Past #20: Drew Petrie - NM '01-'16 (324gms/428gls) - WCE '17 (8gms/16gls) - thx for everything Drew

Remove this Banner Ad

Drew is going to be playing at Leederville Oval. It turns into a swamp when it rains. Peel/Dockers got a game moved from there last year coz it didn't meet the standard.

2129657-drew-petrie-of-the-kangaroos-shows-the-effects-gettyimages.jpg

He would have missed that 4th quarter goal to ice the game 9/10 times when in our colours.
Happy to see our supporters clapping him though.

Loved the little Drew tribute at 1/4 time and the way our supporters treated him. Well done all!
I don't know if the club always intended the tribute for quarter time, or did it just as Drew walked down to the North cheer squad end. Either way, it was very well done - not over the top, just enough to make the point.

I didn't hear any booing. I did hear a loud shout of "don't you dare" as he lined up from 50 out in the last quarter. Maybe we are too nice, but I was happy with how that went. Friday night was predictably crap, and I was really disappointed by Buckley encouraging it before the game.

PETRIE CONFIRMS EXIT

KANGAROO-turned-Eagle Drew Petrie has confirmed his retirement ... 24 hours after coach Adam Simpson the the news slip on Sunday.

After more than 300 games at North Melbourne, Petrie moved to West Coast for one more season and helped steer the club into the finals on a thrilling final day of the regular season.

Simpson then accidentally announced the big man's decision after the win over Adelaide.

"The cat is out of the bag. I'll retire at season's end." Petrie said on Monday.

"I had a one minute conversation with Adam Simpson on the ground and decided to announce it. I still haven't had a chance to tell players.

"It was spontaneous. I was going to announce this week. I didn't want to take anything from Matt Priddis and Sam Mitchell.

"I didn't want to make too much of a fuss about it, but I wanted to take the chance to thank the West Coast footy club."

Petrie was one of four club greats transitioned out by the Kangaroos at the end of last year but has no regrets after seeing the way Ben Brown developed this year.

"I couldn't have asked for a warmer welcome (at West Coast)," he said.

"This was a one-year plan. There was a little bit of dialogue, but it was the best thing for me and the footy club to call it.

"I saw the year that Ben Brown had, I certainly wouldn't have wanted to stifle his development."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A real win-win of an outcome.

Good for Drew, good for North/BBB, good for West Coast.

Impressed with the way he's won the respect of West Coast's faithful and of the way they've treated him in return.

Class act and a great career. Shame he couldn't snag a flag in the royal blue and white, but it's not like he didn't give 110% trying.

Drew Petrie made his league debut for his junior club Ballarat Swans at the ripe old age of 35 this month.

The former North Melbourne and West Coast champion donned the red and white for the first time in nearly two decades, helping the Swans to a 13-point come-from-behind win over Ballarat Football League rivals Redan.

“It went to plan getting a victory but we did it the hard way after being behind by five goals at quarter-time,”

Petrie, who kicked 444 goals during his 332-game AFL career, started at full-forward but wasn’t in the action until switching into the ruck.

Started again partway through the season, I think, when the Eagles started to be short of numbers through injury.

He took the week off to come back for the 150th, but was listed as "managed".

Remove this Banner Ad

Back