - old fashioned lock down full back and he is a late second rounder to third rounder for me

distance

Ben Miller - KPF/ruck and a late pick
Jake Patmore - midfielder at the 3rd to 4th round
Brandon Starcevich - HF/midfield at the 5th round to rookie
Callum England - midfielder at the 5th round to rookie

distance

Jonathon Frampton - ruck as a rookie
Christian Ameduri - midfield and a rookie

Names to look out for next year - Jarrad Fazioli, Ian Hill, Louis Miller

I would like us to pick up Patmore from Claremont - like the look of this kid, classy mover and is quick.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Saw him last Sat night out in a Melb club, had a quick chat. He's still in a moon boot. Career over.

Thanks for the update.

Was a favourite on mine at WC , terrific kid sad that he never got to show us how good he could have been .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back